National Team Lineup

KingGreene

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 6:34 PM, cbg said:

So what's your point?  This has happened before and I would suspect that it will happen again.  There must not be any D2 kids that wanted to participate or they were just not good enough to be selected.

Not true, not even close. The D2 kids were not asked. Or not the ones that I know. Maybe some of the middle TN D2 kids were (based on Durdon's post)

Edited by PurpleWrestler
Additional info

I think KG did a great job putting this team together on such short notice. I can tell you that is was certainly short notice, as I was contacted to make this trip as well and will be going. I think it’s a great opportunity for the kids that are going, and I know we are all excited about going. I am also looking forward to being around kids that I haven’t met yet. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 6:24 PM, PurpleWrestler said:

Not true, not even close. The D2 kids were not asked. Or not the ones that I know. Maybe some of the middle TN D2 kids were (based on Durdon's post)

Bottom line, the communication around and assembly method of this team was bad.  There is a statewide coaches email list that could have been used to get the word out to everyone to allow the opportunity for those most deserving the opportunity to participate.  There are some very good wrestlers on our team but also appears some that were placed on the team because of the selection process.  Nothing against KG but I feel like since it was his responsibility and opportunity to represent the state by coaching this team then the issue is his to own.  Hopefully we can learn from this and in the future our National Team coaches will do a better job putting together a more representative team to include the whole state and not just the eastern half.  

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:42 PM, PatCoach09 said:

I think KG did a great job putting this team together on such short notice. I can tell you that is was certainly short notice, as I was contacted to make this trip as well and will be going. I think it’s a great opportunity for the kids that are going, and I know we are all excited about going. I am also looking forward to being around kids that I haven’t met yet. 

PatCoach - When I saw you defending your fellow coach and his team selection method I originally thought you were just being nice, but NOW that the full lineup is available on Track, I see exactly why you were doing so.  You also have kids on the team that were obviously selected using the daddy ball method.  Good for your team's kids that were "selected" because you are coach and too bad for other wrestlers who might have been more deserving from a results standpoint but don't have a coach in the AAU preferred circle.  Another hard lesson taught by wrestling: life is not fair and not everyone gets the same opportunity, many times its all about who you know.  

I'm sure no one from TN AAU or the coaching staff will respond because I'm certain they cannot offer a valid explanation why this team was assembled in the manner it was.  And that's fine, I just hope everyone gets to see an example of how wrestling in Tennessee works.  It appears this is just the way it is done, the Jr/Sr team is somewhat better but there are kids who were left out to put coaches' kids on the team there as well.  But really, we shouldn't be surprised, this is after all, a Tennessee AAU based team and TN AAU has always operated as if the state stops at Nashville.

• Like 1

So what makes someone more “deserving” than someone else? Considering the coaches had a very short window to put a team together I would dare say this is a pretty solid lineup. For some reason I have the feeling some would be upset regardless of who was on the team or how it was put together. Absolutely zero reason to name any child by name. The powers that be picked the coaches who they felt could put a team together and quickly. Most would agree that this team is not what some of you personally wanted so you are now personally attacking the coaches who are giving their time and bad mouthing kids. This is high school wrestling for goodness sake! Offseason at that. Get a life, a job or find a different hobby vs constantly putting yourself on your high horse! Seriously, where are you putting in time and dedication to these kids vs giving your opinion? Obviously  no one cares what you have to say on the subject. If you had any relevance someone would have asked you to coach or what your thoughts were. Opinions  are like buttholes, some stink worse than others! Btw both teams are 3-0 this far!

1 hour ago, ObserverW said:

PatCoach - When I saw you defending your fellow coach and his team selection method I originally thought you were just being nice, but NOW that the full lineup is available on Track, I see exactly why you were doing so.  You also have kids on the team that were obviously selected using the daddy ball method.  Good for your team's kids that were "selected" because you are coach and too bad for other wrestlers who might have been more deserving from a results standpoint but don't have a coach in the AAU preferred circle.  Another hard lesson taught by wrestling: life is not fair and not everyone gets the same opportunity, many times its all about who you know.  

