Adjustments to Baseball Post Season Brackets

jmj1961

Two suggestions to TSSAA baseball post season:  (1) Since most districts have 8 teams, rather than district tournaments being double elimination, allow the top 4 finishers in the district tournament to advance to the Region as in basketball.  This would field 64 teams in Region play rather than 32, and speed up district play.  First round in Region would still be single elimination to allow the last 16 to advance to sectionals as they do now.  (2)  Make the state tournament a true double elimination among all 8 teams.

2 hours ago, jmj1961 said:

Two suggestions to TSSAA baseball post season:  (1) Since most districts have 8 teams, rather than district tournaments being double elimination, allow the top 4 finishers in the district tournament to advance to the Region as in basketball.  This would field 64 teams in Region play rather than 32, and speed up district play.  First round in Region would still be single elimination to allow the last 16 to advance to sectionals as they do now.  (2)  Make the state tournament a true double elimination among all 8 teams.

This is actually one of the better of many "ideas" to expedite the process of selecting the final eight for the state tourney. Problem is, it doesn't improve over what is in place. Increasing the field by double would decrease regular season significance, and condense it into a one game to advance scenario, as well as taking a couple of home games from top seeds. I also don't agree with the reasoning of the "true double elimination" for the final eight...I like the winners/losers brackets formula because it rewards consistency, and you aren't eliminated until you lose twice anyway. Championship game participants have either earned their way there by avoiding a loss, or overcoming one. The only thing that I don't like about the current setup, your proposition doesn't address...depending upon what stage of the process you incur a loss determines whether you are eliminated or advance.

I would rather see the Region Tournament be similar to the NCAA format for regionals - 4 teams, double elimination tournament.  At worst you would be done by Thursday instead of Wednesday (2 games Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, if necessary on Thursday).  The sub-state would follow the NCAA Super Regional format - 2 teams, best of 3.  Play a DH on Friday, if necessary on Saturday.  

6 hours ago, SPHS09 said:

Here’s an idea. How about 6 classes in baseball just like in football. It’s absolutely ridiculous that baseball and basketball only have 3 classes. We have more teams in baseball than we do in football but less number of classes. 

I like the Georgia model, plus the Championship games are held at a great facility (UGA, Rome, Mercer, Savannah).  T$$AA doens't have to reinvent the wheel

10 hours ago, Ascendotuum said:

I would rather see the Region Tournament be similar to the NCAA format for regionals - 4 teams, double elimination tournament.  At worst you would be done by Thursday instead of Wednesday (2 games Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, if necessary on Thursday).  The sub-state would follow the NCAA Super Regional format - 2 teams, best of 3.  Play a DH on Friday, if necessary on Saturday.  

Sounds better, but this coupled with the new pitch count rules would deplete the pitching staff. Throw in  some weather to condense the timeframe and everybody except AAA would be pitching kids who hadn't thrown all season. I don't necessarily like seeing one dominant pitcher win the tournament for a mediocre club, but I wouldn't want to try to manage with four or five pitchers through what you describe above, especially from the losers bracket.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:16 AM, Ascendotuum said:

Not enough time if it rains.

• 3 weeks later...

I just prefer the Georgia model. They have 8 regions and the top 4 teams from the regular season go to the playoffs (no regional tournament). So that would be like our 16 districts sending the top 2 teams from the regular season.

32 teams play best 2 of 3 series all the way. They start the playoffs the week of April 23rd and have a series per week (doesn't wear out pitching) because they start allowing a few weeks earlier than we do. 

Or

I would like to see us get rid of District tournaments, take the top 2 teams from district regular season, have a 4-team regional double elimination tournament (this year, theweek of May 7th), have a week off to rest pitching, then have the Spring Fling like normal. 

The single elimination Regional semi-finals and sectional game is idiotic.

I completely agree we should have the same number of classifications in baseball/basketball as football.  I personnally think 6 is too many (Georgia has 6 as well, but has about 200 more schools). I think 4 or 5 in all sports.