National Team Lineup

KingGreene

18 hours ago, PurpleWrestler said:

I can promise you, not all medalists were called. Not even close. And his point is spot on, excuse of lack of time is not a valid excuse. We are talking about kids that felt the EARNED the chance to represent the state.

I have no horse in the race now, but i spent many a days wrestling and coaching here and in other states(never EVER getting paid for it, doing it because I love it), however next time you see a tourney like this come up, Volunteer your time and help coach, if not you have no reason to ###### like a little girl that kids were left off the team, because you sure didnt take up your time to get the best kids on it, while these guys are usually volunteering their time to do this and time is valuable! That is the biggest problem with wrestling in TN right now as CBG kind of hinted at although i also think he missed the mark! Fact is this, they had to do this last minute, so how do you go about having challenge matches, how can you get guarantee's from someone that is maybe completely across the state of TN in between things like spring break, Easter and everything else when lots of families traveled elsewhere! If the coaches had a month to put together the roster there would for sure be some whining that could take place, but this was last second and if you are a coach whining about the best kids not being called and you know that, guess what phones work both ways, find out who the coach is and see if they need your wrestler as they are available, if at that point they dont take the wrestler its on them! Daddy ball happens in every sport, its the reason i quit baseball, but i guarantee there is a heck of a lot less of it in wrestling compared to any other sport!

22 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

I have no horse in the race now, but i spent many a days wrestling and coaching here and in other states(never EVER getting paid for it, doing it because I love it), however next time you see a tourney like this come up, Volunteer your time and help coach, if not you have no reason to ###### like a little girl that kids were left off the team, because you sure didnt take up your time to get the best kids on it, while these guys are usually volunteering their time to do this and time is valuable! That is the biggest problem with wrestling in TN right now as CBG kind of hinted at although i also think he missed the mark! Fact is this, they had to do this last minute, so how do you go about having challenge matches, how can you get guarantee's from someone that is maybe completely across the state of TN in between things like spring break, Easter and everything else when lots of families traveled elsewhere! If the coaches had a month to put together the roster there would for sure be some whining that could take place, but this was last second and if you are a coach whining about the best kids not being called and you know that, guess what phones work both ways, find out who the coach is and see if they need your wrestler as they are available, if at that point they dont take the wrestler its on them! Daddy ball happens in every sport, its the reason i quit baseball, but i guarantee there is a heck of a lot less of it in wrestling compared to any other sport!

I didn't miss any mark on anything and at my age I have watched this happen numerous times.  The only reason that "DADDY BALL" happens in any sport including wrestling is because various coaches and parents allow it to happen.  This is not just a problem with athletics but it is a problem with today's society as we have so many helicopter parents and people that refuse to donate their time without knowing what is in it for them.  In closing I will say that if someone is ask to do a job, even a volunteer job (select and team and take them to a national tournament) and you don't feel as if there is not enough time to do the job properly or you are not qualified then decline to take the assignment.  If you take a job then do it the right way and don't make excuses for your actions after someone calls you on the carpet.  With all of that being said I will say that I would have never scheduled a tournament or event on Easter weekend as that is just asking for issues.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, cbg said:

I didn't miss any mark on anything and at my age I have watched this happen numerous times.  The only reason that "DADDY BALL" happens in any sport including wrestling is because various coaches and parents allow it to happen.  This is not just a problem with athletics but it is a problem with today's society as we have so many helicopter parents and people that refuse to donate their time without knowing what is in it for them.  In closing I will say that if someone is ask to do a job, even a volunteer job (select and team and take them to a national tournament) and you don't feel as if there is not enough time to do the job properly or you are not qualified then decline to take the assignment.  If you take a job then do it the right way and don't make excuses for your actions after someone calls you on the carpet.  With all of that being said I will say that I would have never scheduled a tournament or event on Easter weekend as that is just asking for issues.  

so i guess to you that means maybe not go? and again where is your time for this team? when did you volunteer for these teams or any team outside of high school season? again, walk the walk or shut the heck up, it is that easy! maybe next time they just dont take a team because people like you think the best kids are not getting to go!  THIS right here is what is wrong with sports in the country, screw daddy ball, the problem is people complaining and acting like a baby when they arent doing anything themselves! So when is he next tourney CBG or OW and what all kids are you picking for your team?

