2018-2019 8AA

tnhoosier

Congratulations to Upperman for repeating and to Macon County for their hard earned runner up.  This season ended with 2 8AA teams in the State Championship game.  The district should be much more competitive next season and much improved from top to bottom.  Obviously Macon County will be the prohibitive favorite but how does everyone see it shaking out?

I think MC and UHS will battle out for 1st again. But I think MC will be the slight favorite. York should compete very well in the district next year as well. 

I think Carter for MC has a great shot at being a Miss Basketball finalist next year if she’s able to keep healthy throughout the season. 

Interested to see what these upcoming freshman can do for Upperman as well.

• Like 1

Hoping Meigs can schedule some games that way next season. Some times it's hard to schedule good competition in this area. Upperman is not a bad driver and Cumberland County is just as close as some of our district games. It would be some good game against some young and talented teams. and benefit all of them.

I also think it comes down to Macon and Upperman, with the edge going to Macon.  Macon could have depth issues and we will see how LAL (life after Levy) goes for Upperman.  York could also sneak in there as well.  And in response to another posters comment, it would be nice to see Carter from Macon nominated for Miss Basketball.  Way too early to tell for any of it though.

If York coaching was better than i would put them up that high at #3, but it's not. 2 real good players they have, no way they should have ever lost to LA in district tournament.  I love their freshman PG and Smith, but coaching suspect at best.  Just my opinion.  Dekalb could possibly challenge if their coaching was better also. Pretty good defense at times by Dekalb, but offense is terrible.  Must improve.  2 possible sleepers along with Cannon. 

As long as the Macon team stays as it is they will be the (IMHO) #1 team in 8AA and I think by a distance. 24 obviously the better player on the team but they have several that can score and play defense. When watching the final game the other night they mentioned #10 had been offered by UT Martina and said UT had shown interest. With speedy guards that can shoot and play defense they will be tough.  I think UHS will be good and it will depend on how they mature over the summer and in to the season. UHS has several that scored well this season off and on but never having to deal with the other teams number 1 or 2 defender the entire game. Having Levy and R Hurst occupied the top 2 and sometimes top 3 defenders on the opposing team. This next season without that player that will require that defensive attention will take some getting used to. York will be better as well so DeKalb but how much time will tell.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Summer camps are just a memory now but how did everybody do.  I saw almost everyone and the district will be more competitive this year.  Upperman was without the Shrum girl and it made a difference in what they could do on the court.  Coach will have them ready by the time season begins.  Macon looked good at times but got beat by a couple of teams that they should have beat soundly.  Cannon and DeKalb are both improved and will contend with both Upperman and Macon I think.  York will also have a chance to upset someone during the season.  Livingston looks down from last year but Riddle is a good coach and they will be better by November.  Didn't see Smith or Watertown play but when Smith gets West back from knee surgery, they will be much improved.