Greeneville @ DB

6 hours ago, formerblazer said:

The bus routes can’t be longer than an hour.  It’ll be a logistics nightmare and I am sure.  I think it’ll be overall positive.

yeah it’ll be great for sullivan county.  The part where the three schools who are more affluent ended up with a new high school and the oldest high school in the county ends up getting nothing.  Oh yeah also the poorest population in the county.

not bitter, no sir not me.  Also, Greeneville does have a solid academic program in all seriousness.  Can’t blame any parent for wanting to go there.  Two taxes wins the day.

It will be interesting with sports as well.I played sports in both the Greene county school system and city school system .I know there were great athletes in the county just the same as at Greeneville high.Over the years many kids have left the Central program to play at DB ,South and TH.Maybe all the best will go to the new school and with a solid coaching staff and weight program,this could be a monster sports school in Sullivan county.Something the other two local 6A schools might really not like in just a few short years.

16 minutes ago, BatmanDevil said:

It will be interesting with sports as well.I played sports in both the Greene county school system and city school system .I know there were great athletes in the county just the same as at Greeneville high.Over the years many kids have left the Central program to play at DB ,South and TH.Maybe all the best will go to the new school and with a solid coaching staff and weight program,this could be a monster sports school in Sullivan county.Something the other two local 6A schools might really not like in just a few short years.

I think having 4 6A teams makes SH and DB really happy travel wise.  I mean sure they want to win but heck.... good times.  I'm curious if the kids who would have tried to go to Greeneville (tuition) may say hey I wanna go to a new high school.  Can't beat success tho, great way to get athletes interested in coming to your school.

35 minutes ago, formerblazer said:

I think having 4 6A teams makes SH and DB really happy travel wise.  I mean sure they want to win but heck.... good times.  I'm curious if the kids who would have tried to go to Greeneville (tuition) may say hey I wanna go to a new high school.  Can't beat success tho, great way to get athletes interested in coming to your school.

Unless the County School System gets their test scores up you will still see the same parents make the decision to send their kids to Greeneville City School for education reasons.  Both my parents attended County school and it wasn't an option for myself to attend the County School I was zoned for because of the difference in Education

6 hours ago, Swipes said:

Unless the County School System gets their test scores up you will still see the same parents make the decision to send their kids to Greeneville City School for education reasons.  Both my parents attended County school and it wasn't an option for myself to attend the County School I was zoned for because of the difference in Education

BVD may know something different but I doubt our grandparents paid tuition back in the late fifties for dad .He would hitch a ride ,walk ,whatever from the Glendale community .Super athlete who was a track and basketball star for the Devils.I went to Sunnyside but moved back into town to go to Greeneville.Education wasn't something I really cared about and have had to work my backside off either with a job and business or lots of OT at Eastman to make the same money many of my well educated classmates have made.That's something I've since passed on as a lesson to my kids.

15 hours ago, BatmanDevil said:

BVD may know something different but I doubt our grandparents paid tuition back in the late fifties for dad .He would hitch a ride ,walk ,whatever from the Glendale community .Super athlete who was a track and basketball star for the Devils.I went to Sunnyside but moved back into town to go to Greeneville.Education wasn't something I really cared about and have had to work my backside off either with a job and business or lots of OT at Eastman to make the same money many of my well educated classmates have made.That's something I've since passed on as a lesson to my kids.

I think one thing you may see happen in some districts is tuition rates going up when it starts being a question of changing classification.  Now as of right now, I think Greeneville has zero problem staying in 4A (You aren't playing up are you?).  TN High, on the other hand, is in a place where if you got rid of their tuition students, they would be in 4A no problem.  Numbers numbers.  If Greene County does the school right, though, I could see it drawing in some students who would have gone to Greeneville.

1 hour ago, formerblazer said:

I think one thing you may see happen in some districts is tuition rates going up when it starts being a question of changing classification.  Now as of right now, I think Greeneville has zero problem staying in 4A (You aren't playing up are you?).  TN High, on the other hand, is in a place where if you got rid of their tuition students, they would be in 4A no problem.  Numbers numbers.  If Greene County does the school right, though, I could see it drawing in some students who would have gone to Greeneville.

