West TN Head Coach Jobs (Tons available)

WhereYouAt

On 4/26/2018 at 10:07 AM, OrangeGuru said:

Totally agree. District just too big. Travel is a horrendous. Plus it is very hard to compete year end and year out with Memphis.  Schools in district just do not have the numbers to thrown into the AAAs in Shelby County for a trip to State. Quinton is gone from DC, Liberty lost its 5 seniors, Brighton will be down, Munford and Hardin County were not that strong last year and should be on same or slightly above that level next.  District should be a battle. There has to be another Class added to basketball across the state to allow these kids to be honestly compete each year instead of just being a gate receipt at a region venue for a bigger school most time twice the size of the schools in 13AAA.

OrangeGuru: That is an interesting comment about the additional classifications. What would you do? 1 more class or 2 or 3 more classes?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/27/2018 at 10:37 AM, WhereYouAt said:

OrangeGuru: That is an interesting comment about the additional classifications. What would you do? 1 more class or 2 or 3 more classes?

On 4/27/2018 at 0:41 PM, QSouth89 said:

No more classes, football has way too many and in a state this size, 3 is enough.

How many classes would depend on how evenly you wish to break the numbers down without having wide gaps in size of schools. The exact number does not matter to me but the gaps now are just too wide.  I have heard it argued that more than the 3 classes dilutes the quality of play but we already have 5 classes of you count the scholarship and nonschlarship private school divisions and I think corralling the largest schools into a separate division has increased the quality of play in football. 

22 hours ago, OrangeGuru said:

How many classes would depend on how evenly you wish to break the numbers down without having wide gaps in size of schools. The exact number does not matter to me but the gaps now are just too wide.  I have heard it argued that more than the 3 classes dilutes the quality of play but we already have 5 classes of you count the scholarship and nonschlarship private school divisions and I think corralling the largest schools into a separate division has increased the quality of play in football. 

There are districts in basketball now with 4 or 5 teams.  When D2 was created in the 90's it shortened the districts.  My first year coaching was in 1A and our district was Clinch, Cloudland, Cosby, Hancock County, North Greene, Unaka, University School, and Washburn.  When D2 was formed there were a lot of changes to the district and we lost Cosby, Hancock, and Washburn. Back in those days Clinch did not play girls basketball so scheduling became an issue. Realign the 3 classes and make the numbers logical not using cutoffs to benefit a few.  

Taking all the teams, dividing by 3 and listing them in order by attendance doesn't make any sense at all.

It put schools with 1100 students in with schools that have 2500.  That is too big a gap.

Take out the top 24 to 32 schools and put them in their own class.  They would probably be too spread out to have districts so have regions.   Allow all the teams in the tournament with final 8 having their state at a neutral site other than MTSU.  

I disagree that the state isn't big enough to have more classes. TN is the16th most populated state and tons of states below TN have more than 3 classes. Just look at the model MS uses. Instead of using North/South, use West/East. It would improve just about every sports post-season tournament. Except, it probably wouldn't make the TSSAA as much money.

Edited by LetMeHearYA

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:15 AM, QSouth89 said:

There are districts in basketball now with 4 or 5 teams.  When D2 was created in the 90's it shortened the districts.  My first year coaching was in 1A and our district was Clinch, Cloudland, Cosby, Hancock County, North Greene, Unaka, University School, and Washburn.  When D2 was formed there were a lot of changes to the district and we lost Cosby, Hancock, and Washburn. Back in those days Clinch did not play girls basketball so scheduling became an issue. Realign the 3 classes and make the numbers logical not using cutoffs to benefit a few.  

Currently 13 AAA is a 5 team district up from 4 teams a year ago.  Liberty was just recently added to 13AAA. I am not sure what other school sizes are in the district but I know Dyer County is 1250 + or - depending on the year and has been increasing student numbers over past 10 years. Here in order of short to long is the mileage for Dyer County to travel to play district games. Liberty 53.6 miles, Brighton 55 miles, Munford 59.1 miles and Hardin County 113 miles.  Realignment like you referred to would help all the schools with travel. This is just travel. Dyer County will never get a chance to host a Regional Tourney because it has been told be TSSAA to far from Memphis. 

