FARGO Qualifications

Rasslinking

PLEASE NOTE! Wrestlers wishing to participate in this event MUST follow state procedures. Contact your USA Wrestling State Director for information on qualification procedures for your state.

Click on the link below, and then click on your state to find State Director's contact information.

Click here

ATHLETES

All athletes who meet age group requirements, any existing state qualifying procedures and are current members of USA Wrestling are eligible to participate (see Qualification information below). USA Wrestling Age-Level National 

https://usawevents.sportngin.com/page/show/1678013-eligibility

The State Director for Tennessee is Ben Bowers, Please call 574-215-8586. Thank you.

SInce the answer to every question is to call, I'll attempt to answer.  It appears that in order to force kids to wrestle in TWF events, Bowser has come up with some new bylaws that require attendance in TN events to go wrestle by using the "All athletes who meet ...., any existing state qualifying procedures".  Rumor has it that kids will have to wrestle in the TWF state to be eligible for Fargo.  

I'm curious, however, to know what will be done if kids refuse to go.  Will TWF sell TN's spots to other states and not allow TN kids to go?  Will those kids be allowed a release to compete with another state?  Is TWF going to punish kids because adults refuse to deal with another adult that they find deplorable and dishonest?  

So many questions, so little time 

23 hours ago, Rasslinking said:

Could someone please explain how a wrestler can qualify for Fargo

I just copied this from a previous post on here about the FS & GR schedule. Hopefully this will help outa little. Still not the clearest communication.

Qualifications for FARGO or Kids Nationals:

All Qualifications have been voted on by the Executive Board, any issues with the following qualifications may be brought to the Board for consideration and Vote. Fargo and Kids Nationals is a State Organized Tournament, so all wrestlers wanting to attend must fall into one of the exceptions below:

1. Attend TWF State and Southeat Regionals Tournament.
2. Place Top 4 at Regional Tournament and recieve an exemption. 
3. Place Top 8 at UWW Tournament and receive an exemption.
5. Attend TWF State, be Chosen for Schoolboy, Cadet, or Junior Team and receive an exemption.

Anyone who needs an exemption to the above rules must submit a request to Ben Bowers [email protected].
Waiver request must be received 5 days before the event that the waiver is for. 
All Waivers will be Voted on by the Executive Board.
The TWF's mission is to grow the sport of wrestling and support wrestlers who compete for Tennessee. 
Any questions please call Ben at 574-215-8586

57 minutes ago, ccman1 said:

I just copied this from a previous post on here about the FS & GR schedule. Hopefully this will help outa little. Still not the clearest communication.

Qualifications for FARGO or Kids Nationals:

All Qualifications have been voted on by the Executive Board, any issues with the following qualifications may be brought to the Board for consideration and Vote. Fargo and Kids Nationals is a State Organized Tournament, so all wrestlers wanting to attend must fall into one of the exceptions below:

1. Attend TWF State and Southeat Regionals Tournament.
2. Place Top 4 at Regional Tournament and recieve an exemption. 
3. Place Top 8 at UWW Tournament and receive an exemption.
5. Attend TWF State, be Chosen for Schoolboy, Cadet, or Junior Team and receive an exemption.

Anyone who needs an exemption to the above rules must submit a request to Ben Bowers [email protected].
Waiver request must be received 5 days before the event that the waiver is for. 
All Waivers will be Voted on by the Executive Board.
The TWF's mission is to grow the sport of wrestling and support wrestlers who compete for Tennessee. 
Any questions please call Ben at 574-215-8586

Who are the members of the Executive Board?

In the past a wrestler must place in the Top 3 of the State tournament or the Top 3 of any regional tournament.  After that someone could go to the USA Junior/Cadet Nationals if there was a weight classification that had an open spot.  I never remember anyone from Tennessee not being able to attend if they were willing to pay.

Edited by cbg

Thank to all for an answer. Yes the answer seems always to be CALL. I am a parent,  and feel most parents, would find it easier to find an answer on this forum.  I keep seeing, "recieve an exemption".

