Injury before senior season can anything be done?

draygus

My son injured his foot the 3rd game of his junior season.  Doctors recommended conservative treatment that went on for months it included walking boot and months of therapy.  We were told 1st week of June that the only way to fix his foot is surgery (2nd opinion from Vanderbilt confirmed surgery was needed).  Surgery is scheduled for next week.  Recovery time is 8 weeks in a wheel chair and 4 months after that before any contact would be allowed.  So, he missed 70% of his junior year and now he's going to miss his entire senior season.  Athletic director at our school said there is nothing that can be done.  He recommended a prep school for a 5th year of high school football.  He just turned 17 in April.  So age would not be an issue.

Is there any other way around this?  I feel terrible for him.  He's played football since he was 7 and you can imagine the heartbreak of not getting to play his junior or senior season.

Edited by draygus
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, draygus said:

My son injured his foot the 3rd game of his junior season.  Doctors recommended conservative treatment that went on for months it included walking boot and months of therapy.  We were told 1st week of June that the only way to fix his foot is surgery (2nd opinion from Vanderbilt confirmed surgery was needed).  Surgery is scheduled for next week.  Recovery time is 8 weeks in a wheel chair and 4 months after that before any contact would be allowed.  So, he missed 70% of his junior year and now he's going to miss his entire senior season.  Athletic director at our school said there is nothing that can be done.  He recommended a prep school for a 5th year of high school football.  He just turned 17 in April.  So age would not be an issue.

Is there any other way around this?  I feel terrible for him.  He's played football since he was 7 and you can imagine the heartbreak of not getting to play his junior or senior season.

You can't red shirt in high school.   Only option he has that I'm aware of is playing Intramural football in college if he isn't good enough to make a roster.

I believe I would have had a talk with that doctor at the time of his "conservative treatment" statement and asked for a 2nd opinion.  That is easy for me to say without knowing the entire consultation, treatment, therapy process.  A prep school is the best alternative to the problem that I know of and it would not count against his 5 for 4 in college. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sheppy said:

I believe I would have had a talk with that doctor at the time of his "conservative treatment" statement and asked for a 2nd opinion.  That is easy for me to say without knowing the entire consultation, treatment, therapy process.  A prep school is the best alternative to the problem that I know of and it would not count against his 5 for 4 in college. 

Yea hindsight is always 20/20.  The MRI showed a severe sprain of the lisfranc ligament.  There was no tear.  2nd MRI still showed no tear but he has instability in the mid foot.  The ligament is not holding the foot together.

Edited by draygus

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:51 AM, FreeAgent11 said:

You can't red shirt in high school.   Only option he has that I'm aware of is playing Intramural football in college if he isn't good enough to make a roster.

Actually you can...it's a drastic measure, but he could transfer and repeat his junior year if he's only seventeen. No record of athletic involvement for the prior calendar year. I'm aware of this because someone I know did all the legwork in order to make it happen, then decided not to follow through.

2 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Actually you can...it's a drastic measure, but he could transfer and repeat his junior year if he's only seventeen. No record of athletic involvement for the prior calendar year. I'm aware of this because someone I know did all the legwork in order to make it happen, then decided not to follow through.

Unless a college scholarship was on the line if they had a breakout senior season, I'd never suggest that.

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:23 PM, FreeAgent11 said:

Unless a college scholarship was on the line if they had a breakout senior season, I'd never suggest that.

I'd never have done it personally nor would suggest that anyone else, but there are personal choices involved. If a season of football (or any other sport) matters enough to forgo graduating with your peers and changing schools, then it's an option.

• 2 weeks later...

It's unfortunate, but there's much more to life than football. No way would I recommend basically putting  a (pretty important) year of his life on hold just to play another season of football; unless, as was mentioned above, you or he legitimately believes it could be the difference in getting a scholarship or not.