AA state tournament

swipper

15 hours ago, TradgicallyHip said:

Memphis is a different beast, much respect to them, and I don't think there is any question one of their teams is the favorite in each classification. The great thing about a tournament is in a one game scenario anything can happen. Fulton is as well coached as anyone in the state with athletes galore. The moment will not be too big for them either.  As for Alcoa, though their coaching is extremely limited, if #3 decides to share the ball (which is rare) both #4 and #10 can absolutely stroke it from three. If they can get shots and get hot then an upset over Hamilton is not out of the question (provided they get there). The three ball can be a great equalizer in a one game scenario.

Your criticism of Dante Harris( aka #3)  is uncalled for.  I know he has good teammates surrounding him but Alcoa would not be in the state tournament without him.  Give me a PG that can score any day of the week over a PG that is not an offensive threat and distributes the ball only.  I would rather try to rein in a scoring PG than have to play a PG who can’t put the ball in the basket.

If your game is getting closely scrutinized on coacht it is usually a sign that you are very good and that there is probably some jealousy involved.  Guys who aren’t real difference makers don’t get mentioned much.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Norman Dale said:

Your criticism of Dante Harris( aka #3)  is uncalled for.  I know he has good teammates surrounding him but Alcoa would not be in the state tournament without him.  Give me a PG that can score any day of the week over a PG that is not an offensive threat and distributes the ball only.  I would rather try to rein in a scoring PG than have to play a PG who can’t put the ball in the basket.

If your game is getting closely scrutinized on coacht it is usually a sign that you are very good and that there is probably some jealousy involved.  Guys who aren’t real difference makers don’t get mentioned much.

I have no idea who this kid is but the bottom line is PG play wins championships and it sounds like Alcoa has a young PG that can hoop and just needs to be groomed.

On 3/6/2018 at 8:59 AM, tomthetiger said:

Hamilton will win it all!

tomthetiger ... where are my manners. Welcome to the 'T'. The presence of Memphis posters is steadily growing on here. I'm so glad to see you come on here and post commentary. There are a few of us from Memphis who frequent these boards.  There are those who only post in Basketball threads. There are those who only post in Football threads. There are a small set of folks, like me, who post in both. 

Keep reppin'.

3 hours ago, OldSportsGuy said:

I have no idea who this kid is but the bottom line is PG play wins championships and it sounds like Alcoa has a young PG that can hoop and just needs to be groomed.

That's the great thing about this time of year. You get to see some good talent from other parts of the state, that ordinarily, you would get to see. He's only a sophomore too! I'm going to be playing the 'On-Demand' NFHS videos the following week, just to see folks I don't get a chance to see on a regular basis.

Edited by kwc

4 hours ago, Norman Dale said:

Maybe so and I apologize for appearing to be beating up on the kid. That was not my intention. I was trying to merely point out that his tendency to be self absorbed is not helping him or his team get any better and if they play that way next week they will be one and done.  

Jealous? Seriously? I don't think there are many coaches in ET that wouldn't take Lacy over #3. If not on pure talent on the intangibles like attitude, leadership and ability to deliver in the clutch. Serious daggers thrown by Dudda late in both games at Alcoa this year. Heck, #3 is not even the best sophomore PG in his own county (Joe Anderson).

Also remember, other guys can't become real difference makers when you have a PG that dominates the ball. That kind of mentality is also what creates culture issues in the locker room that can ruin a promising program. Jody Wright is all over the kind of stuff.....that is why he is a winner. Do you have great confidence that is being handled at Alcoa? Also, you really think Alcoa makes it to state without at least a couple of the supporting cast members stepping up at critical moments throughout the year? Those "don't make it without him" kind of statements are what promotes the kind of culture I just mentioned. It is poison.

22 minutes ago, TradgicallyHip said:

Maybe so and I apologize for appearing to be beating up on the kid. That was not my intention. I was trying to merely point out that his tendency to be self absorbed is not helping him or his team get any better and if they play that way next week they will be one and done.  