Edited by cobrakid8
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ObserverW said:

Norseflake, I hope you are not a defense lawyer because you would have several clients in jail.  You are basically confirming everything we are saying about how the team was chosen.  NO, we were not around when the teams were put together.  My point exactly.  No one is berating the coaches for not putting in their time and effort, we all appreciate the fact that coaches are volunteering.  But just as you say, none of us were asked to coach the team.  The issue lies with the fact that not having a coach on the team should not eliminate a wrestler from consideration for the team.  I don't think any of the wrestlers on the team felt that they didn't deserve to be there, those who felt slighted were the ones who had beaten others on the team or finished ahead of them at region/state and are sitting home because they didn't get a chance to wrestle-off for the spot.  If logistics wouldn't allow for a wrestle-off (which is an invalid excuse, wrestlers would have made the trip, if there is one thing wrestling parents don't mind its a road trip for wrestling) but lets just say it wasn't possible, at the very least, an email to all the coaches in the state could have been drafted to determine interest.  At that point go from top down.  Medalists get first right of refusal.  It is pretty simple.  Or, there are only 14 weight classes, beginning with the top placing freshmen/sophomores, it might have taken 25 phone calls/text messages to get the MOST deserving wrestlers on the team. And yes I said it!  There were wrestlers who were MORE deserving who were not given the opportunity.  

Its obvious that your son was chosen for the team and very peculiar that you are so quick to defend the selection method.  Lets assume your son is one of the medalists who was the top freshman/sophomore in his weight class, if he was left at home would you be on here defending the selection method?  

I hope that my non-inclusive statements do not force you to your safe place.

Unobservent moron! You make my point yet again! You are obviously ignorant at best because of your little jabs. Your assumptions make you sound like a complete idiot, as usual. As said before you don’t like it stop being the snowflake libtard you obviously are, pull up your big girl panties and start helping out by making a difference vs spouting off at the mouth. You are quick to say nasty things to people not knowing them from the next guy. You call me the snowflake but yet you were the first to get on here whining and crying. I promise you every kid on the team DID feel like they belonged there. Ergo them traveling to do so. Now to address your “deserving “ comments. Yes some kids may have had a a state medal, but just maybe someone had one good day when another guy may have been off just a bit on that particular day. It’s funny that this is even an issue. Maybe you are the one who has their feelings hurt cause your little Johnny didn’t get to go. By the way you probably wouldn’t last five minutes in places I have been, take your safe place and take a wild guess what you can do with it! I have tried to be cordial with you more than once but your ignorance reigns supreme. 

Maybe I did have a kid on the team maybe I didn’t. I would defend any coach who did what they thought best for a team, regardless of the team! My kid has been left off of teams like this before. Guess what? I told him if he didn’t like it to go and get better! It does absolutely zero good to piss and moan about crap like this. Period! For the record your non-inclusive statements are entertaining to me cause you obviously have lost some brain cells along the way.

Edited by Norseman

2 hours ago, cobrakid8 said:

so i guess to you that means maybe not go? and again where is your time for this team? when did you volunteer for these teams or any team outside of high school season? again, walk the walk or shut the heck up, it is that easy! maybe next time they just dont take a team because people like you think the best kids are not getting to go!  THIS right here is what is wrong with sports in the country, screw daddy ball, the problem is people complaining and acting like a baby when they arent doing anything themselves! So when is he next tourney CBG or OW and what all kids are you picking for your team?

Stop your chirping as I have volunteered my time over the past 45 years numerous times and still continue to donate my time.  I have taken kids all over the country and never received a dime not even for my room, meals or transportation.  The next time you decide to call me out you may want to do a background check as I have done most everything related to wrestling that you could ever imagine.

IF YOU DO WHAT YOU SHOULD DO AND ARE FAIR WITH PEOPLE YOU WILL STAND ONLY A SMALL CHANCE OF PEOPLE JUMPING YOUR BACKSIDE.  AGAIN ELIMINATE THE "DADDY BALL" AND YOU WILL GAIN MUCH MORE RESPECT.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, cbg said:

You nailed it CBG.  This is a problem in all sports including wrestling in Tennessee.  Those who fail to recognize it have their heads in the sand, either because they don't want to believe it (as it seems with Corbra) or because it conveniently suits their needs (as it seems with Norse).  Will calling them out on CoachT fix it, probably not but if enough people are aware then maybe we can move in the right direction to change. 

And don't give me the line about last minute, not enough time, etc. etc.  They had more than ample time to make phone calls and ask the most deserving wrestlers.  If they received a decline and had to take their own team by default, then so be it, but I know for a fact this is not the case.

As for volunteering to coach.  If you believe there is an open invitation by Tennessee AAU for anyone who wants to help, then you have had your head in the sand much longer than I thought.  If you haven't noticed, TN AAU is a very tight knit fraternity and just because someone, as you suggest, is willing to volunteer to coach does not mean they are open to allowing it.  

