2018-2019 8AA

tnhoosier

18 minutes ago, LadyCavsFan said:

Ok I had heard this happened but I have never seen something like this before.   Wow!  That’s all I got....wow!  Someone please explain this... I thought this was pregame or during timeout!  Did it really happen for almost 2 min?

This was the final 1:30 of the game. Macon has basically dribbled out the clock the entire 4th quarter of the last two games against UHS. I'm not saying I blame them, but just saying this is what they are going to do if they take a decent lead into the 4th quarter against any competitive team. Down 17 with 1.5 minutes to play last night, coach McWilliams just told her players to stop chasing them and fouling, which resulted in what you see in the video. It is a prime example of why we desperately need a shot clock rule for TN high school basketball. Again, I'm not faulting Macon because I'm not sure I wouldn't do the same thing, but it's incredibly boring and kind of a bad look.

46 minutes ago, twopairsofgloves said:

Jets lost one of their better players the other night to a torn ACL. They were up 40 in the 4th when it happened. Leaving starters in during 4th quarter against our valley teams, just to paste them might have backfired. Never understood why their best player is firing up 3's in the 4th up by 40+. They have blasted our valley teams for 2 years now. 

Things may change next year. 

21 minutes ago, LesterJWayne said:

This was the final 1:30 of the game. Macon has basically dribbled out the clock the entire 4th quarter of the last two games against UHS. I'm not saying I blame them, but just saying this is what they are going to do if they take a decent lead into the 4th quarter against any competitive team. Down 17 with 1.5 minutes to play last night, coach McWilliams just told her players to stop chasing them and fouling, which resulted in what you see in the video. It is a prime example of why we desperately need a shot clock rule for TN high school basketball. Again, I'm not faulting Macon because I'm not sure I wouldn't do the same thing, but it's incredibly boring and kind of a bad look.

Dribbling the ball out and spreading the court with the lead is basketball.    You see the team with the lead dribbling the ball and running the clock out in every game, on every night, across America.  That isn't new.  But I have NEVER seen a party at half court with nearly 2 min left in the game.   UHS won't need any motivation next game.  Just press play...  I can tell by their faces the Upperman players don't like it one bit.  This next game may be spectacular.

1 hour ago, LadyCavsFan said:

Dribbling the ball out and spreading the court with the lead is basketball.    You see the team with the lead dribbling the ball and running the clock out in every game, on every night, across America.  That isn't new.  But I have NEVER seen a party at half court with nearly 2 min left in the game.   UHS won't need any motivation next game.  Just press play...  I can tell by their faces the Upperman players don't like it one bit.  This next game may be spectacular.

If a district championship is not motivation enough, what is?

1 hour ago, LadyCavsFan said:

I see the upperman players at fault for letting this happen. Macon is going to kill clock, if upperman does nothing then of course they will just sit their holding the ball. Bad example set if the coach told them to not chase and essentially give up for 2 min. 

7 minutes ago, twopairsofgloves said:

I see the upperman players at fault for letting this happen. Macon is going to kill clock, if upperman does nothing then of course they will just sit their holding the ball. Bad example set if the coach told them to not chase and essentially give up for 2 min. 

It’s always Upperman’s fault.  It was their fault when they held the ball at the end of games.  Now it’s their fault when the opposing team holds the ball.  

4 minutes ago, twopairsofgloves said:

Don't blame the Upperman players! The decision, right or wrong, was made by the coach. Players on both teams played their heart out. They had no chance of catching up. Never know, this might have prevented an injury to a tired player.

3 hours ago, LadyCavsFan said:

Ok I had heard this happened but I have never seen something like this before.   Wow!  That’s all I got....wow!  Someone please explain this... I thought this was pregame or during timeout!  Did it really happen for almost 2 min?

Never seen a team just quit like this. Go foul, put in backups, and let them play but do something......don't ever just quit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LadyCavsFan said:

It is basketball without a shot clock, which IMHO is not very good basketball and definitely isn't fun to watch. Hence the introduction of the shot clock in the first place. Also, there are states that use a shot clock for high school games (ie. CA for one). Again, just my personal opinion and I don't fault Macon for doing it. I also do not fault coach McWilliams for the decision she made down 17 with 1.5 minutes to go. 

6 hours ago, twopairsofgloves said:

Jets lost one of their better players the other night to a torn ACL. They were up 40 in the 4th when it happened. Leaving starters in during 4th quarter against our valley teams, just to paste them might have backfired. Never understood why their best player is firing up 3's in the 4th up by 40+. They have blasted our valley teams for 2 years now. 

Do you ever get tired of lying??  Or is it so habitual that you don’t even realize you’re doing it?  Nothing in your post is true.