Boys Basketball Classifications.... change needed?????

WhereYouAt

These numbers may not be spot on but they are close. Classifications of Bordering States. Do we need more classifications for Basketball???

Arkansas has a population of 2.9 Million and has 7 Classes - 468 High Schools

Mississippi has a population of less than 3 Million and has 6 classes - 568 High Schools

Alabama has a population of less than 4.8 Million and has 7 classes - 1,106 High Schools

Georgia has a population of less than 10.5 Million and has 7 classes - 2,200 High Schools

North Carolina has a population of less than 10.7 Million and has 4 classes - 2 557 High Schools

Virginia has a population of less than 8.5 Million and has 6 classes - 966 High Schools

Missouri has a population of less than 6.1 Million and has 5 classes - 2,406 High Schools

Kentucky has a population of less than 4.5 Million and has ONE CLASS (WOW) - 691 High Schools

Tennessee has a population of 6.3 Million and has 3 CLASSES - 734 High Schools

Edited by WhereYouAt

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, 13sports said:

Tennessee does not have 734 high schools that are playing basketball.  Additionally, there are also schools that play in Division II.  

I got the data from the same web page ( https://high-schools.com/directory/tn/ )  on all states so I'm sure you can say the same thing about the other states as far as all of them are not playing basketball. However, I can't name one high school that does not have a boys basketball team. I'm sure there are a few. But with the data coming from the same web site you can say the same thing about the other states.

Yes Division II A and AA private schools play a role but again, the same goes for the other states.  So back to my original question,  comparing the size of the border states of Tennessee should we have more classification?

On 5/8/2018 at 8:34 AM, WhereYouAt said:

I got the data from the same web page ( https://high-schools.com/directory/tn/ )  on all states so I'm sure you can say the same thing about the other states as far as all of them are not playing basketball. However, I can't name one high school that does not have a boys basketball team. I'm sure there are a few. But with the data coming from the same web site you can say the same thing about the other states.

Yes Division II A and AA private schools play a role but again, the same goes for the other states.  So back to my original question,  comparing the size of the border states of Tennessee should we have more classification?

How would they even out the districts?  Even now with three classes some districts have just 4 or 5 teams. District 4AA in the Knoxville has Alcoa, Austin-East, Fulton, Kingston and Scott.

2 hours ago, QSouth89 said:

How would they even out the districts?  Even now with three classes some districts have just 4 or 5 teams. District 4AA in the Knoxville has Alcoa, Austin-East, Fulton, Kingston and Scott.

The Districts would not be even and that would be fine. They aren't even now.

single A

We have Districts that have 4 teams and districts that have 12

double A

We have Districts that have 5 and districts that have 10

Triple A

We have districts that have 5 and districts that have 9

North Carolina really has 8 classes. 1A - 1AA, 2A - 2AA, 3A - 3AA & 4A - 4AA. Teams will at times play a mixed schedule and then playoffs in their correct division. Their class are based off of ADM average daily membership. 

Once the 64 qualifying teams are determined in each classification of the playoffs, the NCHSAA sub-divides the classifications based on the ADM numbers. For example, when all 64 qualifying teams in the 4-A class are determined, the 32 schools with the largest ADM numbers will go to the 4-AA playoffs, while the smallest 32 schools will go to the 4-A playoffs.

I'm not sure what the answer is... but I do think we need more... However, the TSSAA will not do it because of the costs of the venues... they barely make enough money to pay the venues for the weeks they use them with only 3 classifications... The answer would be to only take 4 teams to the state, but then the coaches would not like that idea... even if there were 4 or 5 classifications... 

47 minutes ago, threeball said:

I'm not sure what the answer is... but I do think we need more... However, the TSSAA will not do it because of the costs of the venues... they barely make enough money to pay the venues for the weeks they use them with only 3 classifications... The answer would be to only take 4 teams to the state, but then the coaches would not like that idea... even if there were 4 or 5 classifications... 

Growing up in Chicago we had 2 classes, A and AA (they have more now) but the teams were all mixed together for instance my high school was class AA and they other teams in the Chicago Prep Conference were all class A) we didn't have districts tournaments.  We had regionals at a particular school (the host school was selected by location and gym size) 6 teams were placed in that regional with the two best teams receiving byes and 3-6 played, then you advanced to super regionals, sectionals and super sectionals.  The state tournament was played in one day.   Add another class and send 4 teams to state. I would like to see the tournament moved from MTSU and played at Lipscomb University.  Very nice gym and it would hold the crowds.

23 hours ago, UTRok said:

North Carolina really has 8 classes. 1A - 1AA, 2A - 2AA, 3A - 3AA & 4A - 4AA. Teams will at times play a mixed schedule and then playoffs in their correct division. Their class are based off of ADM average daily membership. 

Once the 64 qualifying teams are determined in each classification of the playoffs, the NCHSAA sub-divides the classifications based on the ADM numbers. For example, when all 64 qualifying teams in the 4-A class are determined, the 32 schools with the largest ADM numbers will go to the 4-AA playoffs, while the smallest 32 schools will go to the 4-A playoffs.

This is what they use in basketball? Interesting concept. Not likely to be considered in Tennessee but I think I like the idea.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:18 AM, WhereYouAt said:

The Districts would not be even and that would be fine. They aren't even now.

single A

We have Districts that have 4 teams and districts that have 12

double A

We have Districts that have 5 and districts that have 10

Triple A

We have districts that have 5 and districts that have 9

More classifications are needed to allow for better district lines. District 13AAA has 5 teams with one district game being 113 miles apart and 2 plus hours to drive. That's just insane for  high school district travel. Schools are forced into competition with other schools double their size. Natural rivals no longer play and its hurts the schools themselves.