West TN b-ball

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, CarrollCountySportsFan said:

Congrats to Dresden, Greenfield, and Huntingdon.  Last Huntingdon game I was at seemed like the parents wanted Lowery out as coach. After two consecutive state tournament appearances maybe it will settle them down for a week or so. 

Just left the Huntingdon game. If they play as poised as they did tonight they will be a tough out. Last year I thought they would make a deep run and the Murfreesboro stage got to them. If they win the first game up their and get adjusted to the Glass House, the refs and get some butterflies out it wouldn't suprise me if the make a deep run again.

23 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Just left the Huntingdon game. If they play as poised as they did tonight they will be a tough out. Last year I thought they would make a deep run and the Murfreesboro stage got to them. If they win the first game up their and get adjusted to the Glass House, the refs and get some butterflies out it wouldn't suprise me if the make a deep run again.

I’m not going to disagree with that statement. I wouldn’t necessarily want to see Greenfield if they play their best ball they are a very very good team. 

20 minutes ago, CarrollCountySportsFan said:

I’m not going to disagree with that statement. I wouldn’t necessarily want to see Greenfield if they play their best ball they are a very very good team. 

Greenfield's point guard keeps them in every game because they don't turn the ball over much and just runs the offense well. She ever gets in foul trouble or Darby could be in trouble. That is what scares me about them. But they may not get in foul trouble and play their best ball.

Just now, sls said:

Not sure why Huntingdon folks want to get rid of Coach Lowery. Not too many people have been to multiple schools, built programs from the ground up, sustained them once they get there and end up with over 800 wins.  

Talked to a Huntingdon guy tonight who says he talks about retiring every year and stays. Don't guess they have much choice to talk about replacing him.

22 minutes ago, sls said:

Not sure why Huntingdon folks want to get rid of Coach Lowery. Not too many people have been to multiple schools, built programs from the ground up, sustained them once they get there and end up with over 800 wins.  

Doesn't teach fundamentals. We're the fastest most athletic team in the state. Great coaches don't teach players how to do something they teach them why they do it. You talk basketball to our girls and it goes right over their heads.

10 minutes ago, Croppygenius said:

Doesn't teach fundamentals. We're the fastest most athletic team in the state. Great coaches don't teach players how to do something they teach them why they do it. You talk basketball to our girls and it goes right over their heads.

#1 reason why Weakley Co schools are so much better than Carroll Co schools. They TEACH fundamentals. There has been alot of talent come thru Huntingdon over the years and thats what they have this year. 1-6 or 7 probably one of the most talented teams to ever come thru Huntingdon. If you watch Huntingdon play they out athlete you. Fillies have a hard time with teams that screen and move and run a good motion offense. As good a ball handler #14 is Ive never once seen a screen set for her to get her free. Another thing is a coach needs to be an encourager and build your players up not just roll up your "play sheet" cross your arms and yell "STOP FOULING" or "REBOUND"

29 minutes ago, footballover said:

#1 reason why Weakley Co schools are so much better than Carroll Co schools. They TEACH fundamentals. There has been alot of talent come thru Huntingdon over the years and thats what they have this year. 1-6 or 7 probably one of the most talented teams to ever come thru Huntingdon. If you watch Huntingdon play they out athlete you. Fillies have a hard time with teams that screen and move and run a good motion offense. As good a ball handler #14 is Ive never once seen a screen set for her to get her free. Another thing is a coach needs to be an encourager and build your players up not just roll up your "play sheet" cross your arms and yell "STOP FOULING" or "REBOUND"

To me though fundamentals should be taught at the middle school level. Saying a high school coach should teach kids fundamentals is outrageous. Would you expect a high school football coach to teach a kid how to block, tackle, or get in a three point stance? A kid might need some tweaking on their fundamentals once they get to high school but they shouldn’t have to be taught the fundamentals of a game they’ve played for most of their lives. Just my opinion and I don’t have a dog in the race I do know that Lowery is respected in coaching circles though. He may not be respected is social circles but he definitely is in the coaching circles. 

9 minutes ago, CarrollCountySportsFan said:

To me though fundamentals should be taught at the middle school level. Saying a high school coach should teach kids fundamentals is outrageous. Would you expect a high school football coach to teach a kid how to block, tackle, or get in a three point stance? A kid might need some tweaking on their fundamentals once they get to high school but they shouldn’t have to be taught the fundamentals of a game they’ve played for most of their lives. Just my opinion and I don’t have a dog in the race I do know that Lowery is respected in coaching circles though. He may not be respected is social circles but he definitely is in the coaching circles. 

Well the Willie Trevethans Sean Stephensons Brian Haskins Randy Fraziers of Weakley Co all are involved in their youth programs. They invest in what the future of their programs look like. The reason why the football program has been so successful over the past several years has alot to do with the youth football feeder program. Same thing that is being run in high school is the same thing taught in 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th grade. By the way I dont think Lowery has ever been to a youth or middle school basketball game in Huntingdon 

57 minutes ago, footballover said:

Well the Willie Trevethans Sean Stephensons Brian Haskins Randy Fraziers of Weakley Co all are involved in their youth programs. They invest in what the future of their programs look like. The reason why the football program has been so successful over the past several years has alot to do with the youth football feeder program. Same thing that is being run in high school is the same thing taught in 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th grade. By the way I dont think Lowery has ever been to a youth or middle school basketball game in Huntingdon 

I can’t speak on whether he has or not although I’m sure he has been at games some time or another. I won’t even disagree with you that maybe the little ones should be running the same offense/defense as the high school from the jump. Here is where I don’t agree. If I were a middle school coach (which I’m not) I honestly don’t think I’d want the high school coach whether it’s football, basketball, baseball, or even softball coming to practices or things like that to tell me how I should coach/run my team. I’m my point there should be communication there but I would feel a little disrespected if the high school coach wherever I was coaching thought he/she should put there two cents in on how I do my job. If they don’t like the way the middle coach is doing things if it ever comes available because the middle school coach leaves then they should do both. But I don’t think you should just show up and tell someone who is getting paid how to do their job.