2018-2019 8AA

tnhoosier

6 hours ago, LadyCavsFan said:

MC played really well on D.  They covered several set plays really well.  You could tell they knew certain plays were coming.  For example Upperman ran several double screen sets for Brooks to get a quick 3 and MC always had a guard above the screen.   MC defense made it really tough on Upperman to get back in the game at the end.   MC players were really well prepared for this game and they had a great game plan.

Carter and Gregory made some really tough baskets in second half.  And Shoulders wasn’t going to miss a FT this time.  I don’t think she hit the rim all night.   Torie made some  deeeeeeep  3’s but overall Upperman didn’t get many open looks.  It was closer than the final score but MC controlled the game from the start.  I think the student section did affect the game.  Overall it was a fun game to watch.  

Yes you should want your atmosphere in  game to be like that. Makes it so much better when fans are allowed to have fun, as long as there isn't physical contact or over the line intimidation. 

But I can't say I agree that MC played well on D. Just because the other team can't score doesn't mean it was due to good D. You're right that they pressured that shooter (the only one Upp has) but backdoors were there front first tip to end. MC has no backside discipline in their spacing or gap control, not to get too detailed. Unless it's the little Shoulders girl. She gets there and will scrap.

Dana is a good enough coach to recognize if a set play isn't working and adjust, so I think I'm gonna chalk it up to just a bad day in the office for them. While some of it was due to gameplan by MC and the energy they brought, both teams can play much better. We'll see who wins the coin flip, not that it matters, and play the games in Cookeville for seeding.

1 hour ago, ButwhatdoIknow said:

Yes you should want your atmosphere in  game to be like that. Makes it so much better when fans are allowed to have fun, as long as there isn't physical contact or over the line intimidation. 

But I can't say I agree that MC played well on D. Just because the other team can't score doesn't mean it was due to good D. You're right that they pressured that shooter (the only one Upp has) but backdoors were there front first tip to end. MC has no backside discipline in their spacing or gap control, not to get too detailed. Unless it's the little Shoulders girl. She gets there and will scrap.

Dana is a good enough coach to recognize if a set play isn't working and adjust, so I think I'm gonna chalk it up to just a bad day in the office for them. While some of it was due to gameplan by MC and the energy they brought, both teams can play much better. We'll see who wins the coin flip, not that it matters, and play the games in Cookeville for seeding.

Anytime you are playing pressure man and you are denying passes, the back door will be open.   Upperman moved the posts high to create that space.   But I think MC played really well on D.  They gave up a few back door layups but not enough to change the game.    How many points did Upperman score the second half?  I don’t remember but I think it was like 17.  I hope I get a chance to see round 3 at Cookeville and maybe round 4 at Crossville and maybe round 5.....

33 minutes ago, LadyCavsFan said:

And about Shoulders, she was a game changer on D.  And the way she killed the ball at the end was impressive.  They couldnt catch her to foul or trap her in final 3 minutes.  I felt bad for her when she missed the FT at the Finals last year but she definitely changed that game last night.  

She’s probably the best defensive player in the district. 

• Like 1

The real season starts now, Macon is happy they finally beat Upperman,  Upperman is probably satisfied they won a co - district championship. So at this point in season, who is the real winner? Macon who is supposed to win it all ,or Upperman who was supposed to be in a reload/ rebuild phase. Now is when it will get even better, tournament time. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, UCSportsFan said:

Winning  the district tournament championship and getting opposite Cumberland County is the task at hand. The sledding is much easier on that side of the road.  Both of these teams can beat CCHS but at the same time they can both get beat by them as well. 

I think Macon and Upperman would be favored vs Cumberland County. But you definitely want the easiest road. There’s some good games coming up in that district and region.