Eagleville vs LEAD - what will the TSSAA do??

Gerry Bertier

I agree with you 100% that a ref should be assigned to both the scorebook and the clock in postseason. However unlike coaches who are required to have college degrees there are many many refs who simply would not be able to keep an accurate book, this is sad but very true. It happens every year, a team full of innocent kids lose their season because of an inept official. We literally had an official at a home game this year with 2 teeth in his head and spoke in broken English, could you imagine him on a book during the post-season lol

37 minutes ago, OldEagleEye said:

I agree with you 100% that a ref should be assigned to both the scorebook and the clock in postseason. However unlike coaches who are required to have college degrees there are many many refs who simply would not be able to keep an accurate book, this is sad but very true. It happens every year, a team full of innocent kids lose their season because of an inept official. We literally had an official at a home game this year with 2 teeth in his head and spoke in broken English, could you imagine him on a book during the post-season lol

The home and away team has a scorebook to keep during any game.   At the end of the day, the official book is what the officials must go by.  This topic shouldn't have anything to do with the officials of this game.  Furthermore, why degrade an official for his appearance.  Instead of blaming and degrading this official, why don't you go to camp to learn how to officiate.  TSSAA can always use people who are very knowledgeable about officiating basketball.  

Sometimes people just don't know what they don't know.

1) There is an official assigned to watch and see if free throws are made... the official scorekeeper.  The official scorekeeper is a part of the officiating crew, and is supposed to wear an official's uniform. Unfortunately this rule is not enforced, which I believe contributes to the confusion in situations like this.

2) Outside of the State tournament (and other tournaments that are well run), the official scorekeeper is provided by the home team. This leads to somewhat inconsistent quality in scorekeeping. And scorekeeping in basketball is probably more important than in any other sport. I know that there are cases in which the head official will designate the visiting scorekeeper as the official scorekeeper, when the home scorekeeper is demonstrably unable to perform.

3) Judging by LEAD's crowd support, they are probably hard pressed to find someone to perform the scorekeeping job. It is obvious that neither the scorekeeper, nor the clockkeeper were especially good at their jobs. That does not mean they were "cheating," unless you think Eagleville's scorekeeper was in on it.

4) the score on the scoreboard is meaningless. Only the score on the official scorebook is important. It is nice, for the benefit of the teams playing, if the score on the scoreboard is correct. In this case, the score on the scoreboard did not agree with the book, and the officials correctly looked at the books and changed the scoreboard to match. To give the officiating crew credit, they checked the score on both the home and visiting books. Those agreed, so that was the score. There is a running score kept on the scorebooks, and that would be the column the officials would check. There would be no reason for them to look at the record of the two free throws, unless there was a discrepancy in the scorebooks! Had Eagleville's scorebook been correct, it would probably have gone to looking at the previous free throws, and the score would have been corrected.

5) Regardless of whether the score was correct after the two free throws, all play from that point forward was based on the official score. It is impossible to say what would have transpired after that point, except it would have been played differently. Therefore, the real injustice would be to change the final result of the game.

6) If the TSSAA were to take any action, based on this game, it should be to require a third (official) scorekeeper at all tournament games. Functioning as a team scorekeeper creates distractions for a scorekeeper. In this case the two scorekeepers were debating whether the player who fouled had 4 fouls or 5 (important in their jobs as team scorekeepers), and failed to record the two made free throws... The question would be whether there is a pool of experienced scorekeepers available to fulfill this function.

On 2/28/2018 at 0:46 PM, wildcatdad01 said:

FACT 1:  Smyrna beat Riverdale 55-39 in an elimination game

FACT 2:  Smyrna did not advance to the next round

Fact 1 + Fact 2 = the result of the game was changed (using video review)

"The result of the game was not changed" is incorrect

The analogy is correct.  I never disagreed both teams should have been DQ'd, I'm simply pointing out the fact that he only way to have changed the result - AND IT WAS CHANGED - was to use video review, something which they said they could not do in 2018.

The problem remains that rules are being selectively enforced and selectively ignored based on... well based on... nobody seems to know.

The question is still on the floor:  What rule(s) changed which permitted video review to be used in 2015 but then prohibited it in 2018.