Never too early...Who Wins Class A 2018-19 and why?

gogold

2 hours ago, Newkidontheblock said:

Maybe not about Loretto, but I did hear your coach on the Coaches Corner show one Saturday talking about how Union City was obviously a 2A school. Not sure where he got those numbers, and he was probably only talking about the boys game in this instance, but it's not the first time he has made comments like this. And the odd thing is, Union City is not even the biggest school in the region...but again, as you said, none of those other schools on the A/AA borderline seem to get mentioned. 

They are one of the biggest in the region. According to TSSAA's report in October, Union City turned in an enrollment of 454. Gibson county turned in 481. Union City is 2A in football and they are one of the biggest schools in single A basketball. Union City has went back and forth over the years between Double A and Single A in all sports.

13 hours ago, rebelman101 said:

The Fillies played much better in the second half. Yea we played hard the whole game but foul trouble and Davis not playing were the deciding factors. Fillies better turn it up if they want to beat Loretto or Summertown. 

Fillies are a much better team with Fuller on the court. McKenzie has some good young players but just not as long and fast as the Fillies. Jones for a 6 footer is big time fast. She just runs away from defenders. Problem is the Fillies don't utilize their speed. We should be shooting layups all night but we get in no hurry to get the ball down the court. In my opinion the Fillies have been the fastest, most athletic team in the state the last 3 seasons and walk the ball down the court. Drives me nuts!

1 minute ago, Croppygenius said:

Fillies are a much better team with Fuller on the court. McKenzie has some good young players but just not as long and fast as the Fillies. Jones for a 6 footer is big time fast. She just runs away from defenders. Problem is the Fillies don't utilize their speed. We should be shooting layups all night but we get in no hurry to get the ball down the court. In my opinion the Fillies have been the fastest, most athletic team in the state the last 3 seasons and walk the ball down the court. Drives me nuts!

They are quicker than us at every position on the floor. They definitely should drive the ball, but it seems that most times they just settle for the three. The Fillies are one of the fastest teams I have seen all season.

22 minutes ago, rebelman101 said:

They are one of the biggest in the region. According to TSSAA's report in October, Union City turned in an enrollment of 454. Gibson county turned in 481. Union City is 2A in football and they are one of the biggest schools in single A basketball. Union City has went back and forth over the years between Double A and Single A in all sports.

I absolutely agree with that. In that region Gibson at 481, Union City 454, Madison 450, and Halls 405. In your region Loretto 531 and Summertown 486. 

And I understand Union City has been 2A before and 2A in football now. I don't always listen to that radio program, but i listened that morning and just thought it was odd Greenfield's coach made a point of saying 3-4 times that Union City was a 2A school or Union City is NOT a 1A school, something like that I don't remember actual quote now. I thought maybe he was just talking about football, but the more he talked about it the more I realized he was singling out Union City. It was just odd to me because I guess Gibson is most recent to drop down from 2A (did Madison used to be 2A also?? I really can't remember now). 

8 minutes ago, Newkidontheblock said:

I absolutely agree with that. In that region Gibson at 481, Union City 454, Madison 450, and Halls 405. In your region Loretto 531 and Summertown 486. 

And I understand Union City has been 2A before and 2A in football now. I don't always listen to that radio program, but i listened that morning and just thought it was odd Greenfield's coach made a point of saying 3-4 times that Union City was a 2A school or Union City is NOT a 1A school, something like that I don't remember actual quote now. I thought maybe he was just talking about football, but the more he talked about it the more I realized he was singling out Union City. It was just odd to me because I guess Gibson is most recent to drop down from 2A (did Madison used to be 2A also?? I really can't remember now). 

Who knows what he was talking about. Madison has always been single A in basketball. I wish you had a little more background info about what they were talking about before he made those statements. I am fine with Loretto and Summertown being in our region. It provides great competition for teams like Huntingdon McKenzie and Clarksburg. I know that McKenzie girls will probably not win against Summertown or Loretto but they are great opponents to see how well we can play against a big time team. On the other hand, I think our boys team can beat any team in that region. The way that our guys have playing lately, other teams better watch out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rebelman101 said:

Who knows what he was talking about. Madison has always been single A in basketball. I wish you had a little more background info about what they were talking about before he made those statements. I am fine with Loretto and Summertown being in our region. It provides great competition for teams like Huntingdon McKenzie and Clarksburg. I know that McKenzie girls will probably not win against Summertown or Loretto but they are great opponents to see how well we can play against a big time team. On the other hand, I think our boys team can beat any team in that region. The way that our guys have playing lately, other teams better watch out.

As the co-host of Coaches Corner during basketball season let me answer your question. I believe the point Coach Trevathan was making was the big difference between Greenfield's enrollment and Union City's. He may have been calling them 2A because they are 2A in football. The classification breaks are what they are and unless they get a big enrollment bump the next two years Union City will continue to be one of the largest Class A basketball schools. Projections based on enrollments for the next two years have Loretto moving to AA and Summertown & Gibson Co. "on the bubble."

6 hours ago, NWhoopaholic said:

As the co-host of Coaches Corner during basketball season let me answer your question. I believe the point Coach Trevathan was making was the big difference between Greenfield's enrollment and Union City's. He may have been calling them 2A because they are 2A in football. The classification breaks are what they are and unless they get a big enrollment bump the next two years Union City will continue to be one of the largest Class A basketball schools. Projections based on enrollments for the next two years have Loretto moving to AA and Summertown & Gibson Co. "on the bubble."

until 2020

Class A Girls

One only has to remember Shelbyvilles dominance some years back. Loretto is solid. Summertown is beatable. Richland has 2 outstanding athletes, but dont expect them to compete with Loretto, but maybe with Summertown. I have seen all of them play.. Maury County Schools are Unit Schools that have lower enrollments. The better athletes tend to move to larger schools or Private Schools to better their opportunity in athletics. Several athletes have transferred to CA in last few years.. This happened at Shelbyville some years ago, still happens today. 

1 hour ago, Greenfieldfan said:

Looks like Gibson County has got it going and is the team to beat this year. GC PUT ON A CLINIC TONIGHT.  42-6 at one point. 

I appreciate the compliment. GC is playing well right now as is TCA in our district. Our Point Guard has really stepped her game up and is playing well along with others but she is the QB and it all starts with her.  That game will be a dogfight Monday Night. I will be there tomm. Night to watch you guys. Should be a good one. I got you  guys by 10. I think Gleason will slow it down and play you tough. They are a very disciplined team. Good luck. 

11 hours ago, NWhoopaholic said:

Thanks for finally clearing up the situation. Even though it wasn't my question I still wanted to know what he was talking about. In an earlier post I said that Union City is 2a in football and he may have been referring to that. Union City boys always have a great team and the girls can play with anybody if they have a good game. I think that having UC in District 13 is a plus because not many teams are athletic as they are.