Are ALL exemptions voted by the board? 

Lastly, what are qualifications for SE Regionals? I have heard different stories.  Would love to hear from our TWF President as to if this is mandated by the TWF? My understanding is that it is am OPEN tournament to anyone.  

1 hour ago, Rasslinking said:

Thank to all for an answer. Yes the answer seems always to be CALL. I am a parent,  and feel most parents, would find it easier to find an answer on this forum.  I keep seeing, "recieve an exemption".

Are ALL exemptions voted by the board? 

Lastly, what are qualifications for SE Regionals? I have heard different stories.  Would love to hear from our TWF President as to if this is mandated by the TWF? My understanding is that it is am OPEN tournament to anyone.  

There are no “real” qualifications for SE’s....just sign up online, like most every other tourney.

As for exemptions....Ben and crew are terrific with them.

Yes, everyone prefers that you participate in the state tourneys...yes, it’s great if you can....but, each state has a certain number of spots, at various weight classes. That said, I have never heard  of Ben denying any kid wanting to go...mainly because we never have enough kids going.

Finally, and this is just my opinion.....I will never get why HS parents spend a lot of money to go to Fargo, when their son has no business out there. Chase did not compete in the Fr/Gr State tourney’s, but we competed at SE Regionals and NC qualifier...Chase finished 5th in Fr and Gr at SE’s, and 5th and 7ish in NC.

Ben gave Chase an exemption with no problems....we opted not to spend the money for Fargo, though....cane up with a calf injury.  If you can’t win or runner-up TN, and can’t place top 4 at SE or any of the numerous qualifiers around the SE....you are wasting money...stay home and keep training.

I never could get all that  money spent, just to watch your kid go 2 and out.

That said, my advice is to not get so bent out of shape about this....go wrestle where YOU, and your coach,  think YOUR kid should wrestle/train to prepare for Fargo....then, when the time comes, shoot and email to Ben....if there are spots open, you will get the exemption...pretty simple and very easy.

Edited by Twofdr
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

All states get 45 automatic qualifiers for Fargo. But, any wrestler that places top 4 at one of the regionals will not count against the 45 automatic qualifiers for their state.  States can also only send 4 kid in any given weight class per division.  

Having said that for the last few years, TN is only averaging about a dozen or so kids that go to Fargo each year so we are no where near our limit.  So I get why so many people are frustrated that we have requirements that wrestlers must meet before the TWF will allow them to go to fargo.  Almost all of the states, have some sort of requirements in place for Fargo and vast majority do require that you attend their state freestyle/Greco tournament and a lot require that you even have to place.   I get why states including TN have these requirements in place as they can use it as a carrot to drive attendance to their own event and their regional, which is good as it builds the sport. 

And, realistically the TWF requirement is actually really simple.  Just attend the TFW State and go to the SE Regionals. You don’t have to even place in either event, as long as you attend both of those events then you will permitted by TWF to go to Fargo.  

Now I do have a major issue with TWF requiring kids that place top 4 at one of the regionals or UWW top 8 to still have to request for an excemption in writing from Bowers. That is completely Assine and counterproductive to building wrestling in this state.  Any kid that is good enough to place at top 4 at one of the regional or actually place at UWW, the TWF should be begging them to go to Fargo to represent TN.  This is the whole reason why USA Wrestling let’s those kids go to Fargo without counting against  the state number.  They want to encourage the best of the best to go to Fargo and so should TN.   Again, it is assine that any kid that places at one of those tourneys has to apply to go to Fargo especially when our numbers to Fargo are so pathetically low.  I get that if a kid has to skip the TWF state tourney cause of injury or family issue like a sisters wedding and who then doesn’t place top 4 at SE why the TWF woukd have request an exemption to goto Fargo.  That makes sense to me, but requiring our very best to do so also makes zero sense to me. 

One other thing I will clarify too,  all of the regionals are open tournaments.  The TWF can not prevent any wrestler from attending any of the regionals including SE..  

this is straight from the USA WRESTLING website.  

