Too soon to start football !!

fb247

15 hours ago, Lost Old Dad said:

7 weeks?   HA, there are coaches in this state that have players doing 'something' all year long.  They may not be out in pads and hitting, but you can bet coaches like Rankin has them either doing 'agilities' and/or lifting/endurance all year long!

Most of these teams have one thing in common, either silver and or Gold balls in their trophy cases.

Rankin is a legend in his own mind as well as your's. Why did he leave Riverdale. I know,because he would win it all. Scared that his best would not be enough. He would never go and coach where he can not win it all. He is no better than the man at BA that he hated. And you are no better.

33 minutes ago, fb247 said:

Rankin is a legend in his own mind as well as your's. Why did he leave Riverdale. I know,because he would win it all. Scared that his best would not be enough. He would never go and coach where he can not win it all. He is no better than the man at BA that he hated. And you are no better.

wow. someone took a pee in your cheerios this morning?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fb247 said:

You don’t know LOD. He only commented on the subject you started a thread about. For you to take a personal shot at him is very rude and disrespectful. We should be able to talk about football in a respectful way on these boards even if we have differing opinions. And you may not think what you said to him is out of line but there is a reason multiple posters have said something about it. You need to chill and be respectful. 

The 'ONLY' reason I commented on Rankin is he was the one that I knew about for SURE as my son played and started for him all 4 years!

The players got two weeks off at Christmas 'IF' they won the Gold Ball earlier in the month of December.  If they didn't they were encouraged greatly to go lift at a gym that had sign in sheets that were given to Rankin.  Same went for the so called dead period.  If the players missed over 4 days being signed in they didn't start......PERIOD!

They lifted and ran EVERY day, including Saturdays and Sundays.  Plays were practiced in the gym without pads year round also.

There are other Coaches that follow this practice here in the state.

As to 'why' he left R'dale, the Superintendent that shielded him when it came to recruiting from other schools retired.  His plan was to go to Valdosta in Georgia to coach and draw his Tn. State retirement.  A man on here that went by 2precious took that off the table with relatives of his there.  He then tried for the Hoover, Ala.  job and at Brentwood Academy.  BOTH turned him down.  THEN he tried and got the Alcoa job.

As to 'how' I know so much about Rankin is that I commanded the Battalion in the Guard that had the Company/Unit in Carthage in it, and folks there that had known both him and the entire family talked VERY freely.  When Rankin found out he was not pleased, but could not deny any of it.

My MAIN gripe with Rankin is it is all about HIM and NOT his players.  Grades did not matter to him and he tolerated thieves on the team if they were first string starters.  This I know because I personally put two of them behind bars and was at their hearings in Juvenile Court.

Anything else you would like to know?

On 7/10/2018 at 7:45 PM, Lost Old Dad said:

The 'ONLY' reason I commented on Rankin is he was the one that I knew about for SURE as my son played and started for him all 4 years!

The players got two weeks off at Christmas 'IF' they won the Gold Ball earlier in the month of December.  If they didn't they were encouraged greatly to go lift at a gym that had sign in sheets that were given to Rankin.  Same went for the so called dead period.  If the players missed over 4 days being signed in they didn't start......PERIOD!

They lifted and ran EVERY day, including Saturdays and Sundays.  Plays were practiced in the gym without pads year round also.

There are other Coaches that follow this practice here in the state.

As to 'why' he left R'dale, the Superintendent that shielded him when it came to recruiting from other schools retired.  His plan was to go to Valdosta in Georgia to coach and draw his Tn. State retirement.  A man on here that went by 2precious took that off the table with relatives of his there.  He then tried for the Hoover, Ala.  job and at Brentwood Academy.  BOTH turned him down.  THEN he tried and got the Alcoa job.

As to 'how' I know so much about Rankin is that I commanded the Battalion in the Guard that had the Company/Unit in Carthage in it, and folks there that had known both him and the entire family talked VERY freely.  When Rankin found out he was not pleased, but could not deny any of it.

My MAIN gripe with Rankin is it is all about HIM and NOT his players.  Grades did not matter to him and he tolerated thieves on the team if they were first string starters.  This I know because I personally put two of them behind bars and was at their hearings in Juvenile Court.

Anything else you would like to know?

You are correct about the grades part. The Mr. Football winner he dismissed from last year's team is a prime example. I know his family well and they said they knew their son was not passing and somehow Rankin kept him eligible. When the kid tried to transfer, the parents were informed by Rankin that he would never play HS football again in TN. Thankfully he got a scholarship to keep playing at the next level, but I doubt Rankin did him any favors. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

You are correct about the grades part. The Mr. Football winner he dismissed from last year's team is a prime example. I know his family well and they said they knew their son was not passing and somehow Rankin kept him eligible. When the kid tried to transfer, the parents were informed by Rankin that he would never play HS football again in TN. Thankfully he got a scholarship to keep playing at the next level, but I doubt Rankin did him any favors. 

