1A State Tournament

orngnblk

18 hours ago, orngnblk said:

Greenback's "big game" comes early...the two best (IMO) on that side of the bracket face off in game one, and the winner will have the inside track to the championship game(s). Other side of the bracket has TCA and Loretto potentially meeting in the second game with the same consequences. Loretto is probably the best suited team in the tourney to win it from the losers bracket, but also the most likely not to be in it.

Gotta' root for TCA to bring home the hardware...great program with some great fans, but I have a hard time pulling against most of those left.  

1 hour ago, orngnblk said:

Thanks Tom.Odds are stacked against both of us but wouldnt you LOVE to see these two in the finals!

Don't worry too much about the "odds"...everybody was posting that Loretto had an easy path to the championship game in '16 because "the tough teams were in the other side of the bracket". We beat them twice and the defending champs to win it. Easy side...hurumph!

9 hours ago, Southtowner said:

SouthTown Ranking

Loretto
Union City
Trinity Christian 
Columbia Academy 
South Pittsburg 
Greenback
Gordonsville
University High

This is how I would rank the 8 teams remaining in Class A.   Just my ranking. Nothing more. Nothing less. 

Greenback has already beaten the Pirates once this year,so i would have to reverse those two just for that reason.:D

9 hours ago, orngnblk said:

Greenback has already beaten the Pirates once this year,so i would have to reverse those two just for that reason.:D

I agree. We have played 3 of the 8 teams in the tournament, and we won 2 of those 3 games. I think strength of schedule will help us out, but I'm not sure this is our year. If we beat Union City, I could see us going to the ship, but I know that's going to be a very tough game to win. I really like how things are shaping up for next year though! We have literally everyone returning. Good luck to all 8 teams. Should be fun to see how things turn out.

Having seen almost every team on the list, I will say that the Riverdale bracket is the toughest and Loretto has an easier road to the finals.  I am biased towards Gordonsville, but am going to try and be objective, then I'll make an overall pick.

I will be surprised, unless they get complacent, if Loretto isn't back in the finals in the Middle TN Christian Bracket.  TCA appears to be the team that will test Loretto the most.  I don't think South Pitt will match up well with TCA, and USJC isn't ready for Weathers.  A lot of folks talk about Weathers, but Loretto has more than one good arm.  Loretto swings the bats better than last year.

On the Riverdale side, this bracket is as balanced as I've seen one.  I think Columbia Acad has been playing as well as any team there lately would and probably be the favorite.  Gordonsville is here for the third year in a row, has a veteran team, and isn't afraid of the big game.  They will be a tough out and has a deep pitching staff.  They are team that constantly gets counted out, and finds a way to win.  In the last 3 years, Gordonsville is 14-2 in elimination games.  Greenback and Union city will be a tough one.  I haven't seen Union City, but it appears their schedule is weaker than the rest. Still, no losses to in state teams is impressive.  Greenback has played a tough schedule and beaten some good teams.  They are scrappy, throw it and field it well, and have speed. 

I think in the end, CA beats Gordonsville in the second elimination game to face Loretto in the finals, and Loretto makes it back to back baseball championships as Weathers takes up the Atlanta Braves 1st round draft pick offer and goes pro.

Ranking the Pools:

1.  Loretto, 2. TCA, 3. South Pitt, 4. Univ School JC

1.  Columbia Acad, 2. Gordonsville, 3. Greenback, 4. Union City