I'm sure no one from TN AAU or the coaching staff will respond because I'm certain they cannot offer a valid explanation why this team was assembled in the manner it was.  And that's fine, I just hope everyone gets to see an example of how wrestling in Tennessee works.  It appears this is just the way it is done, the Jr/Sr team is somewhat better but there are kids who were left out to put coaches' kids on the team there as well.  But really, we shouldn't be surprised, this is after all, a Tennessee AAU based team and TN AAU has always operated as if the state stops at Nashville.

Your entitled to your opinion however, the two kids I have on the team as alternates, were asked to be alternates before I was asked to step up and coach. They were asked, then I was asked about 4 to 5 days later. So i you want to say I got on through the “daddy ball” method that’s fine. But to give you an update we are 3-0 currently. 

5 hours ago, PatCoach09 said:

Your entitled to your opinion however, the two kids I have on the team as alternates, were asked to be alternates before I was asked to step up and coach. They were asked, then I was asked about 4 to 5 days later. So i you want to say I got on through the “daddy ball” method that’s fine. But to give you an update we are 3-0 currently. 

Cool story bro...timeline seems a bit off given there "was a very short window," but ok.

5 hours ago, Norseman said:

So what makes someone more “deserving” than someone else? Considering the coaches had a very short window to put a team together I would dare say this is a pretty solid lineup. For some reason I have the feeling some would be upset regardless of who was on the team or how it was put together. Absolutely zero reason to name any child by name. The powers that be picked the coaches who they felt could put a team together and quickly. Most would agree that this team is not what some of you personally wanted so you are now personally attacking the coaches who are giving their time and bad mouthing kids. This is high school wrestling for goodness sake! Offseason at that. Get a life, a job or find a different hobby vs constantly putting yourself on your high horse! Seriously, where are you putting in time and dedication to these kids vs giving your opinion? Obviously  no one cares what you have to say on the subject. If you had any relevance someone would have asked you to coach or what your thoughts were. Opinions  are like buttholes, some stink worse than others! Btw both teams are 3-0 this far!

What would I say makes one more deserving?  How about the fact that there are wrestlers on the team who lost to others who are not on the team.  Wrestlers who were more than willing to represent TN given the opportunity.  Not my kids but seems I have touched a nerve by speaking truth.  

As for the team's success, I'm very happy to see both teams successful but one can only wonder if we could have pulled off a win against Iowa if the best available wrestlers were on the team.  

• Like 1

Lost 32-31, medical forfeit. Struck a nerve? Not at all. Just sad that people think they know all,  but obviously haven’t a clue. You bash kids and coaches alike but are nowhere to be found when it comes to solutions. You want wrestle offs? Why is it everyone must travel to Nashville for a wrestle off? How is that “fair” to the kids who would have to travel 5 hours for one match, maybe two? Absolutely ludicrous! My question is where you personally around any of these coaches when the teams were made? I’m guessing not. Do you know what the word assume means? How about they just turn TSSAA and AAU over to you cause you obviously have all the solutions to fix it all? You are obviously never wrong so I won’t be wasting my time with you any longer. As previously stated, find a new hobby that doesn’t involve bashing coaches and kids! You are the type of person that drives people away. Obviously you are not happy with these teams success. If you were you would be singing a different tune by not continuing to troll people and actually say supportive things. If you are that butthurt about this topic or other things in the state, well that’s easy, MOVE somewhere else! Have a great day!

4 hours ago, Norseman said:

9/10 team finishes 7-1! Only loss was 32-31 due to a medical forfeit! Looks like someone on here has some crow to eat! Great job boys and coaches!

I think you are totally missing his point, because you are so busy defending yours. It's over now, move on. And congrats to the boys that represented TN so well, NO ONE is saying you didn't deserve to be on the team, or anything like that. We are all proud of you, and glad you were able to experience this.