Sumner and Wilson County FBall

A lot of schools struggle to fill coaching staffs mainly because they cannot all teach PE and few are being certified in anything else. When I was in school we had a History teacher/football coach. Not a whole lot of that around anymore.  Then you end up with "Non-faculty" staffs and those just never seem to work out real well. Kids need to be around the coaches more than just practice time. Have them in class. Hang out in the cafeteria etc.

16 hours ago, eers said:

I’ve heard some rumors about this one. What started as some whispers a couple years ago has increasingly gotten louder. A lot of people calling for a new coach. Just not sure the administration is listening and even if they are, I’m not sure they will do anything. 

I’ve had several people tell me Williams isn’t the problem and that he doesn’t have any real help from the assistants. Not sure about that or if he has had control over who has been hired. Any thoughts on this?

I think when you say Administration, you mean Dr Becker.  He is the only one with the real say on this issue.   I am not sure if he really cares much about athletics at all and that is where the lack of support comes from. Not that he isn’t at games and such just not 100% all in.  

As for the assistants, I do not think that is true at all.  I think for the most part they do a decent job and it has been more of a revolving door recently.  You have 2 former head coaches on staff, young and older guys, you have guys with multiple years as position coaches and even a guy from out of state.  3 of those guys are in their 1st year.  3 others have been brought in in the past 3 years.  I do believe they all were picked by Williams too.  There have been others who interviewed but there was not a teaching position open that they qualified for that would have been excellent coaches as well.  

There is a huge ground swell that want Williams gone in the community, that is for certain.  Nobody believes that over the past 7 years that .500 is good enough or could not have been better.  

2 hours ago, jimb1972 said:

When not following my Jackets, I try to keep up with the Wave. 40+ years and counting! Been to many games! Larger schools need a "staff of coaches" to be successful, as well as players. That was a big advantage that Short had! It sickens me that in todays society everything falls on coaches. Coaches are in a no win situation unless they are extremely successful! At times it is coaches, but usually the problem is johnnies and joes. And there is a complete lack of loyalty in high schools these days, too many parents with influence are allowed to run the show. Maybe Becker should be held more accountable, if it was his hire. Remember Dan Herron, he put an emphasis on winning. Parents do not want their child disciplined, but wonder why team has none. Parents say team is soft, but this too starts at home! Hopefully, Becker will not bow down!

GO JACKETS!

You are correct in some things.  Becker made this hire and there were other candidates that might have been a better hire.  Many good coaches interviewed 7 years ago.  But don’t confuse the two, Becker is no Herron.  Herron would have told the school board to stick it if he had video evidence of Station Camp recruiting Gallatin players, Becker withdrew the complaint.  That lost a ton of respect in town.  There is no way the school board would have let him go with the support he would have received in this town had he stood his ground.  That is fact!!  Point is he made this hire and if he wants .500 ball then that what he is getting.  If he wants a change then he will make it and there is nothing anybody can do about it.  If Williams stays, there has to be huge changes to what he is doing because things are not getting better and support is waning on the street and in the halls.  I don’t think all the parents are as soft as you think.  

Honestly, don't know enough to say GHS kids are soft. Just say as a whole kids are softer today than in the past. I include my team in this as well.  I think many administrators know there job is not dependent on athletics these days and for tradition rich schools that is a hard pill to swallow. It starts at top down- DOS to principals. The days of Herron are unfortunately gone for those of us who are competitors!

GO JACKETS!

1 hour ago, GWAVE1 said:

I think when you say Administration, you mean Dr Becker.  He is the only one with the real say on this issue.   I am not sure if he really cares much about athletics at all and that is where the lack of support comes from. Not that he isn’t at games and such just not 100% all in.  

As for the assistants, I do not think that is true at all.  I think for the most part they do a decent job and it has been more of a revolving door recently.  You have 2 former head coaches on staff, young and older guys, you have guys with multiple years as position coaches and even a guy from out of state.  3 of those guys are in their 1st year.  3 others have been brought in in the past 3 years.  I do believe they all were picked by Williams too.  There have been others who interviewed but there was not a teaching position open that they qualified for that would have been excellent coaches as well.  

There is a huge ground swell that want Williams gone in the community, that is for certain.  Nobody believes that over the past 7 years that .500 is good enough or could not have been better.  

I don’t know enough about the inter-workings of that program to really know. Those were just some things I had heard. 

I doubt anything changes in Gallatin and I’m not sure the blame lies solely on Williams’ shoulders.  What I do know is that if they do make a change,  no good coach will be interested if they are unable to bring their own staff.

1 hour ago, eers said:

I don’t know enough about the inter-workings of that program to really know. Those were just some things I had heard. 

I doubt anything changes in Gallatin and I’m not sure the blame lies solely on Williams’ shoulders.  What I do know is that if they do make a change,  no good coach will be interested if they are unable to bring their own staff.

I really doubt that an entire staff has been let go at any school of any size when a new HC is brought in.  They tend to filter out as the years go by if the new HC evaluates how they are performing.   I am sure Williams is not solely to blame.  There are a lot of factors in the equation but in the end the HC is the one in charge and sets the tone, mood, work ethic, pattern, motivation, and ability to attract those who are not playing to play and those who want to leave into staying.  