1 hour ago, Norseman said:

Now to address your “deserving “ comments. Yes some kids may have had a a state medal, but just maybe someone had one good day when another guy may have been off just a bit on that particular day. It’s funny that this is even an issue. Maybe you are the one who has their feelings hurt cause your little Johnny didn’t get to go. 

Maybe I did have a kid on the team maybe I didn’t. 

I don't know you or your son but it is obvious you have a wrestler on the team and I get the feeling you are taking offense because you are inferring that someone believes maybe your kid specifically wasn't deserving.  Lets be clear--I'm not bashing your kid.  I wasn't talking about one wrestler in particular and moreover, I didn't say anyone was undeserving.  I said there are wrestlers who had earned the right and were MORE deserving than some chosen.  But you strengthen your message even more with your foolish comment about someone having a good day.  HAHAHAHA!  So is this your message?  The wrestlers that earned a state medal must have gotten lucky at the state tournament and the non-medalist "may have just been off a bit on that particular day"?   I see now, the whole NorseFlake ideal that everyone deserves to participate regardless of their results.  You keep sticking your own foot in your mouth, maybe its time you power down the computer and let the adults have a conversation.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ObserverW said:

You nailed it CBG.  This is a problem in all sports including wrestling in Tennessee.  Those who fail to recognize it have their heads in the sand, either because they don't want to believe it (as it seems with Corbra) or because it conveniently suits their needs (as it seems with Norse).  Will calling them out on CoachT fix it, probably not but if enough people are aware then maybe we can move in the right direction to change. 

And don't give me the line about last minute, not enough time, etc. etc.  They had more than ample time to make phone calls and ask the most deserving wrestlers.  If they received a decline and had to take their own team by default, then so be it, but I know for a fact this is not the case.

As for volunteering to coach.  If you believe there is an open invitation by Tennessee AAU for anyone who wants to help, then you have had your head in the sand much longer than I thought.  If you haven't noticed, TN AAU is a very tight knit fraternity and just because someone, as you suggest, is willing to volunteer to coach does not mean they are open to allowing it.  

I don't know you or your son but it is obvious you have a wrestler on the team and I get the feeling you are taking offense because you are inferring that someone believes maybe your kid specifically wasn't deserving.  Lets be clear--I'm not bashing your kid.  I wasn't talking about one wrestler in particular and moreover, I didn't say anyone was undeserving.  I said there are wrestlers who had earned the right and were MORE deserving than some chosen.  But you strengthen your message even more with your foolish comment about someone having a good day.  HAHAHAHA!  So is this your message?  The wrestlers that earned a state medal must have gotten lucky at the state tournament and the non-medalist "may have just been off a bit on that particular day"?   I see now, the whole NorseFlake ideal that everyone deserves to participate regardless of their results.  You keep sticking your own foot in your mouth, maybe its time you power down the computer and let the adults have a conversation.  

LOL! You continue to amuse me. Keep smoking whatever it is your on. If it makes you feel better about yourself to bash me that’s fine. Your opinion to me and many others is meaningless. I’m thinking you have a bad case of little man syndrome! It’s ok little fella not everyone can see things from all sides and be open minded. 

Edited by Norseman

2 hours ago, cbg said:

Stop your chirping as I have volunteered my time over the past 45 years numerous times and still continue to donate my time.  I have taken kids all over the country and never received a dime not even for my room, meals or transportation.  The next time you decide to call me out you may want to do a background check as I have done most everything related to wrestling that you could ever imagine.

IF YOU DO WHAT YOU SHOULD DO AND ARE FAIR WITH PEOPLE YOU WILL STAND ONLY A SMALL CHANCE OF PEOPLE JUMPING YOUR BACKSIDE.  AGAIN ELIMINATE THE "DADDY BALL" AND YOU WILL GAIN MUCH MORE RESPECT.  

Then where were you this time? You said you knew kids that never received a call but pretty dang sure you never reached out to the coaches of this team eithe rdid you? I never took a dime to coach even high school teams I did it for the love of the sport and that includes all the practices, trips and what not with the teams. But I also never have whined on here about something like “daddy ball” which is a dang joke because unlike with kids baseball there are much fewer teams put together and much more individual wrestlers that show up and wrestle!  

Again maybe in your 45 years you have seen a lot, but what you are whining about mine as well be 12, because either you are to old to have a phone OR you were to lazy to contact the coaches that setup the team and you sure as heck don’t know what all they did or didn’t do to get a team together and the fact they didn’t have much time to do it. So how about next year we go ahead and volunteer you CBG to coach the team, and who cares if you had any other obligations or anything else because lord knows you have your finger on the pulse of all of TN wrestling so I know you can contact coaches and the kids and have them ready to go to represent team TN next year! And I also nominate OW as assistant because he knows everything about wrestling and that means we have no need for Coach Kramer or any others that stepped up last minute this year to get the job done!

