Memphis Area Players being Recruited - 2019

kwc

Memphis Tigers football lands first 2 verbal commits in class of 2019   

Evan Barnes, USA TODAY NETWORK – TennesseePublished 11:24 a.m. CT
April 15, 2018 | Updated 9:07 p.m. CT April 15, 2018

Memphis landed its first two verbal commits from the class of 2019 when Keveon Mullins, a four-star recruit from Whitehaven, and Trevis Hopper, a three-star recruit from Central High, announced their decisions over the weekend.

Hopper, a defensive tackle who was previously committed to Arkansas, announced his decision on Saturday. On Sunday morning, Mullins, who plays wide receiver and safety, followed suit with his commitment. Both made the announcements on their Twitter accounts.

Both attended the Tigers' spring game Friday, where more than 10,000 fans watched Memphis in action in one of the largest crowds to see a Memphis spring game in recent memory according to a Memphis athletics department spokesman.

Both are also a great start for Memphis' 2019 recruiting class since the 2018 class only had one local scholarship player in Lausanne's Nyle Love. 

Mullins, who is 6-foot-2 and 200 pounds, is rated No. 18 in the state and the No. 31 athlete in the country according to 247Sports. He is the Tigers' first four-star commit since Obinna Eze two years ago. 

Mullins caught 52 passes for 1,011 yards last season for East before transferring to Whitehaven.

Hopper, who stands 6-foot-2 and 260 pounds, de-committed from Arkansas earlier last week and also had offers from Tennessee, Ole Miss, Georgia and Clemson, among others. Hopper was named Tennessee Mr. Football Class 5A Lineman of the Year as a sophomore.

I won’t to take time out my day to thank my friends and Family and the man up above everyone who has been there for me and has pushed me to be all I can be with that i won’t to say i will be committing to The University Of Memphis Home Sweet Home

Edited by kwc

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The next eight (8) players that I am going to highlight are Whitehaven Tigers. There are actually nine (9) Whitehaven players that have already been offered scholarships, but one has already committed to the University of Memphis, WR, Keveon Mullins. He was highlighted in an article written in the Commercial Appeal already, which I've already cut and pasted and put into this thread (above).  Two of the seven are juniors, class of 2020. The other six (6) are seniors, class of 2019. That being stated, the other Whitehaven players I will highlight are as follows: Class of 2020 (2) ... Martavious French and Bryson Eason. Class of 2019 (6) ... Coromontae Hamilton, Devin Bodie, Melvin McBride, Courtney Sharp, Jacobi Rice, and Tyler Hunter.

Edited by kwc

We will start with the two players in the class of 2020. First, let's look at Martavious. According to Woody Womack with Riv_als, , class of 2020 LB, Martavious French received an offer from the U of M. According to Martavious' Riv_als profile, at the time of this being posted, Martavious has eight (8) schools showing interest. Memphis, Arkansas, Iowa State, Mississippi State, Purdue, Vandy, Florida State, and Ole Miss.

Check Out Martavious' HUDL video of his sophomore season highlights.

Edited by kwc

Coromontae Hamilton is a 6'-3", 240 lb. TE/WR/DE who currently has six (6) schools showing interest, with all six (6) giving offers. One (1) of the six (6), Virginia Tech,  offered Coromontae last year as a junior. He is rated as the 21st best recruit in Tennessee, regardless of the position played, accroding to the Riv_als Top 35 list for 2018-2019 recruits.

Coromontae's Riv_als profile.

Coromontae's HUDL highlights.

Edited by kwc

Devin Boddie is a 5'-11", 170 lb. athlete (WR/CB/QB) who, according to his Riv_als profile, has eleven (11) schools showing interest with eight (8) schools offering scholarshps.  He is rated as the 19th best recruit in Tennessee, regardless of the position played, accroding to the Riv_als Top 35 list for 2018-2019 recruits.

Devin's HUDL profile.

Edited by kwc

Melvin McBride is a 6'-4", 315 lb. OL, who, according to his Riv_als profile, has seven (7) schools showing interest while five (5) schools have offered scholarships. He is rated as the 24th best recruit in Tennessee, regardless of the position played, accroding to the Riv_als Top 35 list for 2018-2019 recruits.

Melvin's HUDL profile.

