Changes at UTC

wrestler04

21 hours ago, wrestler04 said:

Eslinger has announced his departure from UTC Wrestling.  Many people will probably feel different but I've felt like the program was going nowhere for the last few seasons and welcome the change.  Does anyone think Ruschell will end up gone too?  He was a solid hire I felt.

Ruschell was named Interim Head Coach I believe. I would bet he gets the head coaching job outright too. I always thought Eslinger was an awesome guy but I have to agree they just kind of felt stagnant and now they're not even the best team in the SoCon anymore. Not to mention we haven't had an all American in years. In 2007 UTC had 6 in the blood rounds at NCAAs. Last year we only sent 3. We've all got things we think will push the team in the right direction. Hopefully this is the right first step.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, cbg said:

Ethan Reeve was an assistant coach last season.  Any chance that the Mocs would hire ER as the head coach for the 2nd time?

Not that I don't think Reeve is qualified because I'm sure he is, but if the program is going to head in the direction that people want it to, you have to hire someone that is relevant and can get the best kids to UTC. Now I know UTC will never get a bluechip guy like a Spencer Lee per say but I truly believe that the right coach can attract really really good kids to come but you have to have someone that is a relevant name that the kids know. There is not one high school kid in the country that knows who Ethan Reeve is. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:53 PM, HCWCCoachV said:

Not that I don't think Reeve is qualified because I'm sure he is, but if the program is going to head in the direction that people want it to, you have to hire someone that is relevant and can get the best kids to UTC. Now I know UTC will never get a bluechip guy like a Spencer Lee per say but I truly believe that the right coach can attract really really good kids to come but you have to have someone that is a relevant name that the kids know. There is not one high school kid in the country that knows who Ethan Reeve is. 

I would agree that you must attract better talent to UTC but you also must develop the talent once it arrives on campus.  To many kids to mention have arrived on campus not to get any better in four years.  One major issue is that many of the better wrestlers from Tennessee have for whatever reason elected to attend school outside the State of Tennessee.  

• Upvote 1

On 7/21/2018 at 8:53 PM, HCWCCoachV said:

Hasn't UTC been down the road of hiring relevant coaches with name recognition? Brands 3 yrs. Seay 1 yr. Bono 3 yrs. Of the all americans in that time, Jon Soiredas may be the only recruit that wouldn't have otherwise gone to UTC. I am not discounting being able to recruit the best possible kids, but at UTC the most important thing would be to get the best kids out of the mid-south area and then to develop them. Reeve could most certainly do these things. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, poppychulo said:

Hasn't UTC been down the road of hiring relevant coaches with name recognition? Brands 3 yrs. Seay 1 yr. Bono 3 yrs. Of the all americans in that time, Jon Soiredas may be the only recruit that wouldn't have otherwise gone to UTC. I am not discounting being able to recruit the best possible kids, but at UTC the most important thing would be to get the best kids out of the mid-south area and then to develop them. Reeve could most certainly do these things. 

Agreed. Someone well connected, respected in Tennessee-Georgia-Kentucky areas, committed, hard working, WILL KEEP ACADEMICS UP LIKE THEY'VE BEEN DOING IN RECENT YEARS, will care for his wrestlers similar to Heath actually, but with highest preparations & expectations on the mat, and clearly proven with HC skill sets.

I'm for it!

Edited by Sommers

It was  2008 when UTC last had an All-American and that was Cody Cleveland which was coached by Chris Bono who is now the head coach at Wisconsin.  That's 10 years without an All-American!  UTC needs to hire the very best coach that they can afford and not worry about what the coach may do in 3 or 4 years.  The facts are if you pay the man he will stay if you don't pay them market value they will leave for a better paying position at another school.  You have been down the road of hiring a good man that  stayed and it got you zero All Americans.  The questions that I have and no one will or can answer is does the UTC wrestling have the full allotment of scholarships allowed by the NCAA and if not what do they have to offer?

Edited by cbg
  • Upvote 1