Well dang

16 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

I found out about the 'Grades' part at the end of the semester of my son's Freshman year.  He got a 'D' in one subject the final 6 weeks of his first semester.  I grounded him and told him NO practice until it was raised the next 6 weeks.  When the clone told Rankin, Rankin said no agilities, NO FOOTBALL and he was thrown off the team.  I said fine and I was transferring the clone to either Oakland or Eagleville.  Rankin told me HE would see that it would NOT happen.  After I got thru laughing I advised him to talk that over with the lawyer of the school board.  Rankin got told that yes because HE tossed the clone off the team that I could/would transfer my son where I wanted and that he COULD play football immediately.

When you work directly for the Judges of the county you learn a little about rules and laws and threats.  I had talked it over with a couple of Judges and the Boards Lawyer before I told Rankin I was moving the clone.   It also did not hurt that I was right and bird hunted with the school board's lawyer.

Threats is one of Rankin favorite tricks.  Most of the time though they are pure BS!

Son and I was asked by Coach Britton to please do not transfer.  Son also asked if he could stay to play for Coach Britton as he really respected him as I did also.  I told Coach Britton it was fine by me AFTER the clone brought the grade up and Rankin asked the clone to come back as he threw him off the team.  Rankin did, but held a grudge against the clone the rest of the time he played.  Rankin also got mad when I put my foot down and son the clone would play one way only.  I did this as there were too many players to have a bunch playing two ways constantly.  Rankin WILL and HAS played kids when they were REALLY hurt.  I am not talking about being sore or a little owie, but when they were really hurt and should not even be suited up.

On 7/13/2018 at 5:16 PM, Lost Old Dad said:

I found out about the 'Grades' part at the end of the semester of my son's Freshman year.  He got a 'D' in one subject the final 6 weeks of his first semester.  I grounded him and told him NO practice until it was raised the next 6 weeks.  When the clone told Rankin, Rankin said no agilities, NO FOOTBALL and he was thrown off the team.  I said fine and I was transferring the clone to either Oakland or Eagleville.  Rankin told me HE would see that it would NOT happen.  After I got thru laughing I advised him to talk that over with the lawyer of the school board.  Rankin got told that yes because HE tossed the clone off the team that I could/would transfer my son where I wanted and that he COULD play football immediately.

When you work directly for the Judges of the county you learn a little about rules and laws and threats.  I had talked it over with a couple of Judges and the Boards Lawyer before I told Rankin I was moving the clone.   It also did not hurt that I was right and bird hunted with the school board's lawyer.

Threats is one of Rankin favorite tricks.  Most of the time though they are pure BS!

Son and I was asked by Coach Britton to please do not transfer.  Son also asked if he could stay to play for Coach Britton as he really respected him as I did also.  I told Coach Britton it was fine by me AFTER the clone brought the grade up and Rankin asked the clone to come back as he threw him off the team.  Rankin did, but held a grudge against the clone the rest of the time he played.  Rankin also got mad when I put my foot down and son the clone would play one way only.  I did this as there were too many players to have a bunch playing two ways constantly.  Rankin WILL and HAS played kids when they were REALLY hurt.  I am not talking about being sore or a little owie, but when they were really hurt and should not even be suited up.

You should never involve yourself with how a coach runs his program! If you felt you didn't want your son to play both ways then go play another sport! Parents kill me getting involved with how coaches coach! Coaching is year around 365 and there's nothing worse than having a parent living dreams through their kid trying to tell you how to run your program when their not the one's out there putting the time in before and after school and missing time from their families!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, thefootballguru said:

You should never involve yourself with how a coach runs his program! If you felt you didn't want your son to play both ways then go play another sport! Parents kill me getting involved with how coaches coach! Coaching is year around 365 and there's nothing worse than having a parent living dreams through their kid trying to tell you how to run your program when their not the one's out there putting the time in before and after school and missing time from their families!

At the time R'dale had 6 full offensive lines and the defensive line was 4 deep.  There was absolutely NO reason for any kid to have played both ways.

Rankin did ask me one time what I thought I knew about football.  My reply was, "Does playing pro count?".  This was while he was bragging about rooming with Phil Fulmer at UT.  When he told me that I replied with what the folks at Carthage had told me, "Did he count that TWO weeks before Phil threw him out count as rooming with Fulmer?".  When he asked who told me that, I told him the 5 or so in my Unit at Carthage.  That's when he found out I commanded the Battalion that particular Company/Unit belonged to.  Its Commanding Officer a Captain reported to me as did Doctor Duke who was Al Gore Jr's personal physician.

If you can't tell, I have NO respect for Rankin.  He uses kids and does NOTHING for them he does not have to.  That is why college scouts avoid him and any team he coaches.  He may have a real good winning record, but most of the credit belongs to his assistants!  He does know how to pick them, but he will do NOTHING to help them get ahead also.  Him keeping Crawford from getting Blackman when it opened and Britton from getting Siegel when it opened is prime examples of that.