The biggest problem with Mark Williams is he isn’t a jerk.  He is a very nice guy and genuinely cares.  That makes it hard to let him go.  He would probably be an outstanding coordinator or assistant but the leadership skills for a HC sometimes are lacking for a bunch of people.  The discipline of the football players have been questioned for the past few years and that is a major rub.  If he ends up staying you are gonna have to convince a ton of supporters he is the right guy and give specific reasons.  Look at that Beech/Gallatin game for the region title, granted it was on a Thursday but that was a sparse Gallatin crowd.  Attendance is lower than it has been since the 60’s.  And that is money.  

Knowing nothing about the Gallatin coaching staff and only having seen them play 1 time this year (on TV against Hendersonville) I am curious.  Does Williams coach the line offense or defense?  I talked to some Beech supporters after the Gallatin game and they said most years Gallatin is pretty good at RB and WR but almost every year the Bucs are better on the line.  In the TV game the Wave got dominated by Hendersonville on both lines.  If Williams coaches the line he does need to go.  They were not very good and got beat by an average Hendersonville team badly. 

4 hours ago, GWAVE1 said:

I really doubt that an entire staff has been let go at any school of any size when a new HC is brought in.  They tend to filter out as the years go by if the new HC evaluates how they are performing.   I am sure Williams is not solely to blame.  There are a lot of factors in the equation but in the end the HC is the one in charge and sets the tone, mood, work ethic, pattern, motivation, and ability to attract those who are not playing to play and those who want to leave into staying.  

The biggest problem with Mark Williams is he isn’t a jerk.  He is a very nice guy and genuinely cares.  That makes it hard to let him go.  He would probably be an outstanding coordinator or assistant but the leadership skills for a HC sometimes are lacking for a bunch of people.  The discipline of the football players have been questioned for the past few years and that is a major rub.  If he ends up staying you are gonna have to convince a ton of supporters he is the right guy and give specific reasons.  Look at that Beech/Gallatin game for the region title, granted it was on a Thursday but that was a sparse Gallatin crowd.  Attendance is lower than it has been since the 60’s.  And that is money.  

A lot of long time supporters that used to live and breath Green Wave Football have simply began to just not care that much about it lately. If the administration feels that there is no need to make changes after watching a once proud program get beat down regularly, it gives the entire town the vibe that nobody cares. I can't blame em' for not showing up. At the end of they day, I just hope the people in charge are just as angry about the current state of the program as we fans are, and will do something about it.

11 minutes ago, thegreatone36 said:

A lot of long time supporters that used to live and breath Green Wave Football have simply began to just not care that much about it lately. If the administration feels that there is no need to make changes after watching a once proud program get beat down regularly, it gives the entire town the vibe that nobody cares. I can't blame em' for not showing up. At the end of they day, I just hope the people in charge are just as angry about the current state of the program as we fans are, and will do something about it.

You need to let Becker know you are not happy if you want a change.  Email him and your reasons.  He is the only one who has the power to make a change.  

Edited by GWAVE1

5 hours ago, GWAVE1 said:

Not saying entire staff, but a new HC can’t be expected to retain the staff. The way it works is they come in and interview to determine which coaches may/may not work with their philosophy. You can’t expect a HC to keep coaches that are loyalty to (or bought into a losing philosophy) of the coach being replaced. If you do, you can’t hold him responsible for the action of those coaches, nor ultimately his success. If I’m a spread guy, it may not help to have people that only know wing-t techniques/philosophies. Now I have to teach coaches and kids. 

As far as it never happening, I have seen it multiple times where 80-100% leave, either by their choice or by the choice of others. I would never take a job where I was told I had to retain the staff. 

5 hours ago, eers said:

Not saying entire staff, but a new HC can’t be expected to retain the staff. The way it works is they come in and interview to determine which coaches may/may not work with their philosophy. You can’t expect a HC to keep coaches that are loyalty to (or bought into a losing philosophy) of the coach being replaced. If you do, you can’t hold him responsible for the action of those coaches, nor ultimately his success. If I’m a spread guy, it may not help to have people that only know wing-t techniques/philosophies. Now I have to teach coaches and kids. 

As far as it never happening, I have seen it multiple times where 80-100% leave, either by their choice or by the choice of others. I would never take a job where I was told I had to retain the staff. 

Seriously, not being a smartalic here, give me a few examples where they all left?  I have heard of coaches leaving over time but not all at once at a big school with 6 plus assistants.  Somewhere like Red Boiling Springs with only 2 or 3 coaches I have heard it happens.  I mean even Crabtree ran the wing-t at Beech before changing to smokestack, Perry has gone from wing-T to spread back to wing-T, Hollingsworth was wing-T then spread back to wing-T.    I think there are a few assistants at Gallatin that I am hearing might leave anyway.  

I agree with eers, top notch coach will want his people. WHAT IS THE COMMITMENT LEVEL? GWAVE dont you have college experience, maybe this your chance?  Heard DOS didnt have much interest in actually "watching the game" when at the game. More about being seen. Irked more than a few!

GO JACKETS!