Turf war begins in Rutherford County

fredjones

So there is no "Real Turf" war going on in RuCo. What actally happened is the school admin, coaches and school board agreed upon is the school and parents, can go out and try to raise the 600k needed to install turf. They are not seeking county tax dollars or funds from the state. Essentially is a permission slip to try and raise the monies . I am hopeful that it happens and would love to see the school have turf and I believe it would be a great start to building the program .

11 hours ago, Lost Old Dad said:

Good luck Blackman.  I really hope y'all get it.  Maybe if y'all get it the rest of the schools can swing theirs.

Thanks LOD I would love to see all the RuCo schools have turf, I just don't think we will. My guess is if any are funded by the county it will likely be Rockvale that gets it first.

2 hours ago, FBfan26 said:

I wish Metro Nashville would follow smh...

It is a shame that on either side of the state many school small and large have turf filed and nice facilities and here in the Mid-State, we can't get the funding for it. Unless you are a private school its about impossible. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/26/2018 at 4:28 PM, Blaze45 said:

It is a shame that on either side of the state many school small and large have turf filed and nice facilities and here in the Mid-State, we can't get the funding for it. Unless you are a private school its about impossible. 

Metro wont even say it's about the money "which we know it is with 13hs" They keep talking about player safety. From what I heard hillsboro was going to  Pay for theirs but it was blocked.

3 hours ago, FBfan26 said:

Metro wont even say it's about the money "which we know it is with 13hs" They keep talking about player safety. From what I heard hillsboro was going to  Pay for theirs but it was blocked.

Here is the thing about safety someone needs to take to them. Turf playing surfaces reduce head injuries by as much as 80%. Duke University did an independent study and showed that the majority of concussions were not actually head to head hits, but rather head to field  injuries. In instances where the argument that grass is a safer surface argument/study has been done, it is based on the playing surface being maintained, properly loosened. (in other words soft , non compacted dirt or clay in our situation) witch passes certain GMAX testing   https://www.sportsfieldmanagementmagazine.com/columns/turf-health/testing-your-turf/    Colleges and pro teams that use grass fields also have a full time maintenance  crew that constantly manages the playing surface. They also do not have, 20 soccer, games , 5 track meets, middle school, jv, and youth football games, and band competitions on them either. The actual cost to maintain a grass playing surface to that level and then limit it to only 8-10 football games a year would far exceed the cost of turf and maintenance. It then also opens it up for additional uses that would otherwise render unusable, especially after lots of rain Which in turn if used further compacts the soil even more so .

Edited by Blaze45
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Blaze45 said:

Here is the thing about safety someone needs to take to them. Turf playing surfaces reduce head injuries by as much as 80%. Duke University did an independent study and showed that the majority of concussions were not actually head to head hits, but rather head to field  injuries. In instances where the argument that grass is a safer surface argument/study has been done, it is based on the playing surface being maintained, properly loosened. (in other words soft , non compacted dirt or clay in our situation) witch passes certain GMAX testing   https://www.sportsfieldmanagementmagazine.com/columns/turf-health/testing-your-turf/    Colleges and pro teams that use grass fields also have a full time maintenance  crew that constantly manages the playing surface. They also do not have, 20 soccer, games , 5 track meets, middle school, jv, and youth football games, and band competitions on them either. The actual cost to maintain a grass playing surface to that level and then limit it to only 8-10 football games a year would far exceed the cost of turf and maintenance. It then also opens it up for additional uses that would otherwise render unusable, especially after lots of rain Which in turn if used further compacts the soil even more so .

Well I just learned something new