Best Ever in Tennessee?

WilleTheWildcat

Who do you think is the best ever in Tennessee Girls Basketball? Use whatever criteria you want and have fun with this.

I am going to offer my opinion for the Oak Ridge Lady Wildcats. Three time State Champions and six time Runner-ups. Dozens of District and Regional titles. Two Miss Basketball AAA awards by Jennifer Wilson. Ranked Nationally several times. Former player is coach at LSU. Former Coach in a multiple Hall of Famer and was offered a spot on the Lady Vols bench by Coach Summit but stayed at ORHS. Several former players in various Hall of Fames. JENNIFER AZZI All-American at Stanford, MVP of the Women's NCAA Tournament. A NCAA National Champion. An Olympic champion. Founding member of the WNBA. Best player that the Lady Vols missed out on. Many AAU National Champions and college players.

Why does Tennessee play 5 on 5 girls basketball? It was a courageous young lady from Oak Ridge who went to court to challenge the Girls Half Court game. It took so much  time to win the various court cases that by the time the TSSAA was ordered to go Full Court, she graduated from ORHS and never played the game she worked so hard for.

Other teams I have admired (and hated LOL) are Shelbyville, Riverdale, South Greene, Meigs County, Upperman and Clay County. I apologize to the West Tennessee teams but I just don't know everything about TN Girls Basketball.

2 hours ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

Who do you think is the best ever in Tennessee Girls Basketball? Use whatever criteria you want and have fun with this.

I am going to offer my opinion for the Oak Ridge Lady Wildcats. Three time State Champions and six time Runner-ups. Dozens of District and Regional titles. Two Miss Basketball AAA awards by Jennifer Wilson. Ranked Nationally several times. Former player is coach at LSU. Former Coach in a multiple Hall of Famer and was offered a spot on the Lady Vols bench by Coach Summit but stayed at ORHS. Several former players in various Hall of Fames. JENNIFER AZZI All-American at Stanford, MVP of the Women's NCAA Tournament. A NCAA National Champion. An Olympic champion. Founding member of the WNBA. Best player that the Lady Vols missed out on. Many AAU National Champions and college players.

Why does Tennessee play 5 on 5 girls basketball? It was a courageous young lady from Oak Ridge who went to court to challenge the Girls Half Court game. It took so much  time to win the various court cases that by the time the TSSAA was ordered to go Full Court, she graduated from ORHS and never played the game she worked so hard for.

Other teams I have admired (and hated LOL) are Shelbyville, Riverdale, South Greene, Meigs County, Upperman and Clay County. I apologize to the West Tennessee teams but I just don't know everything about TN Girls Basketball.

You would have to include Livingston Academy

The Shelbyville team under the the Rick Insell with 775 wins 148 losses (.840)  10 state championships and holds the record in Tenn for 110 game winning streak as well as a few national championships.. Riverdale as of late has done very well with winning state championships 7 of 9 appearances  National chamions last year and in contention this year and ranked the last 4 

5 hours ago, BullShark said:

Hard to argue against the Rick Insell Shelbyville teams!

David Russell's Bradford teams of the mid nineties...three class A gold balls in a row, and multiple Miss Basketball winners. The late Bill Haney commented on the air one year that in his opinion Bradford was the best team in Murfreesboro, and it wasn't close. That's pretty awesome for any single A team.

On 3/10/2018 at 3:19 PM, WilleTheWildcat said:

Azzi best I have seen all around with my two eyes.

14 hours ago, ParisRiverRat said:

Argument starts and ends with Shelbyville Insell years.

You are probably right but does anybody know how Oak Ridge did head to head with the Shelbyvillettes? Oak Ridge's David Clary would know exactly but he doesn't always follow CoachT. I used to hate Shelbyville but then got involved with following AAU Basketball and found out SCHS, ORHS and many other schools had players playing together to win National AAU Championships.. I soon became a fan of those players.

I guess what I am saying is that Tennessee has so many great programs that picking just one may do a disservice to the talent the state has historically produced. Just be proud of your local team and GO TENNESSEE GIRLS BASETBALL.

6 hours ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

You are probably right but does anybody know how Oak Ridge did head to head with the Shelbyvillettes? Oak Ridge's David Clary would know exactly but he doesn't always follow CoachT. I used to hate Shelbyville but then got involved with following AAU Basketball and found out SCHS, ORHS and many other schools had players playing together to win National AAU Championships.. I soon became a fan of those players.

I guess what I am saying is that Tennessee has so many great programs that picking just one may do a disservice to the talent the state has historically produced. Just be proud of your local team and GO TENNESSEE GIRLS BASETBALL.

I had the privilege of coaching many of those Shelbyville and Oak Ridge girls along with the best players from other schools in the state. We were able to compete with teams from all over the country and were very successful. I know for a long stretch, every Lady Vol from the state of Tennessee played in our combined program at the Nationals. We sent players to about every SEC school and many ACC schools. You know Tennessee basketball is strong when Pat and Geno were stopping by to congratulate your team.

I would probably give the overall nod to the Shelbyville team but I've seen Oak Ridge, South Greene, Livingston Academy, and Meigs teams that would beat them at their peak.

• Upvote 1

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:59 AM, Blaze45 said:

The Shelbyville team under the the Rick Insell with 775 wins 148 losses (.840)  10 state championships and holds the record in Tenn for 110 game winning streak as well as a few national championships.. Riverdale as of late has done very well with winning state championships 7 of 9 appearances  National chamions last year and in contention this year and ranked the last 4 

Shelbyville and it's not close!  Rick (Little Man) Insell had it rolling for a number of years.