2018-2019 8AA

tnhoosier

I just posted in the AA prediction thread about this but that was a tough last two possessions.  They looked lost during the last minute of the game.   Should have taken it to the basket and fouled.   They took two horrible shots on last two possessions.   Thats not the way they played to get there.    Hate to see them lose like that.  

23 hours ago, CharlieTweeder said:

This Macon team has improved at every position besides their post play.  With the type of offense they run and the type of defense they play, BIGS are no concern to them.  They will press a team the whole game and make it very difficult to score.  On offense, they will beat you down the court and get easy baskets.  You force them to shoot outside, no problem!  Before you know it, the game is 15 to 20 points out of reach.  I'm not sure how much you have seen Macon play this year, but I would take their defense against anyone's in the State!  Ask Meigs if you don't believe me.  ButWhatDoIKnow?

Bigs don't mean much until you run into a team that out rebounds you and gets 10-15 extra possessions. You're right in that their offense doesn't feature bigs, but if you don't think they matter then we just have a different philosophy on bball. I have watched them play, and I've seen a lot of mismatches and lack of rebounding that other teams just haven't taken advantage of. It's all about matchups in the postseason, and MC might just be that much better than teams they play, but if refs come into play and they can't pressure like they're used to, you bet being able to rebound in a half court game might be the difference. 

12 minutes ago, ButwhatdoIknow said:

Bigs don't mean much until you run into a team that out rebounds you and gets 10-15 extra possessions. You're right in that their offense doesn't feature bigs, but if you don't think they matter then we just have a different philosophy on bball. I have watched them play, and I've seen a lot of mismatches and lack of rebounding that other teams just haven't taken advantage of. It's all about matchups in the postseason, and MC might just be that much better than teams they play, but if refs come into play and they can't pressure like they're used to, you bet being able to rebound in a half court game might be the difference. 

Alot of good stuff here.   But if you have watched them play, you know that they will give it to Carter and just tell to score and she will.   Unless you have a person that can stop that then it doesn't matter how many bigs you have.   They have some really good role players but when they need a basket they just tell her to score and she will do it.   She plays on both ends of the court and she rebounds well also.   So far this season Shoulder's has been the difference maker.  She is relentless on defense and so fast that you can't trap her.  They will be a tough matchup for anyone.  

FYI,  Macon beat Stone Memorial earlier this year by 15.  Stone is a top 10 AAA team and they have two D1 post players.  One committed to Lipscomb and the other with offers from Belmont, Lipscomb, MTSU, TTU, etc.  I doubt they will see post players like that in the AA tourney.  

Edited by LadyCavsFan

3 hours ago, LadyCavsFan said:

Alot of good stuff here.   But if you have watched them play, you know that they will give it to Carter and just tell to score and she will.   Unless you have a person that can stop that then it doesn't matter how many bigs you have.   They have some really good role players but when they need a basket they just tell her to score and she will do it.   She plays on both ends of the court and she rebounds well also.   So far this season Shoulder's has been the difference maker.  She is relentless on defense and so fast that you can't trap her.  They will be a tough matchup for anyone.  

FYI,  Macon beat Stone Memorial earlier this year by 15.  Stone is a top 10 AAA team and they have two D1 post players.  One committed to Lipscomb and the other with offers from Belmont, Lipscomb, MTSU, TTU, etc.  I doubt they will see post players like that in the AA tourney.  

8-aa best 4 top teams in the state in one district....but that's how it always is 

15 hours ago, LadyCavsFan said:

I agree with all of that. But I think you would agree that if the unexpected comes in to play and foul trouble happens or the game is called tight, rebounding can be the difference in winning and losing. I do think that MC should win it all. I don't know of a team that is good enough to disrupt MC enough to cause them problems. But bball can be a funny game sometimes, and I just know that if I was coaching I would always have in the back of my mind a fear that the lack of size could bite me in the rear. Not that there's anything that can be done about it haha. You can't stretch Carter another 4 inches overnight, or make Shoulders at least 5 ft tall lol

11 hours ago, mofojoe said:

I'll take speed and quickness anytime over size in high school sports

I agree. I'm not saying that MC is any less of a team because they don't have size, but I do know that rebounding in a fast paced game like they like to play can be the difference if the 2 teams are fairly equal. It may not come to make a difference. MC may just be that much better than the rest. I've not seen any west tn teams play, but I've not seen a better AA team this year than MC. But if last year taught us anything, it's that refs can impact a game tremendously and if MC can't pressure like they want to then I'd really like to have some size to rebound with. That's why I think this years MC team isn't as complete as last years. Bullington made a difference to me, even if Carter and Gregory are better this year. Either way, I think it's theirs to lose.

On 2/26/2019 at 3:11 PM, ButwhatdoIknow said:

Wait now, slow your roll haha. This is a different team from last year, and I don't think they're better this year than last. Their lack of size will be hard to overcome when they play those west tn teams. They have a chance because of the talent of the starting 5. But with no bench, it is gonna be tough to get back to the champ game much less win it.

I stand corrected.  Cheatham County wanted it more.  The Turnovers and Offensive Rebounds killed Macon.  This probably has been the worse game I've seen Macon play in a very long time.  Cheatham has a good team.  Congrats to them.  

On 3/6/2019 at 6:40 PM, UpperCumberlandMan said:

8-aa best 4 top teams in the state in one district....but that's how it always is 

Umm sure about that one? I am not sure that this has ever been the case in the last several years. Sure Upperman has been at the top of AA for a few years but best top four teams coming from 8AA, not even close. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CharlieTweeder said:

I stand corrected.  Cheatham County wanted it more.  The Turnovers and Offensive Rebounds killed Macon.  This probably has been the worse game I've seen Macon play in a very long time.  Cheatham has a good team.  Congrats to them.  

No team is immune to having a bad day. It's the teams that can figure out how to do it when they're having a bad day that are the truly good ones. I didn't watch the game, but I can see the stats and O rebounds were huge. Free throws were huge. TO's were huge. All those tell me that MC was unprepared for in game adjustments, which lands squarely on the coach, and those 10-15 additional possessions that I mentioned were vital for CC, as well as those refs that I mentioned too. I been around bball a long time, and the old adage "you can't teach size" (especially when it's talented size) is accurate. CC is the real deal, because they beat (mashed) a team that was the real deal. Good luck to CC in the champ game!