CADET & JUNIOR REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS: BOTH DIVISIONS are open to ALL wrestlers that meet the necessary age requirements from any state.

KIDS REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS (Intermediate, Novice & Schoolboy/girl)

PARTICIPATION IS OPEN TO WRESTLERS FROM ANY STATE. 

So you don’t have to attend the TWF STATE TOURNAMENT TO wrestle at SE regionals. 

• Like 1

Eligibility/Membership

The 2017-2018 Membership Year begins September 1st, 2017 and goes through August 31, 2018. 

ATHLETES

All athletes who meet age group requirements, any existing state qualifying procedures and are current members of USA Wrestling are eligible to participate.

Athletes MUST present proof of current USA Wrestling Membership Card (actual card or photo copy) at registration AND weigh-ins. If you do not have a copy of your USA Wrestling Membership Card, please contact your State Membership Director prior to the event. It is mandatory that you provide your USA Wrestling Membership Card Number when participating at all USA Wrestling events in order for your results to be correctly linked to your profile for the U.S. Future Olympian Rankings and the Kids National Team website. USA Wrestling Athlete Membership Cards can be acquired from the State Chairperson or State Membership Director of the contestant`s state of residence or online (click HERE). Secondary sports accident insurance is provided as a benefit of membership.

https://usawevents.sportngin.com/page/show/1670215-eligibility-membership

All Wrestler wanting to Attend Southeast Regions must attend TWF State.

All Wrestlers wanting to Attend Fargo must attend TWF State and Southeast Regionals.

If you need an exemption from these RULES, please email Ben Bowers 5 days before the Event at [email protected]

Any Questions Please call Ben Bowers @ 574-215-8586 

Ben,  No one is questioning that you have the authority to put restrictions into who can go to Fargo, I’m just questioning why the world you would put in the restriction that UWW and Regional AA’s have to apply for an excemption.   THEY SHOULD BE AUTOMATIC QUALIFIERS LIKE THEY ARE IN ALMOST ALL OF THE STATES.  USA doesnt count them against your numbers so they have earned their right to go to Fargo.  And these are the kids that TN desperately needs to go to represent us Fargo so we should be encouraging them to go.

This was a power play by you and it is wrong  and bad for the growth of the sport and TN wrestling.  And, I say this as someone who son has attended both SE and TWF state the past 8 years and who is planning on attending both again this year so this doesn’t apply to me.  I’m speaking out because this excemption requirement on our best kids is wrong and bad for TN wrestling.  If you take our top 20 kids, their schedules are jam packed and if they need to skip SE or TWF STATE so be it.  You should be working the phones communicating with those kids and parents encouraging and finding a way to get all 20 of them to Fargo.  That is what TN wrestling needs, not these darn hoops that you have put in place these kids have to jump through.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, durdon said:

Ben,  No one is questioning that you have the authority to put restrictions into who can go to Fargo, I’m just questioning why the world you would put in the restriction that UWW and Regional AA’s have to apply for an excemption.   THEY SHOULD BE AUTOMATIC QUALIFIERS LIKE THEY ARE IN ALMOST ALL OF THE STATES.  USA doesnt count them against your numbers so they have earned their right to go to Fargo.  And these are the kids that TN desperately needs to go to represent us Fargo so we should be encouraging them to go.

This was a power play by you and it is wrong  and bad for the growth of the sport and TN wrestling.  And, I say this as someone who son has attended both SE and TWF state the past 8 years and who is planning on attending both again this year so this doesn’t apply to me.  I’m speaking out because this excemption requirement on our best kids is wrong and bad for TN wrestling.  If you take our top 20 kids, their schedules are jam packed and if they need to skip SE or TWF STATE so be it.  You should be working the phones communicating with those kids and parents encouraging and finding a way to get all 20 of them to Fargo.  That is what TN wrestling needs, not these darn hoops that you have put in place these kids have to jump through.  

I agree with you on this one, as someone who attended SE regionals back in the day there were no rules that said I had to go to State to go to the Regional events. Why would this rule even be in place? Doesn't surprise me though BB finagling the rules as he sees fit...