UC Golden Tornadoes VS Mayfield Cardinals August 17th at War Memorial

SImpleplan

Well  in the  end, MH was just too much and my Tornadoes just ran out of gas. I thought it was a super classy thing your coach did by taking a knee when y'all could have easily scored again. Much respect for that. We just started cramping up and just got worn out.

55 I appreciate your kind words and for my boys. Thank you sir. MH is strong you as usual. Overall, it was a great game and I am very proud of my Tornadoes. Good luck to the Cardinals the rest of the way

45 minutes ago, Mysonis55 said:

Wow, I was impressed with the grit from UC. I will be wishing you guys great luck the rest of the way. Swo, I didn’t get to see you. It was a very busy night for me. I do like this young team of yours better this year. 

Nice of you to say 55. Wasn't sure what to expect from you after. Ton of respect for your team. 90% of teams we play if we have lead going into 4th it's as good as over, but you guys kept hammering. Just glad it was a better game than last year and maybe we earned a little respect back. Good luck to you guys rest of year. Hope to see you next year!

• Upvote 1

Could not have been more impressed with UC!  Those kids were tougher than nails and left everything they had on that field.  Congrats to my Cards!  This bunch of Cards, like the ones before them, handled the adversity and have a trade mark of all the great Cardinal teams before them in the never give up approach to the game.  MF WR Cade Neely fractured 3 ribs and has a bruised lung his mom is reporting from the Mayfield ER.  When he left the game he had 130 yards receiving per the radio announcer.  

The best player I saw on the field last night wore a white #21 jersey.  A stud by all definitions!  34 carries for 225+/- yards, are you kidding me, pure stud!  The UC QB may have been the 2nd best player I saw, another stud!  

The run of the night goes to Cards #6, Mathews who in the early stages of the 4th Q took a handoff and had one unblocked defender to beat about 5 yards past the line of scrimmage where he threw one of the nastiest stiff arms I have seen in sometime in route to a long run.  Mathews just got stronger and stronger as the game went on.  

MF is famous for making few mistakes, UC probably is too, but the MF snap and holder exchange cost us dearly and will have to be addressed this week.  

So what did we learn?  For MF the new line was and still is a issue and work in progress.  To survive and thrive vs the bigger class schools that we have on the schedule and the big city private schools we will see in the playoffs we will have to continue to improve and UC was perfect in showing us our areas that need to improve and we always learn and improve from this type game.   I was glad to see us platooning linemen all night, this will pay dividends as the season moves along.  Our skill positions were as advertised, we are 2 deep or more at every receiver, RB and even QB and they will serve us well.  On defense we were just out manned up front but these guys should learn and improve quickly and our linebackers should also learn and improve quickly.  Our play on the corners I thought was pretty dang good.  

For UC it looked like just simply a matter of running out of gas.  By the 4th Quarter the UC low gas warning light was on.  As the weather cools and the conditioning gained from week after week of football this should improve.  UC has as good of 11 each way as anyone but needs to develop some depth for the playoff run.  

Good luck to the tornado the rest of the way, I look forward to following you guys the rest of the way!  Great team and great fans!

11 hours ago, Bigsw02 said:

On my way. I will be there in about 15 minutes. I want to meet as many of you Cardinal posters as I can. If it's possible. So if we can meet someone from your side say where and when

Wish you had posted this earlier, by the time you posted most of us were already there tailgating.  Our end zone tail gate parties are alot of fun and no one leaves hungry.  I have found our tailgating to be some of the best anywhere and in your return trip to War Memorial I want you to come and see for yourself.  

Is it just me or did the refs really suck last night? I mean I have seen it bad before but to give a team an extra down is "down" right stupid. We appreciated the down as it turned out we didn't need it. We were in the stands laughing a little but I couldn't believe they could make that kind of mistake. There were other things that caused both coaches to go far out onto the field and argue their case. Just saying

Plain and simple what beat us was lack of depth … Union City did everything they wanted on offense until the 4th quarter … You dominate the TOP like we did, rush for well over 300 yards, have a kid rush for over 200 yards, have no turnovers and almost no penalties you usually win … Mayfield is deeper and were running defensive linemen in and out and it wore us down late … Mayfield is a great program and they are very well coached, not only at the top but as well as top notch assistants … Those guys don't know what losing is, especially at home, and they showed that last night … I hope we gave a better account of our program than what you Mayfield fans saw from us last year … Good luck the rest of the way out ...

Edited by Purple & Gold Standard

I got to attend.  My unbiased opinion.  UC had the tables turned on them.  Usually it's the other team getting worn down.  Great game plan by Mayfield to sub, and keep defensive starters fresher for late in the game.  Mayfield had the Quickest scoring offense I've seen.  1-5 plays and they where in the end zone almost every drive.  I think they where only stopped on 1 drive all night, and if the receiver catches the ball that hit him in the hands in the red zone early on, they wouldn't have been stopped on any drive.  UC was successful for most part offensively, but Mayfield got a few stops especially late.  I felt Mayfield got shafted on UC lone score of 2nd half when they got the stop on 4th down, only for UC to get a 1st down on a penalty for hitting qb as he threw ball.  21 for UC a stud.  2, and 6 for Mayfield awesome as well.  Hope number 2 is ok.  I thought it was a bad call by Bowling to punt mid 4th down 1 Score.  If he goes for it and they get 1st down they had a chance to go down and score with little time left, and go for 2 and the win.  I don't care if it was a fairly long 4th down, and back close to endzone.  It was obvious they could not stop Mayfield and had to keep posession, I mean Mayfield ended up scoring 43, knelt down inside 10 1st and goal to end the game with 2 mins left so could have scored 50, and probably didn't have ball more than a quarter of the game that's how quick, and easily they was scoring, and you are going to give them the ball back when you are down to them a score?  I knew when they punted it was over. Good news for UC is I think the way they played is good enough to win out the rest of the year if they play that flawless offensively from here on out with no turnovers, and few penalties.  Doubt they play anyone with an offense like that, and with as much debth to wear them down.  If UC gets a couple stops, and up 2 scores I don't see them losing, they just couldn't quite get up that 2nd score to make Mayfield panic.  Good luck to both going forward, and hope they both get a gold ball.