Too soon to start football !!

fb247

3 hours ago, thefootballguru said:

You should never involve yourself with how a coach runs his program! If you felt you didn't want your son to play both ways then go play another sport! Parents kill me getting involved with how coaches coach! Coaching is year around 365 and there's nothing worse than having a parent living dreams through their kid trying to tell you how to run your program when their not the one's out there putting the time in before and after school and missing time from their families!

I thought your kid playing both ways is a good thing.

Rankin did ask me one time what I thought I knew about football.  My reply was, "Does playing pro count?".  Not necessarily. And playing pro has nothing to do with any ability to coach. We have seen many ex pro players try to coach and be total flops.

14 hours ago, Lost Old Dad said:

At the time R'dale had 6 full offensive lines and the defensive line was 4 deep.  There was absolutely NO reason for any kid to have played both ways.

Rankin did ask me one time what I thought I knew about football.  My reply was, "Does playing pro count?".  This was while he was bragging about rooming with Phil Fulmer at UT.  When he told me that I replied with what the folks at Carthage had told me, "Did he count that TWO weeks before Phil threw him out count as rooming with Fulmer?".  When he asked who told me that, I told him the 5 or so in my Unit at Carthage.  That's when he found out I commanded the Battalion that particular Company/Unit belonged to.  Its Commanding Officer a Captain reported to me as did Doctor Duke who was Al Gore Jr's personal physician.

If you can't tell, I have NO respect for Rankin.  He uses kids and does NOTHING for them he does not have to.  That is why college scouts avoid him and any team he coaches.  He may have a real good winning record, but most of the credit belongs to his assistants!  He does know how to pick them, but he will do NOTHING to help them get ahead also.  Him keeping Crawford from getting Blackman when it opened and Britton from getting Siegel when it opened is prime examples of that.

You are a joke

4 hours ago, fb247 said:

You are a joke

Well opinions vary, and yes I agree with you about pro ball players and being coaches.  I know and admit I would never be a good Coach as I would be too hard on kids.  That is one reason I told Rankin NO when he asked if I wanted to help Coach.

Now exactly what is YOUR claim to fame about knowing how to Coach and what makes a good one vs one that is nothing more than a user?

Also my name is known on here.  Care to tell everybody what yours is?

The betting is now open to see how long he takes to tell me off again and the fact his actual name ever being known.  LOL

On 7/13/2018 at 5:16 PM, Lost Old Dad said:

I found out about the 'Grades' part at the end of the semester of my son's Freshman year.  He got a 'D' in one subject the final 6 weeks of his first semester.  I grounded him and told him NO practice until it was raised the next 6 weeks.  When the clone told Rankin, Rankin said no agilities, NO FOOTBALL and he was thrown off the team.  I said fine and I was transferring the clone to either Oakland or Eagleville.  Rankin told me HE would see that it would NOT happen.  After I got thru laughing I advised him to talk that over with the lawyer of the school board.  Rankin got told that yes because HE tossed the clone off the team that I could/would transfer my son where I wanted and that he COULD play football immediately.

When you work directly for the Judges of the county you learn a little about rules and laws and threats.  I had talked it over with a couple of Judges and the Boards Lawyer before I told Rankin I was moving the clone.   It also did not hurt that I was right and bird hunted with the school board's lawyer.

Threats is one of Rankin favorite tricks.  Most of the time though they are pure BS!

Son and I was asked by Coach Britton to please do not transfer.  Son also asked if he could stay to play for Coach Britton as he really respected him as I did also.  I told Coach Britton it was fine by me AFTER the clone brought the grade up and Rankin asked the clone to come back as he threw him off the team.  Rankin did, but held a grudge against the clone the rest of the time he played.  Rankin also got mad when I put my foot down and son the clone would play one way only.  I did this as there were too many players to have a bunch playing two ways constantly.  Rankin WILL and HAS played kids when they were REALLY hurt.  I am not talking about being sore or a little owie, but when they were really hurt and should not even be suited up.

Rankin made Riverdale a powerhouse and Rankin has taken Alcoa to a level of power that they didn't even achieve annually prior to his arrival.  