Edited by OrangeGuru

11 minutes ago, OrangeGuru said:

Currently 13 AAA is a 5 team district up from 4 teams a year ago.  Liberty was just recently added to 13AAA. I am not sure what other school sizes are in the district but I know Dyer County is 1250 + or - depending on the year and has been increasing student numbers over past 10 years. Here in order of short to long is the mileage for Dyer County to travel to play district games. Liberty 53.6 miles, Brighton 55 miles, Munford 59.1 miles and Hardin County 113 miles.  Realignment like you referred to would help all the schools with travel. This is just travel. Dyer County will never get a chance to host a Regional Tourney because it has been told be TSSAA to far from Memphis. 

I don't know much about Memphis school enrollments and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure I read some where that a few of the Memphis schools play up.  Memphis East enrollment wise is single A.  The talent in Memphis must be off the charts. 113 miles for a district game is absurd.

1 hour ago, QSouth89 said:

I don't know much about Memphis school enrollments and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure I read some where that a few of the Memphis schools play up.  Memphis East enrollment wise is single A.  The talent in Memphis must be off the charts. 113 miles for a district game is absurd.

Yes 113 miles for a district is absolutely just wrong but TSSAA has had it that way for a while now.

The talent level in all of Memphis is high with a great deal of it heading to East during the Penney years. Like you, I do not know about enrollment numbers in Shelby County, not even sure they know their own numbers year in and year out, but East has been the best publicly funded, private boys basketball training facility in the State of Tennessee for the past few years and has made a splash nationally.

Edited by OrangeGuru

On 5/2/2018 at 11:35 AM, OrangeGuru said:

Yes 113 miles for a district is absolutely just wrong but TSSAA has had it that way for a while now.

The talent level in all of Memphis is high with a great deal of it heading to East during the Penney years. Like you, I do not know about enrollment numbers in Shelby County, not even sure they know their own numbers year in and year out, but East has been the best publicly funded, private boys basketball training facility in the State of Tennessee for the past few years and has made a splash nationally.

There are not many schools that play up after the most recent reclassification. The only one I know of is East. From my understanding, there are less than 600 (more like 500) at East. 

Arlington 2400, Cordova 2400, Collierville 2100+ (built a new school to hold 3000), Houston 2000, Bartlett 2000+, Germantown, 2000+, Central 1600, Southwind 1500+, Ridgeway 1200+, Cordova 2400, Overton 1200+.

These are the biggest schools in Memphis/Shelby County that have been relevant in the past 5 or so years. 

I think there could be a separate classification for the 1800+ group.

So

51 minutes ago, warmachine7954 said:

There are not many schools that play up after the most recent reclassification. The only one I know of is East. From my understanding, there are less than 600 (more like 500) at East. 

Arlington 2400, Cordova 2400, Collierville 2100+ (built a new school to hold 3000), Houston 2000, Bartlett 2000+, Germantown, 2000+, Central 1600, Southwind 1500+, Ridgeway 1200+, Cordova 2400, Overton 1200+.

These are the biggest schools in Memphis/Shelby County that have been relevant in the past 5 or so years. 

I think there could be a separate classification for the 1800+ group.

Sounds like a place to start looking and go from there.

These numbers may not be spot on but they are close. Classifications of Bordering States. Do we need more classifications for Basketball???

Arkansas has a population of 2.9 Million and has 7 Classes - 468 High Schools

Mississippi has a population of less than 3 Million and has 6 classes - 568 High Schools

Alabama has a population of less than 4.8 Million and has 7 classes - 1,106 High Schools

Georgia has a population of less than 10.5 Million and has 7 classes - 2,200 High Schools

North Carolina has a population of less than 10.7 Million and has 4 classes - 2 557 High Schools

Virginia has a population of less than 8.5 Million and has 6 classes - 966 High Schools

Missouri has a population of less than 6.1 Million and has 5 classes - 2,406 High Schools

Kentucky has a population of less than 4.5 Million and has ONE CLASS (WOW) - 691 High Schools

Tennessee has a population of 6.3 Million and has 3 CLASSES - 734 High Schools  480 public and 254 Private

Edited by WhereYouAt