Edited by kwc

Whitehaven has another player to get an offer. All of the hard work is paying off for my man, Vincent Guy Jr, a 6'-0", 173 lb. QB/DB. The weight room, the 7 on 7, the visits to the different campus'. 

UT Martin has offered VJ. I believe this is his 1st offer. Congrats VJ.

That's 10 Whitehaven guys to receive offers to date. Two (2) 2020 guys and eight (8) 2019 guys. I have to say that I don't remember having this many guys with offers at this stage of the up and coming football season. This list can, and probably will, grow some more. Stay tuned.

Edited by kwc

Maurice Hampton of MUS balances success in two sports

John Varlas, USA TODAY NETWORK – TennesseePublished 11:00 a.m. CT April 4, 2018

Maurice Hampton

For Teka Hampton, it was every parent's worst nightmare.

Hampton was alone at home with her son Maurice when she decided to lay him down in a quiet spot so she could have a few minutes of mom time. How far could a six-month-old go, right?

"I put him down on the floor on a blanket while I went in to take a shower," she recalled. "And when I came back out, he was gone. I called my husband ... 'somebody came in our house and stole our baby!' 

"But then I heard a noise ... he had gone upstairs. He started walking at nine months, running at 10 months."

How Hampton was able to get up those stairs is anyone's guess. But it showed his mom early on that she had a special kind of athlete on her hands. And now — 16 years later — Hampton is still striving.

'I love playing baseball just as much as I love playing football'

In an age where specialization, even at the high school level, is becoming more and more common, Hampton is a true multi-sport star. The junior cornerback — who doubles at wide receiver for the Owls — is second in Tennessee in the latest 24/7 Sports rankings.  Riv_als Ranking.

But he's equally valued in baseball, where his muscular frame and blazing speed make him a terrific centerfield prospect. Hampton has been verbally committed to LSU in both sports since his sophomore year and makes it clear that he has no intention of choosing one sport over the other just yet.

"So far, I've done a pretty good job balancing both," he said. "When it's football season I play football and when it's baseball season I play baseball. As far as people that try to persuade me to pick one or the other ... they obviously don't have my best interests (at heart).

"I love playing baseball just as much as I love playing football and I don't want to give any one of them up. Wherever I go (to college), I want to do both."

'He's sort of a freak of nature'

MUS is delighted to give him the chance to do both at the high school level. Despite rarely being tested by opposing quarterbacks, Hampton was an all-state defensive back in Division II this past season. And entering this week's two-game series with Briarcrest, he was batting .450 and slugging .675 while tying John Bolton for the team RBI lead with nine through the first 13 games.

The first meeting against the Saints Tuesday showed what Hampton was capable of. After going 0 for 3 with a walk through seven innings, he spanked a double with two out in the bottom of the eighth before racing home on Bolton's hit to give the Owls a come-from-behind 4-3 victory.

In essence, he did what the great ones do: rise to the occasion.

"He's sort of a freak of nature in regards to his physical ability," said Owls coach John Jarnigan, who has been coaching for nearly four decades.

"That's exactly what the football guys say but from a baseball standpoint, you don't really see guys with that physical ability. He's really a man among boys and he just turned 16. He's going to be a 17-year-old graduate.

"Year to year, he's becoming a better baseball player (and) if you ask our coach Bo Hart, who played with the Redbirds and Cardinals, he'll say the same thing. We expect more things out of him when really we shouldn't. He's just a young guy."

Age is no factor

Not that mixing with the older crowd has ever been a problem.

"When he was like four or five, my husband coached youth football and he'd go to practice with him," Teka Hampton said. "Running through the dummies ... his feet were better than the boys that were older than him.

"And his speed ... my husband would tell the boys 'you have to beat Mo-J before you can stop running.'"

Even someone as talented as Hampton has limits. He's had to give up basketball but still finds time this spring to run track. Last week for example, he won the 100 in a meet MUS was hosting before quickly heading over to Thorn Field for that day's baseball game.

A few minutes after limbering up, he was on base with a double.

"It's tough," Hampton said of his multi-sport status. "As far as school goes (and) MUS being tough academically and then managing football and baseball, having a social life, going to church on Sundays ... it's pretty tough to manage everything."

But like he did with those stairs, Hampton is managing just fine.

Reach John Varlas at [email protected] or on Twitter @johnvarlas

Edited by kwc