4 hours ago, fb247 said:

Rankin did ask me one time what I thought I knew about football.  My reply was, "Does playing pro count?".  Not necessarily. And playing pro has nothing to do with any ability to coach. We have seen many ex pro players try to coach and be total flops.

Lawrence Taylor was a great player.  I wouldn't want him coaching my kid.  The same holds true for Randy Moss and countless other examples.

4 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

Rankin made Riverdale a powerhouse and Rankin has taken Alcoa to a level of power that they didn't even achieve annually prior to his arrival.  

Alcoa won 3 Championships in 5 years (2000,2004,2005) and two straight Championships just before Rankin took over in 2006. Reid got the ball rolling.

15 hours ago, Lost Old Dad said:

Well opinions vary, and yes I agree with you about pro ball players and being coaches.  I know and admit I would never be a good Coach as I would be too hard on kids.  That is one reason I told Rankin NO when he asked if I wanted to help Coach.

Now exactly what is YOUR claim to fame about knowing how to Coach and what makes a good one vs one that is nothing more than a user?

Also my name is known on here.  Care to tell everybody what yours is?

The betting is now open to see how long he takes to tell me off again and the fact his actual name ever being known.  LOL

Being hard on kids? In all my years, I have found that kids do not care how hard you are on them if they really "know you care about them". That is the big difference to me. Kids know the coach who cares and those coaches that are all about themselves. As for having your name on here take it a step further and have your picture and name at the bottom of your posts. I do enjoy seeing some of the posters who post on here and enjoy you arguing with them. Hope all is well with you.

Edited by runtheball
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

Germans thought Hitler was a great leader too.  Winning doesn't take away Rankin being a dbag. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 6:29 AM, runtheball said:

Being hard on kids? In all my years, I have found that kids do not care how hard you are on them if they really "know you care about them". That is the big difference to me. Kids know the coach who cares and those coaches that are all about themselves. As for having your name on here take it a step further and have your picture and name at the bottom of your posts. I do enjoy seeing some of the posters who post on here and enjoy you arguing with them. Hope all is well with you.

The 'clone' had lots of Coach's that were hard on him, but he took it in stride because they did care.  Steve Britton was a prime example.  He made the clone do his blocking over and over until he graded out at least a 95-98% on every game no matter the position they played him at.  He played BOTH guard and tackle positions as well as tight end a bunch.  He was TOUGH, but every kid that played for him knew he cared.  Rankin screwing him out of getting Siegel when it opened was one more strike against Rankin in my eyes.  Or keeping Crawford from getting Blackman when it opened.  Rankin did NOT want to compete against either of these fine Coaches.  Crawford got even though when he went to Brentwood and BEAT Rankin at the Gold Ball game!

It is like how I am HARD on some on here.  I have NO problem with anyone disagreeing with me, but I will push for reasons from them to back their arguments.  Facts are king and opinions are just that.

Coach I am doing fair to good.   Depending on how my night went.  I am pushing now to stay awake and out of bed past my now normal bedtime of 7 pm.  LOL

BTW a friend of mine and I drove by the old Lebanon field the other day, and your guys were working out.  They looked hot, but good Coach.  Good luck this season.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:18 AM, fb247 said:

I love football,but starting 7 weeks before first game is a bit much. 4 weeks is plenty of time. 7 on 7 has become a sport itself.

You are correct with regards to high school football beginning much too soon.  Practice should have started this year on Monday August 6 and the first game should be Friday August 31.  That would give teams 4 weeks to prepare for the first regular season game.  Participation numbers are down across the country and while head injuries are being credited as a major reason another reason is the high school coaches continue to micro managing the time of their players.  I am the first to admit that kids need to participate in strength & conditioning along with running during the summer months.  However, this should be limited to 5 days per week and a total of 2 hours per day.  If you want to work on your 7 on 7 team that is part of the 2 hours per day.  It's up to the coach how they use that allotted time.  All the high school football coaches give lip service to the idea of being a multi sport athlete while in high school but I have yet to see a high school football coach attend a summer league baseball game or AAU basketball game unless they had a child playing.  Do they show up to watch and show support their football players?