kwc

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Whitehaven's Devin Boddie Jr. commits to Vanderbilt

John Varlas, Memphis Commercial AppealPublished 3:35 p.m. CT June 27, 2018 | Updated 3:44 p.m. CT June 27, 2018

Whitehaven vs. Lausanne

(Photo: Brad Vest/The Commercial Appeal)

Let there be no doubt. Devin Boddie Jr.'s verbal commitment to play football at Vanderbilt next season was based as much on academics as it was athletics.

"In my household, education is the main thing. Then athletics," he said. "For me, it's basically a four-year decision. It's a great school academically, a great city with lots of job opportunities after college ... (and) it's an SEC team that has a great program and is close to home.

"It just felt like family there honestly and I feel like it was the best fit for me."

The 5-11, 175-pound athlete — who will play for the Tigers this year after transferring from Lausanne — chose the Commodores from a list of six finalists that also included Cincinnati, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Purdue and Virginia. He enters his senior season as the 23rd-ranked player in Tennessee, according to 24/7 Sports.

Boddie said the Commodores primarily recruited him as a slot receiver and he'll see action at that position as well as cornerback for Whitehaven.

During his career at Lausanne, Boddie helped the Lynx to consecutive undefeated seasons and state championships in 2016 and 2017. Lausanne defeated Whitehaven 14-7 when the teams met last fall and the player says he eager to experience the budding rivalry from the other side.

"Whitehaven always has had a great defense,"  he said. "But with me playing offense and going against these guys ... I really do feel like we have the best defense in Tennessee."

Reach John Varlas at [email protected] or on Twitter @johnvarlas.