Coach Dancy to Coach both Boys and Girls at Milan

WhereYouAt

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/3/2018 at 11:23 AM, WhereYouAt said:

Any thoughts on this?

Butch Hopkins used to do it at Dyer County (then AA) in the late 90s for a few years.

Derrick McCord does it at Dyer County now. He's had winning seasons with both but they're AAA and have to go through Memphis.

It can be a great thing if a coach isn't overwhelmed with too many duties at school. 

2 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

Butch Hopkins used to do it at Dyer County (then AA) in the late 90s for a few years.

Derrick McCord does it at Dyer County now. He's had winning seasons with both but they're AAA and have to go through Memphis.

It can be a great thing if a coach isn't overwhelmed with too many duties at school. 

True. Coach Rudesill has done it for years at Bolivar too. I think you are right. If he has a lot of teaching duties at the school it will be tough. I hear the boys have a good group coming in.

19 hours ago, WhereYouAt said:

True. Coach Rudesill has done it for years at Bolivar too. I think you are right. If he has a lot of teaching duties at the school it will be tough. I hear the boys have a good group coming in.

The issue at Milan with the boys is baseball and football. Those two sports are going to take precedent like they always have.

The girls were really good about 10-12 years ago.

20 minutes ago, warmachine7954 said:

The issue at Milan with the boys is baseball and football. Those two sports are going to take precedent like they always have.

The girls were really good about 10-12 years ago.

The kids that play football and basketball makes it hard on hoops because you don't have those kids all pre-season and takes until January to get them in Hoops shape. Baseball really don't impact hoops unless a kid don't play basketball because they don't want to miss out on the pre-season baseball stuff.

Yeah Milan is a traditional football school for sure. didn't know they emphasized baseball though.

5 hours ago, WhereYouAt said:

The kids that play football and basketball makes it hard on hoops because you don't have those kids all pre-season and takes until January to get them in Hoops shape. Baseball really don't impact hoops unless a kid don't play basketball because they don't want to miss out on the pre-season baseball stuff.

Yeah Milan is a traditional football school for sure. didn't know they emphasized baseball though.

The timing of baseball season doesn't mess with basketball but the attitude does. Milan is Football first and baseball is a close second. It is a culture that is hard to change in a lot of places.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:58 AM, WhereYouAt said:

One thing you have to consider is that each program will get the same attention from the Coach. It's hard for a coach to overcome their natural pull to one side either the girls or boys game.  You will get a lot of talk about this from parents. ie: the girls don't get attention they need because the coach favorite is the boys or the boys don't get a fair shake during the games cause Coach made the Refs made during girls game. Just get ready its going to be said.  The Coach needs to be limited as to duties other than basketball and will require assistants to be focus on just one side of the equation. Too much cross over between teams will cause a drag. Just speaking from what have seen and that's coming from a school where so far its has worked pretty darn good and sent teams from both sides to Murfreesboro.

3 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Not even on the radar. It’s a shame really. I think Dancy probably did it because he will get two stipends and the money will be really great. But he probably has bitten off a lot more than he can chew. I wish him nothing but the best though. 

Is it because there is a stigma around basketball or do they not have the kids to compete?