Who ARE THE TOP 6A TEAMS IN MEMPHIS?

Briscoe

Willie or anyone else that might know because I do not. Has Maryville actually ever played a game in Memphis? My thinking the best my aging memory can recall is that they have not. I know Maryville has played Melrose before and Whitehaven and maybe even White Station but all of those games were in middle tennessee if I recall correctly. I only bring it up because although Maryville has been highly successful, I don't know if the outcomes would be the same if actually played in Memphis.

1 hour ago, workinprogress said:

Willie or anyone else that might know because I do not. Has Maryville actually ever played a game in Memphis? My thinking the best my aging memory can recall is that they have not. I know Maryville has played Melrose before and Whitehaven and maybe even White Station but all of those games were in middle tennessee if I recall correctly. I only bring it up because although Maryville has been highly successful, I don't know if the outcomes would be the same if actually played in Memphis.

I do not know if Maryville has played in Memphis. I highly doubt it though. In my opinion, Maryville does not like to play out of their comfort zone and that would include traveling across the state. Maryville unfortunately does not step up and play other nationally quality teams. I think they could play with them but it is just not something they want to do.

Post your question on a Maryville thread. I bet they know the answer and are like Oak Ridge in that they love to post comments. Oh, don't mention I said the stuff about them not stepping up. They can be sensitive about this and might get mad at me lol JK.

1 hour ago, workinprogress said:

I won't mention it Willie. I just can't remember if they have been to Memphis and really can't remember them playing a season game anywhere other than east Tennessee.

They played at Murfreesboro Oakland in the regular season last year and will host them this season. That is the best I can remember.. They are perfectly content on winning State Titles and not interested in playing teams from out of state. I don't agree and would cheer for them against out of state teams but it is their school.

Maryville has some of my favorite posters on CoachT I I hope I haven't stepped on toes. I will go back to my home board now.

On 7/9/2018 at 6:40 PM, workinprogress said:

I've been following high school football in Memphis for quite a while and I can't ever remember a Maryville team coming to Memphis to play. On the same note, I don't know of any Memphis team to travel to Maryville/Alcoa to play a game either. 

Speaking on playing a top out-of-town team. Whitehaven, in the past, started playing top out-of-town teams when they got invited to play in an event in Missouri on a Saturday morning. Whithaven played against St. Rita, a private school, back in 2011. That was the beginning of an annual tradition for Whitehaven to have a TRAVEL game on the schedule. This meant that the team, parents, alumn, band, and bossters had to actually PLAN a trip that involved chartering busses and hotel stays and the whole nine yards. That was a wonderful experience for everyone involved. I highly suggest doing it for any team. The intent was to travel out-of-state to play a quality opponent. Towards the end Whiehaven played Florence Alabama in 2015 and again in 2016. That tradidion ended in 2017 when Whitehaven had a team back out at the last minute and left them scrambling to have a complete schedule. That's not the first time, while doing an out-of-town game that Whitehaven had a team not honor their word and keep the game on the schedule. Whitehaven had set up an arrangment with a school back in 2013 to have a follow-up game in 2014 that ended up with the opposing team pulling out of the agreement. It was suppose to be a home and home. So, Whitehaven had to scramble, again, to have a complete schedule the next season and had a local school help out by scheduling to play in order to help WHitehaven have a full schedule. The next year, Whitehaven re-committed to the travel game and played Florence, Alabama two years in a row as mentioned earlier.

I said all of that to say this. The travel game is a good thing for the TEAM. The pros of doing this is that the young men have to pack their grip and collectively enter a hostile environment and face a really good team that will hit them in the mouth ... repeatedly. It builds character and unity and other team oriented things ... win, lose, or draw. The con is the opposition can pull out and not play, even if the games are agreed upon at a time established. IF the team pulls out, it creates havoc trying to replace the game, especially if the team pulls out late in the pre-season. Whitehaven hasn't scheduled an out-of-town game since. I love them, but I understand why they stopped. The whole point is to leave the STATE and play a quality opponent. I suppose they could travel in-state and play a quality D2 program ... but for reasons I will not go into ... that probably won't happen.

I understand why Maryville doesn't do it. It's not worth the headache. Their schedule is competitive enough to prepare them for the post season. There is no need for them to play a team from Alabama, or Georgia, or from wherever, for that matter. The fact that they put Oakand on the schedule is a good quality decision. I'll never say that Maryville, or any other school, should play a top ranked out-of-town team. It isn't worth the headache. If you can fill out a schedule and have some good quality in-state competition, that's good enough to me. Folks will never be satisfied anyway. If the play Hoover, then they should have played so-and-so, and so on. Why even bother, when they can play Oakland, and West, and Alcoa, and play good qulity in-stae teams, and not have their fan base have to travel a great distance to see a game? I don't biame them. Trying to please folk who say "They should play a good out-of-town team." solves or proves nothing. It has it's pros, but the cons out weigh the pros ... just to please some folk who crave to see some game against some opponent.

Why bother?

Edited by kwc
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BlackHavenSenator said:

I'd love for Maryville, MBA, Ensworth or even CBHS in the city to come to Da Haven but at the end of the day folks don't want them Ls. S/O to all the Middle and East TN fans that are fooled about the Red Dragon. 

Speaking of the Red Dragon, how's the great GQ doing in the college ranks?

Milan needed another game back in the spring. Offered to come to your place. Saulsberry said he was skeered!!  Didn't want dat big fat juicy L he would hav got served....bruh