one public advantage

hoop04

I was thinking of advantages of the publics over the privates and one {it would seem huge one } is kids who are in ISS clsses. I know of many kids who play sports for publics who where not even comeing close to making good enough grades in reg. classes to qualify for sports. but then went into ISS and the next report card where making a's and b's. I dont have a problem at all in trying to help a child with a learning disabilty I would be mad if we as a state diden't,but if a kid is haveing that much trouble learning I realy have a hard time beliveing that he should be spending any time in sports. Be realistic that kid needs an education not a footballcation. If he brings his grades up and renters reg. classes than great let him play. Sports are a big part of highschool but a secondary part not a priority. And i have to think about the temptation of coaches to have players put into ISS maybe a kid dosent need ISS maybe he just need to focues on his classes and would be fine wihtout the added pressure of sports. would you be doing that kid a favor by puting him in special ed., or the team ?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ISS here at our school is In-School Suspension. Kids in ISS here are not allowed to participate in sports. I assume you are talking about cdc and resouce classes. How is that an advantage? You can't just move those kids in there for the heck of it and then move them out when you want to. These kids have to be evaluated and there has to be an M-Team meeting with the teachers and the parents and both have to agree that is the route to take. Most of these kids end up getting a special education dipoloma. Some advantage!

My point is what the heck is a kid who is haveing that much trouble getting at least C's doing playing sports at all. Maybe if he dident he wouldent be in special ed. Sports prob take up 3 to 4 hours a day of real commitment. I always have a hard time figuring out how some of these kids can memorize a playbook speak with athourity on the very complicated aspects of sports. could it be the level of commitment. I know what is comeing so I'll say it first I am talking averages . its how polices are made. I love sports, but highschool is not about sports is about education. I went to school with a guy I will not name him, when you talked to him you knew he was very smart but did not care about grades he cared about football Our coach tryed to get him to do better on grades but he just did not care. So before the guy was unable to play he was put into special ed { yes thank you for the correction} It does happen and I think happens alot.

You would be very naive to think that it doesn't. :D

Posted by imasoftballer:

What I'm saying is just a lazy, unmotivated kid usually does not end up in resource classes. They are tested and evaluated and are proven to have some emotional or mental disability. I, for one, whould hate to know the system was be abused just to let kids play football or any other sport.

swamp,

Your implication would presume that imasoftballer is naive to the point that principals, superintendents, and school boards are willing to chance federal and state prosecution to win athletic contests. I would suggest the burden of proof lies on you. We await your facts.

State and federal prosecution for what? I am not trying to prove anything, but you'll have a hard time convincing me that it doesn't happen.

Posted by Dingo:

swamp,

Your implication would presume that imasoftballer is naive to the point that principals, superintendents, and school boards are willing to chance federal and state prosecution to win athletic contests. I would suggest the burden of proof lies on you. We await your facts.

I want to add that I truly hope that I am wrong, I guess its just my perception. I do know of many Kids who are in special ed who play sports. Most are great kids and I truly hope that they need to be there.If they do than I want them to get all the help that we can give them.

but lets say that they have been evaluated and found to truly need spicial ed. I still think sports would be a distraction and should be curtailed. That said I had a teacher tell me and my wife that my doughter needed special ed. while we where sitting there another teacher walked into the room and over heard the conversation and said "are you saying ----- needs to be in spcial ed... your out of your mind" I will never forget it. I stood up said this conversation is over me and my wife are leaving. Keep in mind that my doughter was making low c's at the time. She was in private school the next year and made high c's and b's now low c's are not good enough in my house but this was our first conversation with this teacher, so I am hard pressed to belive its that hard to have a student put into special ed. some paper work is done parents talked to and it happens. Now I happen to be a perticulary hard headed parent so I qustioned it, how many do. If a child is not makeing good grades I agree that something needs to be done. It reminds me of when the school said that my son needed to be checked by a doctor because they thought he needed to be on ridlin. doctor said no you need to be paitent he will grow out of it ... he did. now back to the topic I would sure like to know how many students who play sports are in special ed. if it is more than just a very few it should be banned. It kind of smacks of college kids taking basket weaving so they can play sports, but they are adults high school kids are not and need guidence form the adults and that means { to me } fight to get that kid educated and in that situation sports are a distraction to that goal. When a kid gets bak on track then yes let him play I am not talking about a punishment I am talking about focuesing on what that kid needs. LOL now tear me up guys. but I do find it ironic how I have heard people say how privates recruit and in a round about way insinuate that private schools will do any thing to win. Through it all I have felt like man if I was a private coach I wouod realy be mad, these people act like private coaches have no scruples and public coaches are salt of the earth. no one has said that it just seems to be an underlying atitude.

I sat here and I read these posts...and I am furious...I am saddened...

To say that a child with a learning disability should not be allowed to play sports is just plain ignorant. I'm not going to call you stupid, because I truly hope that your post is based on ignorance of the way Special Education is supposed to be.

I cannot believe that an adult would be so mean spirited as to say that a Special Education student's activities should be curtailed due to their academic needs. I don't think people realize how hard some of those kids work to be able to maintain their place on the team. Because yes, even though they are in Special Education classes, they are still held to the same standards of academic eligibility. It gives them something to work towards.

I've watched Special Education students play for our school for 18 years. None of them have taken the place of a regular education student, mostly they have stood on the sidelines. But everyday, they go to practice, they try hard to be a part of something very special, a team. To deny them that, because they have a learning disability is inhumane.

Most learning disabled kids who play sports in high school have been diagnosed by the time they reach high school. We have very few referrals in high school. There shouldn't be that many. A learning disability doesn't happen overnight, unless there has been a severe head injury, or medical happening, in which case, those kids are not going to be playing sports anyway.

Any school that uses Special Education to beef up their teams is a loser. They should be reported immediately to the State Department of Education. Their psychoeducational reports should be evaluated by a licensed school psychologist independent of that school system. Severe sanctions should be placed against the school and anyone taking part in the fraudulant evaluation should be fired.

I feel sorry for your school system if this is what is happening. However, your use of terms leads me to believe that there may be some sour grapes associated to your post. Did a Special Education student play when your child did not?

Excellent post Queenbee. Special Education kids should be encouraged to play sports and be academically tested to the level that they are capable of. I have met many kids who struggle academically but are prepared to work their tails off to try and maintain a level which may be easy for others but is a huge challenge for them. Why oh why would we then go and penalize them?

On top of that it would be a violation of federal law to exclude special ed students from sports. Most special ed students are normal with the exception of some disability related to learning, usually in a specific area. Being in a special ed program does not mean that you do not have "smarts." These students will soon be part of our adult society and need to be able to be seen as normal.