Never too early...Who Wins Class A 2018-19 and why?

gogold

I think people are blowing this way out of proportion.  The teams that played at UTM last night started this conversation by saying it was obvious the teams were having trouble adjusting to the bigger open layout of the gym.  Which very obviously means that district 13 being able to play the first rich tourney there is an advantage to them over district 14.  There is really no arguing that point   

and to anyone saying that GC couldn’t handle the crowd that would come obviously doesn’t know what they are talking about.   That gym has hosted double A tournaments with schools way bigger than these for years    There is a reason Westview built a gym modeled after GC    It can accommodate a lot more than any other single a schools around   

21 minutes ago, UCSportsFan said:

We play our district at White County and the years we host the region we play the region tournament there as well. Pretty common practice. 

All at a HS setting. All I am saying is AllVol talking about UTM being a tough place to get accustomed to. Well they get to play District there and Region so they get to get accustomed to it.

Just now, Greenfieldfan said:

That’s why it’s a good thing we are playing at the college.  

I have no problem having it at UTM, but the reality is, these teams are going to shoot the ball poorly. Like I said, I enjoy watching basketball where the shots go in. District 13-A teams shot poorly last night, and most likely, 14-A teams will shoot poorly in the first round of the region tournament.

13 minutes ago, westtnsportsfan said:

I think people are blowing this way out of proportion.  The teams that played at UTM last night started this conversation by saying it was obvious the teams were having trouble adjusting to the bigger open layout of the gym.  Which very obviously means that district 13 being able to play the first rich tourney there is an advantage to them over district 14.  There is really no arguing that point   

and to anyone saying that GC couldn’t handle the crowd that would come obviously doesn’t know what they are talking about.   That gym has hosted double A tournaments with schools way bigger than these for years    There is a reason Westview built a gym modeled after GC    It can accommodate a lot more than any other single a schools around   

I have been to GC when Butler played and it was packed standing room only for only two teams playing. I personally dont like to pay and stand for 8 quarters. Especially when there are options and the colleges are accommodating.

On 2/13/2019 at 6:54 AM, Greenfieldfan said:

You must not know the Darby sisters, no one has invested more time in their kids than the Darby’s. Karly will have competition for Miss Basketball someday from freshman Edie Darby. Tess is one of the best three players in class A this year.  

Chloe has the upper hand on Miss Basketball after the state tournament  last year.  Chloe is a complete player and very unselfish and can play major college ball.

Hopefully we will get to see a matchup with Loretto against Greenfield someday. I wish we could do a home and home with Loretto. 

Know the Darby & McNeil families very well & I'll have to say from reading all your posts for awhile now, you are a little biased when it comes to your Greenfield players. Chloe has had the same amount of time invested in her training as Tess & Edie. Chloe has had a tough year losing one of her main supporters & it has only fueled her to step up her game. The last thing Greenfield needs is these players feeling like they're competing against each other or resentment over one being nominated over another. All three are outstanding players & AAU ball & their parents are HUGE factors for their success thus far.

Edited by dtownfan364

As it has been pointed out, the site of the region tournament rotates between districts and this year is 13A's turn. I can assure you tournament organizers were not looking at having any "unfair advantage" when selecting UTM as its site. They were seeking a venue that would comfortably hold the crowds and UTM officials wisely see this as an opportunity to get high school kids on their campus. The folks in Carroll Co. & Bethel have done the same. It is an adjustment playing there but it will help whoever gets to MTSU.

My suggestion would be 14A consider reaching out to Union for the same type arrangement. DeLay Gym holds nearly 2,000 which should be sufficient for district/region tournaments. Or certainly Oman Arena, which seats more than the Elam Center and hosted the NAIA Women's National Championships for 21 years until 2011. In these scenarios, 14A would have that advantage.

• Like 1