Rules

strichardson

Question. 

I was told that there was a rule change regarding backcourt violations. This person said that a player can dribble the ball across half court. Then turn and pass the ball to somebody that hasn't made it across, but as long as the person that hasn't made it across yet catches the ball in the air and lands across the half court line, they are OK. 

Originally, you had to have crossed half court before they could throw you the ball. 

Help would be appreciated, especially if you are a ref.

Haven’t heard that. Personally I would like to see a consistency when a player doesn’t cleanly catch a pass, it hits the ground, and they pick it back up.  Sometimes when they next take an actual dribble, they get called for double dribble and sometimes nothing. I think this needs to be addressed more than the backcourt rule. 

Found this on rule changes for this year.

9-9-1: A player shall not be the first to touch the ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt. EXCEPTION: Any player located in the backcourt may recover a ball deflected from the frontcourt by the defense.

Rationale: To ensure that a team is not unfairly disadvantaged on a deflected pass.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/8/2018 at 12:41 AM, strichardson said:

Question. 

I was told that there was a rule change regarding backcourt violations. This person said that a player can dribble the ball across half court. Then turn and pass the ball to somebody that hasn't made it across, but as long as the person that hasn't made it across yet catches the ball in the air and lands across the half court line, they are OK. 

Originally, you had to have crossed half court before they could throw you the ball. 

i haven't see a change on this. That would be a back court violation. have to establish position in the front court in order to receive a pass from the front court.

On 7/10/2018 at 1:57 PM, Fourpointplay said:

Haven’t heard that. Personally I would like to see a consistency when a player doesn’t cleanly catch a pass, it hits the ground, and they pick it back up.  Sometimes when they next take an actual dribble, they get called for double dribble and sometimes nothing. I think this needs to be addressed more than the backcourt rule. 

YES. double dribble every time and is missed frequently

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 7/8/2018 at 1:41 AM, strichardson said:

Question. 

My son graduated in 2010 and they said that then,i would get furious when it wasnt called.Said as long as he is in the air no violation.

Its like a jump step-------ITS WALKING!Worse thing they EVER let be legal in my opinion!

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 12:41 AM, strichardson said:

Question. 

I am an official and you were told wrong.

If the ball is deflected by a defensive player then the offense can be the first to touch it in the backcourt.

If a player that has not made it across catches the ball in the air and then lands in the frontcourt, it is a backcourt violation. The player is considered to be still in the backcourt until his/her feet establish in the frontcourt.

Edited by ReignofPurple
  • Like 2

on the passing situation. if a player receives a pass and doesn't catch it clearly, it is considered a muff (fumble). even if he hits it to the floor, if he doesn't have control of the ball, it is not considered a dribble. so, he can actually start dribbling it or even pick it up and start a dribble. remember, you have to have control of the ball in order to dribble it. 

This exact call was called in tonight's game I was at.  It was clear the player didn't intend to dribble, or have control.  He was slapping at the ball from an errant pass by a teammate and then picked it up to gain control.  Then when he dribbled it was called a double dribble.  I agree, it could be called that.  Probably should be.  But it was clear there was no control or intent.  So, I guess it comes down to being basically a judgement for the official on whether has control or not. 

On 12/21/2018 at 11:33 PM, threeball said:

This exact call was called in tonight's game I was at.  It was clear the player didn't intend to dribble, or have control.  He was slapping at the ball from an errant pass by a teammate and then picked it up to gain control.  Then when he dribbled it was called a double dribble.  I agree, it could be called that.  Probably should be.  But it was clear there was no control or intent.  So, I guess it comes down to being basically a judgement for the official on whether has control or not. 

This exact play is covered by the NFHS Case Book and is not a double dribble. 

4.15.1 SITUATION B: A1's throw in pass is beyond A2. (a) A2 reaches out and slaps the ball toward A's basket; or (b) A2 muffs the pass. In both situations, A2 then gains control and dribbles to the basket and scores. RULING: No violation in either (a) or (b).