Jealous? Seriously? I don't think there are many coaches in ET that wouldn't take Lacy over #3. If not on pure talent on the intangibles like attitude, leadership and ability to deliver in the clutch. Serious daggers thrown by Dudda late in both games at Alcoa this year. Heck, #3 is not even the best sophomore PG in his own county (Joe Anderson).

Also remember, other guys can't become real difference makers when you have a PG that dominates the ball. That kind of mentality is also what creates culture issues in the locker room that can ruin a promising program. Jody Wright is all over the kind of stuff.....that is why he is a winner. Do you have great confidence that is being handled at Alcoa? Also, you really think Alcoa makes it to state without at least a couple of the supporting cast members stepping up at critical moments throughout the year? Those "don't make it without him" kind of statements are what promotes the kind of culture I just mentioned. It is poison.

All I know is that Alcoa hasn’t been to the state tournament in a while and they made it this year with Dante Harris as a sophomore PG so I think he is doing something right. Like I said, when guys get scrutinized on coacht, it is usually a sign that they are very good. 

Also, I don’t know who is the best out of the sophomores Harris, Anderson , or Lacy but I don’t think it is as clear cut as you think it is. You obviously think Lacy and Anderson are clearly better than Harris- that’s fine if that is your opinion.

Edited by Norman Dale

13 hours ago, Springbrookrat said:

You can have your National exposure, I want a state championship. That's the only thing that really matters. Apparently your knowledge of teams outside of Memphis is kneel. Everyone on here knows Memphis has excelled in basketball the last 25 years and your probably right that the Memphis school should be the favorites. All I was trying to say is district 4 (region2) has always done well in the state tournament. If you look at the last 30 years in 2AA, I believe district 2 has had the most team in the state tournament than any other district.  Might want to check that out. 

Also we have won games over national ranked opponents before. It was a few years ago but we did make the USA Today paper for winning a Christmas Tournament in Orlando. We were the best team in 2AA that year but wasn't healthy when we rolled into the state tournament.  

There were plenty of Teams that we (Hamilton) that could have won the state championship but it was the fact we had to play other fine Memphis teams to get up there and did not win. I know about Tennessee high school sports. I know about those great football teams out of Alcoa and Oak Ridge, Maryville,  Riverdale. I do know about teams outside of Memphis.

22 hours ago, tomthetiger said:

you know what Hamilton did to Pearl-Cohn earlier and you know Maplewood canceled their game with Hamilton.

You lost some there. Pearl was the worst team in the district and Maplewood was 5th. Stratford, East and Whites Creek were all solid.

21 hours ago, TradgicallyHip said:

I keep up with hoops pretty good, is Lacy number 14 from Fulton?  Serious question, I not I do not know who he is...

Harris and Anderson are top 6 players in the state of tn in the 2020 class, and are both solid college prospects.  Unless Im missing something I think coaches would take their chance with next level guys

5 hours ago, williebgovs04 said:

I keep up with hoops pretty good, is Lacy number 14 from Fulton?  Serious question, I not I do not know who he is...

Harris and Anderson are top 6 players in the state of tn in the 2020 class, and are both solid college prospects.  Unless Im missing something I think coaches would take their chance with next level guys

Yes, #14 from Fulton. My opinion is not based on projections, though Lacy is ranked and will play at the next level as well. My opinion is based on ability as a team-leading PG to help deliver wins at the HS level now. Some seem consumed by showcasing only themselves in an attempt to get to the next level while ignoring that others are in the floor with him. Therefore their overall value is significantly diminished. I guess to your point some coaches would believe they could rein that in and therefore take the higher level player.

OK, yes 14 for fulton is a very nice player.  His quickness and ability to get to the paint is superb,but I think his size will keep him from a mid major level. When Williams was that age I thought he was a lot further along than Lacey, and he never got the big offer.  As far as high school you may be on to something there, but a lot of that has to do with jody.

Best of luck to the falcons and tornadoes