AA State Championship Game

Swipes

24 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Greeneville Vs Loudon for the AA State Championship Game.  Can Loudon take down the defending state champs or does Greeneville add another Championship to the Trophy Case for the Year?

Loudon always comes out like they shot out of a cannon, and then will start to fade. I think Greenville will whether the storm and win.

I agree that Loudon comes out fast.  They had us 3-0 at half, but we were able to turn it around to 4-3 by the end of the game.  Loudon is very fast and passes well, but we saw Greenville in Gatlinburg playing Central Magnet and they have a very strong defense. Seeing them both play I would give the advantage to Greenville, but anything can happen.

Greeneville is a quality team that deserves to be where they are. It is incumbent upon the referee to reward the right type of play and punish the wrong type of play. You can't blame the player for flopping if they continue to get rewarded for it.

i understand that a Dobyns Bennett attacker was red-carded for simulation in a Sectional final. Was he required to sit the first State match? Very few high school refs have the confidence or guts to make that call. Too often, any contact or simulation of contact results in a foul being called. Greeneville is very good at using this to their advantage. Credit to them!

I haven’t seen Greeneville play. But I will say this: people, normally on the losing side, use this excuse way too often. Soccer is a physical game, but it’s not as physical as the way high school boys in the US play. At least according to the rules. I can’t watch a quality high school game, especially between two high level teams, because it’s one body slamming into another over and over. When a rare team (very rare) tries to play true possession soccer, more often than not the opposing team is fouling at every opportunity. Few refs give yellows for repeated fouls. Yellows are generally just for hard fouls and mouthing off.

You say not enough cards for simulation, I say not enough cards for repetitive and hard fouls.