Grace Christian Franklin Dropping Football

A couple of points:

1. GCA has only been a TSSAA member school for 3 years.  They have not dropped a district/region football schedule in the past.

2. Playing young and physically small players in any other sport is not like playing them in football.  There is a big difference with playing a bunch of 8th graders in a varsity soccer game vs a varsity football game.  The whole "men and boys thing."

3. GCA asked to be moved to Division II for the upcoming fall and their request was denied.

4. I don't recall the people who are worked up about this voicing any concerns when the schools in District 10-A Boys and Girls Basketball colluded in what could be described as nothing less than cartel-style behavior in collectively refusing to play Columbia Academy during the regular season, and then decreeing those games they refused to play were a forfeit for the other team.

5. The amount of complaining about public and private schools is simply stunning considering all but five private schools are out of Division I and those five will be out in 12 months.  If you have a problem with those five being in Division I, go talk to your representative on the board of control and legislative council.  They wrote the rules which permits them to still play in Division I in 2017-18 and 2018-19.

6. They are not going to be banned from the post-season in all sports.  Why?  Because the TSSAA Constitution and Bylaws do not permit that.  This is why he have rules which are to be followed rather than a dictator following the whims of a mob.  Rule of law vs rule of man

NOTES:

#4  - that cartel-style behavior is at or near the top of the list of all time examples of what we as adults should not be teaching student-athletes.  Justifying it because of public-private is poor and something which I hope none of the student-athletes "learning" from the adults ever emulates 10-15 years from now when they are in coaching and administrative positions which makes these kind of decisions.

JFW

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, JFW3 said:

A couple of points:

1. GCA has only been a TSSAA member school for 3 years.  They have not dropped a district/region football schedule in the past.

2. Playing young and physically small players in any other sport is not like playing them in football.  There is a big difference with playing a bunch of 8th graders in a varsity soccer game vs a varsity football game.  The whole "men and boys thing."

3. GCA asked to be moved to Division II for the upcoming fall and their request was denied.

4. I don't recall the people who are worked up about this voicing any concerns when the schools in District 10-A Boys and Girls Basketball colluded in what could be described as nothing less than cartel-style behavior in collectively refusing to play Columbia Academy during the regular season, and then decreeing those games they refused to play were a forfeit for the other team.

5. The amount of complaining about public and private schools is simply stunning considering all but five private schools are out of Division I and those five will be out in 12 months.  If you have a problem with those five being in Division I, go talk to your representative on the board of control and legislative council.  They wrote the rules which permits them to still play in Division I in 2017-18 and 2018-19.

6. They are not going to be banned from the post-season in all sports.  Why?  Because the TSSAA Constitution and Bylaws do not permit that.  This is why he have rules which are to be followed rather than a dictator following the whims of a mob.  Rule of law vs rule of man

NOTES:

#4  - that cartel-style behavior is at or near the top of the list of all time examples of what we as adults should not be teaching student-athletes.  Justifying it because of public-private is poor and something which I hope none of the student-athletes "learning" from the adults ever emulates 10-15 years from now when they are in coaching and administrative positions which makes these kind of decisions.

JFW

BOOM! Thank you for the information and for answering my question about how long Grace Franklin has been playing TSSAA football. My question to the mob is, why do you want to play against 8th, 9th and 10th graders so bad? It would be a Varsity Team playing a JV team on a Friday night with those young kids getting injured and possibly suffering a career ending injury. And if your answer is anything other than “We want to beat up on a private school JV team and pound our chest” you’re lying to yourself. Grace Franklin will be fined and have to pay each of the schools on their schedule for breach of contract. 

8 hours ago, jimmycrackedthatcorn said:

We do not care about playing privates or how old their players are. TC has had privates in our region for decades. Big deal.

Do not drop football in the middle of a contract. That is my problem with it. Just ride out this next year and then drop it. 

I have to agree with the corn cracker!Boom Pride:D

On May 19, 2018 at 1:53 AM, JFW3 said:

A couple of points:

NOTES:

JFW

Might want to read the by laws again, the only reason they have not dropped the region schedule is because all other sports will get a post season ban unless the TSSAA forgives them.  Don't be posting false information, some people might believe you.

12 minutes ago, rebelboy121 said:

Might want to read the by laws again, the only reason they have not dropped the region schedule is because all other sports will get a post season ban unless the TSSAA forgives them.  Don't be posting false information, some people might believe you.

That is incorrect.  If you have something in the TSSAA Constitution and Bylaws which says otherwise, please post either a link, screenshot, or state the Article and Section where this is found.

The only sport possibly impacted by this is boys basketball.

Edited by JFW3

Excerpt from the article on page 1. 

Childress said TSSAA policy states that if a school drops out of the region series, the school is also out of the basketball postseason. 

The schools plan on appealing the basketball postseason ban at the Board of Control's June meeting. In past years, the board has approved schools to continue to play in the basketball postseason.