I don't see Greeneville City School raising tuition though (Always been the difference in City and County Taxes).  Right now there is a waiting list to even get into the City School System and most parents make that decision way before they know if Johny or Susie will even be good at any sports at all.  There is a big uproar all over the county about even building the New School and were the money will even come from.  (They all know Taxes are the only way for it and don't want to pay for it,  You should hear some of these Public Board Meeting that get posted on Facebook Live)

21 minutes ago, Swipes said:

I don't see Greeneville City School raising tuition though (Always been the difference in City and County Taxes).  Right now there is a waiting list to even get into the City School System and most parents make that decision way before they know if Johny or Susie will even be good at any sports at all.  There is a big uproar all over the county about even building the New School and were the money will even come from.  (They all know Taxes are the only way for it and don't want to pay for it,  You should hear some of these Public Board Meeting that get posted on Facebook Live)

Thanks for the input.  I had assumed there would be that huge question.  There have been complaints about Sullivan County and their schools, but on paper after all is said and done, bills are paid and 5 million will be saved a year, so they are in a good spot for those new schools.  Burden will be on the entire county when it comes to finding money for that.  I'd hope if they do it they do it right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DevilMan03 said:

As for the new county school it’s still in questions not a lot of people are for it at all

I don't see why they aren't all for it.  Greene County Schools like like they are buildings from the 1040's.  Time for something new.  I'd want new buildings too.  Drive by Greeneville High School and see everything nice new and state of the art, then you get to see the county schools which look like places where people hide from the walking dead.

23 minutes ago, formerblazer said:

I don't see why they aren't all for it.  Greene County Schools like like they are buildings from the 1040's.  Time for something new.  I'd want new buildings too.  Drive by Greeneville High School and see everything nice new and state of the art, then you get to see the county schools which look like places where people hide from the walking dead.

Not to Far off South Greene, North Greene, and West Greene were all built in the 60's.  Chuckey-Doak is the only one that has a New High School.  Alot of close Knit communities that want to stay Close Knit, don't want kids to get lost in the cracks, Bus routes taking 2.5 hrs just to get you to a central school, what to do with the middle schools that get shut down when they turn the high schools into middle schools, teachers getting laid off, taxes going up, etc.  Greene County is over 200 sq. miles larger than Sullivan county and combing ALL the county school is going to be tougher than combining 3 Sullivan County Schools.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Not to Far off South Greene, North Greene, and West Greene were all built in the 60's.  Chuckey-Doak is the only one that has a New High School.  Alot of close Knit communities that want to stay Close Knit, don't want kids to get lost in the cracks, Bus routes taking 2.5 hrs just to get you to a central school, what to do with the middle schools that get shut down when they turn the high schools into middle schools, teachers getting laid off, taxes going up, etc.  Greene County is over 200 sq. miles larger than Sullivan county and combing ALL the county school is going to be tougher than combining 3 Sullivan County Schools.

Amen! 

12 hours ago, Swipes said:

So if it turned around and you got two new high schools to consolidate in, then things would end up being better is what it sounds like.  People may not like some things but if you want your government to be fiscally responsible, you have to look at things like consolidating.  I know for Sullivan County, more people are dying than being born.  Close knit communities are great, I won't argue against that, but you also have to look at the amount of kids that aren't coming into the schools or the county anymore.  Why have buildings built for 800 kids when you only have 400 walking the halls.  Multiply that all over the county and you see a lot of waste.  I'm not for classes of 35 kids and 1 teacher, but I guarantee you it is already like that in some schools already.  Sullivan County is trying to get rid of teachers through retirement (which they've already done) the past few years, and then yeah, there are going to be some who find themselves without a job.  But it's a hard thing to argue that you could have used 70-80k (salary and benefits) on 1 teacher vs. spreading that out amongst the students.

It's a tough debate to have, but if I lived out in the county I would be fired up.  They need to be looking at working toward having facilities and funds that make them able to compete.  It shouldn't be "well their Greeneville so you know....".  I think all our counties have to find ways to start competing more with the city systems.  It's a tough spot for you all right now.