On 3/19/2018 at 9:16 AM, KingGreene said:

I should have known there would only be negative comments in response to this. Unfortunately, that’s all CoachT is these days. I know people are always excited to see these lineups so they can see who will be representing our state so I wanted to post this and help the fans get excited and behind these boys. Instead, these kids are deemed not worthy to represent the state. I guess I should have just left everyone in the dark until results came out.

Kramer informed TNAAU two weeks ago he was going to bow out of this tournament this year. When he informed TNAAU they were struggling to get someone to take it over and considered not even taking a team. Barnett and Doty reached out to me about a week ago and asked me to take it over. I told them to avoid not taking a team I would take it over, but I would not be able to host a wrestle off because I had already promised Coach Foreman to host a handful of PF boys for a couple days of training for NHSCA in Johnson City. 

I immediately started going through brackets and reaching out to coaches across the state trying to get the best 9/10 kids I could. I got a lot of declined invitations because of Spring Break/Easter plans, being burnt out, too short notice, etc. The stud DII kids that I originally wanted were mostly already claimed by the 11/12 team or, as Durdon stated, had Easter plans with families. 

I’m sure this will continue to be mocked by OW because that is what he does. But for those who are honestly curious, I did not plan on going on this trip until 7 days ago. I tried to make the most competitive team I could in the limited time I had to put it together, regardless of team. I don’t think there is any perfect system. The wrestle off will always leave some of the best kids out because of how long our state is. It’s hard to justify a 4.5 hour drive for a wrestle off to some parents/kids. I think that this group will represent the state very well and am excited to meet some of the kids I do not yet know personally. I appreciate the opportunity to help our state be represented at this prestigious tournament.

In response to the fact checks: 

Tyler Seeley was a 2016/2017 state medalist.

Jared Harter lost in the blood round 3-2 in 16/17. He was injured this season  

I’m also excited to say that we have added Riley Bennett of Fairview (Runner-up) to the list at 132  

And here CBG and OW you have plenty of time to get your team together so no daddy ball issues can happen! I thank you king Greene for putting a team together and for representing the state of TN well! I know some kids that couldn’t make it because it was Easter weekend AND some had plans already to leave because it was spring break for lots of counties also, I am sure you were so happy to do this instead of not taking a team at all, but it seems that OW and CBG would rather not have a team at all go if the beat wasn’t able to make it, never mind some of those kids that got some valuable mat time that they needed!  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

And here CBG and OW you have plenty of time to get your team together so no daddy ball issues can happen! I thank you king Greene for putting a team together and for representing the state of TN well! I know some kids that couldn’t make it because it was Easter weekend AND some had plans already to leave because it was spring break for lots of counties also, I am sure you were so happy to do this instead of not taking a team at all, but it seems that OW and CBG would rather not have a team at all go if the beat wasn’t able to make it, never mind some of those kids that got some valuable mat time that they needed!  

Spot on!

25 minutes ago, Norseman said:

Spot on!

Kills me when someone like King Greene who I have never even met tries to do something good and instead gets crap the entire time while loudmouths with supposed credentials(who cares!) badmouths them, instead of doing it themselves, had he same problem with my sons soccer and instead of whine on message boards I went and got my soccer licenses and coach myself, no more daddy ball and I also make no decisions at all on what kids are on my team I coach and instead of whining about a problem I went out to solve it instead! And for this, my son isn’t even on my team this year, instead he is a level better and playing for another team!

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, cobrakid8 said:

Kills me when someone like King Greene who I have never even met tries to do something good and instead gets crap the entire time while loudmouths with supposed credentials(who cares!) badmouths them, instead of doing it themselves, had he same problem with my sons soccer and instead of whine on message boards I went and got my soccer licenses and coach myself, no more daddy ball and I also make no decisions at all on what kids are on my team I coach and instead of whining about a problem I went out to solve it instead! And for this, my son isn’t even on my team this year, instead he is a level better and playing for another team!

Again you make the point that started the whole conversation.  Kudos to you for coaching soccer, we need more soccer coaches.  And you prove my argument--"you made no decisions at all on what kids are on the team."  Unfortunately, this is not what happened with our National Teams!  King Green chose the team and ended up putting several of his own wrestlers on the team.  Daddy ball in it essence.  I'm certain many other coaches in the state would jump at the opportunity to coach the National team if they knew it meant a golden ticket for several of their wrestlers.