Penny to University of Memphis??????

OldSportsGuy

On 3/12/2018 at 9:32 PM, B52bomber3 said:

You know how much NCAA made on march madness last year 800 million . Players want to be able to get an agent have endorsement deals get paid etc. players and coaches all get together and boycott . Can you imagine this Tuesday or even Thursday when the true tournament begins all teams refused to take the floor till NCAA agreed to at least look at that situation . I know it would never happen but NCAA would cave because this tournament is their big money maker . They made 1 billion dollars last year . 800 million coming from march madness . They would have to listen 

Same with the CWS and the bowls. Would change the world but it would never happen.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:30 AM, OldSportsGuy said:

Here is the ESPN link to the story that is talking about Penny to University of Memphis

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22672236/memphis-tigers-looking-firing-tubby-smith-bringing-penny-hardaway

Whitehaven gets it started for Memphis, 53-36 over Knoxville Powell. 

I could see a school like Memphis hiring Penny to be an assistant coach. But I don’t think there is any way he will get hired as a head coach at a high major D1 university at this point- he’s not ready, IMO. Even if he gets top notch talent he would get outcoached by other more experienced coaches who likewise have top notch talent.

33 minutes ago, Norman Dale said:

I could see a school like Memphis hiring Penny to be an assistant coach. But I don’t think there is any way he will get hired as a head coach at a high major D1 university at this point- he’s not ready, IMO. Even if he gets top notch talent he would get outcoached by other more experienced coaches who likewise have top notch talent.

If Penny is not ready, then when will he be ready? I think he'll be fine. Am I expecting Memphis to be a "blue-blood" school? No. But he'll automatically make Memphis better than what Tubby did. And the fans will be engaging, therefore, the athletic department will receive more revenue money and they don't have to worry about paying that $800,000 dollars to the Memphis Grizzlies and FedEx Forum because of a lack of attendance.

There was a faction of Memphis fans and Alumni wanting Penny hired to replace Pastner. I believed Penny was the best hire then and think he still is the best hire. He will get the talent to Memphis and they will be competitive. If he gets good X and Os assistants, they could be really good. I never liked the Tubby hire. Memphis was not a good spot for him.

Edited by LetMeHearYA

17 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

If Penny is not ready, then when will he be ready? I think he'll be fine. Am I expecting Memphis to be a "blue-blood" school? No. But he'll automatically make Memphis better than what Tubby did. And the fans will be engaging, therefore, the athletic department will receive more revenue money and they don't have to worry about paying that $800,000 dollars to the Memphis Grizzlies and FedEx Forum because of a lack of attendance.

Since I posted, I have read a couple of articles and it does appear Memphis is headed in the direction of hiring Penny. I hope it works out but I don’t think it will, although it will generate interest like you say. However, there is a big difference between generating interest and winning. Penny will probably recruit well but so did Josh Pastner. It’s no accident that Memphis won big with Calipari as the head coach- Cal can recruit AND coach. I personally think Memphis should go after a proven college head coach that would be a good fit - somebody like Steve Forbes of ETSU. 

I will agree on one more thing- Tubby Smith was a TERRIBLE hire by Memphis. I knew that wouldn’t work out- Penny would be a much better hire than Tubby.

Edited by Norman Dale

4 hours ago, Norman Dale said:

Since I posted, I have read a couple of articles and it does appear Memphis is headed in the direction of hiring Penny. I hope it works out but I don’t think it will, although it will generate interest like you say. However, there is a big difference between generating interest and winning. Penny will probably recruit well but so did Josh Pastner. It’s no accident that Memphis won big with Calipari as the head coach- Cal can recruit AND coach. I personally think Memphis should go after a proven college head coach that would be a good fit - somebody like Steve Forbes of ETSU. 

I will agree on one more thing- Tubby Smith was a TERRIBLE hire by Memphis. I knew that wouldn’t work out- Penny would be a much better hire than Tubby.

Penny CAN coach. Will he get outcoached when his talented team meets up with other teams with like talent? That is a wait and see proposition. He's done it in a big way in the AAU arena, as well as, in the high school level. East is a nationally ranked public high school. That's unheard of ... it is usually the prep schools. I know that's not D-1 big time college basketball ... but he's done exemplary on every level. Why wouldn't he excell at the U of M? We found out that Pastner couldn't coach, along with being overly dogmatic and just downright stubborn. He eventually lost his team and was crushed under the pressure he put on himself, more then anything else. He was WAY TOO ANAL. I don't think Penny is like Pastner at all, except, they can both recruit. That's it. Penny will be a starkly improved and better coach then Pastner ever was or will be. Penny is actually a terrific, knowledgable coach. I'm not worried about his Xs and Os either. He's got that department down pat as well. He's also a great motivator, as well as, a very good tactician. He's a defense first coach who has the understanding, commitmrent, and respect of his players. I couldn't disagree with you more. Penny has already targeted some excellent staff to hire when he gets the job. He's no dummy and he knows the coaching staff will be as crucial as the talent level of the recruits he brings in. He's in tune with todays culture of young people. This is actually a slam dunk. Yeah, he's going to go through a learning curve ... but he is well able to handle it. Just look at his focus and his team's focus currently. None of them are distracted and they will get the 3rd ball dispite all of the talk swirling around him... and THEN will he focus on the U of M job. 

Yeah ... Penny will do just fine. 

Edited by kwc