Columbia academy moving to Division II in 2019

fredjones

i think the only reason mpt football didn't get them on the schedule is because they moved classifications and the scheduling didn't work out. it was after the football scheduling when all sports boycotted CA. it wasnt a football thing because in TSSAA football you cant refuse to play a region game 

22 hours ago, junglefan said:

i think the only reason mpt football didn't get them on the schedule is because they moved classifications and the scheduling didn't work out. it was after the football scheduling when all sports boycotted CA. it wasnt a football thing because in TSSAA football you cant refuse to play a region game 

Believe me...we would have followed along with all other sports.  We quit them in basketball...and we would have in football too.  I heard we whined the loudest in the conversations with Dr Marczak about the boycotting them

I really don't know...that whole division is weird.  I've not been involved with anything but public schools...so I have nothing to compare.   There are big number differences in enrollment within classifications.  Guess we can watch and see...

Edited by tigersfan

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:22 PM, TheMirrorThief said:

government schools are failing on every level...privates offer kids an EDUCATION...yes its shocking but as the old saying goes...you get what you pay for...unless you try to get from Uncle SAM who you pay and get fail

WRONG. On every level, that's an untrue statement. If your school isn't meeting your standards, get off your tail and get involved...not slandering and downgrading involved either. As a taxpayer (presumably), the school belongs to you and your community. School boards meet monthly, so go to one and ask some questions. All the facts are available at your Director of Schools fingertips, such as ACT scores, graduation rates, college enrollment percentages, ect.. Uncle Sam mandates that these benchmarks are monitored, and comparison's to other schools are supposed to be public knowledge. Ask about the Ayers Foundation (I believe that it's available to your system) also...with their counselors and grant writers, virtually every student with passing grades who wishes to enroll in higher education will have the opportunity. If your public school is underachieving, you have the opportunity to run for your district's board seat and change things...or you can just anonymously slur them on a sports forum's message board and see if that helps.

Just a FYI...at Scotts Hill our average ACT score last year was between 22 and 23 (state target is 21 by 2021), graduation rate was 100% (averaging over 98% for the last six years), college enrollment was over 90% (check it for yourself), and proficiencies in every subject were well above state averages. The school has won state awards for those numbers, we have had the teacher of the year for the entire state, and many individual students have received national accolades for their achievements. Bragging? Yes, and if our little hole in the wall, one four way stop town who educates every kid who gets off the bus can do it, yours can as well.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

You definitely have a great deal to brag about tradertwo.  Sounds like you have a good thing going. 

Having said that, I don't believe that TheMirrorThief was completely wrong.  I believe that your community is behind your school system...and help them be what they are.  That is NOT the case everywhere.  Your school's accomplishments are unique.  The state as a whole is much further behind.  You surely understand the complaints of those whose schools are behind...and I'm sure they are concerned, involved people.  Running for a board seat doesn't necessarily change things if the money to make changes isn't available.  My school MtP has been revitalized recently...after floundering for several years.  We have had some recent growth...but we are still very far behind. I definitely understand the frustration of others...

• Like 1

On 4/26/2018 at 0:38 PM, tigersfan said:

Yeah...we don't seem to want to step up our game.  We...here in Maury County...just want to shut out those who have a successful run.  I have said it before and I'll say it again...I'm ashamed that my team was one of those who refused to schedule CA any more.  We seem to forget that for YEARS we beat them in regular season games...and took home the Daily Herald award.  When the tide turned and they began to beat us...we tucked tail and ran.  

knowin exactly what u b tryin to say tigersfan......until Fant arrived here at Vermont Avenue...all the PUBS round Chattanooga and the surroundin Valley got there bellies full of throttlin the Fighting Irish of ND.....year after year after year.....pounded there breastes until they were blue with victory chants and newspaper articles bout how they takin down that upity school...this went on for 60 plus years with only 3 or 4 season of only 8 wins...

...then when Fant arrived and the Irish climb up to near top of the food chain over here in 2012 and statrted turnin the tide year after year.....they all started cryin foul and cheatin around here and in the valley...and lots quit schedulin us...Alcoa didnt tho

Booger just sayin :thumb:

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:21 AM, tigersfan said:

You definitely have a great deal to brag about tradertwo.  Sounds like you have a good thing going. 

Having said that, I don't believe that TheMirrorThief was completely wrong.  I believe that your community is behind your school system...and help them be what they are.  That is NOT the case everywhere.  Your school's accomplishments are unique.  The state as a whole is much further behind.  You surely understand the complaints of those whose schools are behind...and I'm sure they are concerned, involved people.  Running for a board seat doesn't necessarily change things if the money to make changes isn't available.  My school MtP has been revitalized recently...after floundering for several years.  We have had some recent growth...but we are still very far behind. I definitely understand the frustration of others...

The community is a huge part of SH's success. Countless hours of volunteer work and money that a community like ours can't really afford have been poured into supporting our schools, and that's not by accident. Give people a chance to help and they will surprise you...don't believe me, orchestrate a project and ask for it. Our FFA chapter (top 5 in state for years) recently needed a "barn". They set a goal to raise $6,000, and raised $20,000...the state embellishment grant administrator was so impressed that he said that there was a matching grant available, but had a $26,000 minimum. One auction/dinner later with donated and built items, and they had another $10,000 +. That's a total of over $56,000 from a goal of six.

Our accomplishments aren't easily or quickly attained, but are far from unique. Bradford is ranked slightly higher than us (we're gunning for them) in most independent sites rankings, and neighboring Chester County is not far behind. The "right" people in just a few places make all the difference. In less than ten years we went from one of the worst to one of the best, with the placement of a Principal and a Director of Schools.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but for folks to say that the "system" can't work, when some do so well irk's me a little, and every effort makes a difference, no matter how small.

Edited by tradertwo
added content