Lipscomb Academy

Fortnite

35 minutes ago, Booger said:

try bein part of a catholic school in a city without a diocese......and the one that claims u is over 100 miles away with their own School practically outside the front door......second fiddle is what they call it

Booger just sayin :angry:

Being second fiddle has nothing to do with this situation.  The problem is that several surveys were conducted at the time and all of them said the school should be built on 840 close to I65.  The Bishop at the time completely ignored what everyone was telling him and had JP2 built in Hendersonville.  Sumner County did not have and still does not have enough Catholics living in that area to support JP2.  FYI, it just happens that I was informed this morning that at JP2 80% of the Board of Directors are not Catholic and on 32% of the students that attend JP2 are Catholic.  Now I don't have any way to verify those numbers but if true that's your problem.    

39 minutes ago, cbg said:

Sumner County did not have and still does not have enough Catholics living in that area to support JP2.  

Hendersonville is where Our Lady of the Lake Catholic Church is located, the largest church with the most parishioners than any other church in the Diocese. I'm not quite sure where you are getting your information from, but it is completely false.

8 hours ago, Football101101 said:

Hendersonville is where Our Lady of the Lake Catholic Church is located, the largest church with the most parishioners than any other church in the Diocese. I'm not quite sure where you are getting your information from, but it is completely false.

So what are the numbers?  One parish cannot support a high school with 800 students.  If Our Lady of the Lake is such a great parish then what percentage of their grade school and high school age kids attend Catholic schools?  You may not want to know the numbers.

Edited by cbg

Let's get back to the discussion at hand - and that is Lipscomb Academy.  First of all, they built a multi million dollar facility to be relevant in Nashville, but don't have the coaching staff to go along with it.  They did add NFL and Titan favorite Marc Mariani to their staff, which is cool and all, but still have Tillman at the helm.  

To say that Lipscomb doesn't care about athletics is probably highly incorrect.  Greg Glenn is their "newish" headmaster.  He was a DOMINANT head basketball coach and athletic director at Westbury Christian School in Houston, TX.  His boys basketball team won something like 16 state championships in a row, and beat highly competitive teams from all over the US.  Mike Roller is still on staff, and he had a major winning streak at Lipscomb.  His son, Ryan Roller, is now coaching (after a disgraceful dismissal of their long time girl's bball coach).

If you choose to do things the way you've always done them, you won't continue to win.  I would think Tillman is really on the hot seat now - and if he's not, he should be.  No reason to build a multi million dollar facility if you aren't going to put the right pieces in to win.

• 2 weeks later...

1-14 in D2 AA since joining. Nice to see some skilled freshman and sophomores getting playing time for future years. Goodpasture and Kenwood appear to be most likely targets for a win this year but both games are on the road. As well, nice to see a passing attack but opponents are watching film and appears now to be to be doubling receivers as LA hasn’t cumulatively rushed for 100 yards in any games this year. QB needs to stay injury free as he appears to be their O. Love the Mustangs but hard to see any progress in D2. I guess this move just helps build character for all the student athletes

On 9/8/2018 at 5:00 PM, Fortnite said:

1-14 in D2 AA since joining. Nice to see some skilled freshman and sophomores getting playing time for future years. Goodpasture and Kenwood appear to be most likely targets for a win this year but both games are on the road. As well, nice to see a passing attack but opponents are watching film and appears now to be to be doubling receivers as LA hasn’t cumulatively rushed for 100 yards in any games this year. QB needs to stay injury free as he appears to be their O. Love the Mustangs but hard to see any progress in D2. I guess this move just helps build character for all the student athletes

Having 2 boys at JP2- and playing in the conference we do for all sports- has led to much character building :)

Seems like D2 AA & AAA is more about the haves and have nots. If you you’re  a “have” you’ve great great facilities AND great skill position coaching. That seems to be the attraction for the parents and kids looking for development, exposure, and at the dream of playing at the next level. Most, 98% of the kids, aren’t playing at that next level but are making that the focus on deciding on which private school HS education to “take”. Making the rounds in Nashville, JPII, Father Ryan, Ensworth, MBA, BA, CPA, BGA, and to an extent FRA meet the requirements mentioned. Goodpasture and Lipscomb do not and have a long way to go. Imagine a high end private school in Murfreesboro and the damage it would do for those big public schools in Rutherford County much like the damage already done in Davidson/Williamson counties with these private school athletic programs providing financial aide ie paying athletes to play on their campus. The “have nots” are building strong character. Let alone all those D2 A schools who’ve been doing that for years and trying to just just stay afloat financially. 

1 hour ago, Fortnite said:

Seems like D2 AA & AAA is more about the haves and have nots. If you you’re  a “have” you’ve great great facilities AND great skill position coaching. That seems to be the attraction for the parents and kids looking for development, exposure, and at the dream of playing at the next level. Most, 98% of the kids, aren’t playing at that next level but are making that the focus on deciding on which private school HS education to “take”. Making the rounds in Nashville, JPII, Father Ryan, Ensworth, MBA, BA, CPA, BGA, and to an extent FRA meet the requirements mentioned. Goodpasture and Lipscomb do not and have a long way to go. Imagine a high end private school in Murfreesboro and the damage it would do for those big public schools in Rutherford County much like the damage already done in Davidson/Williamson counties with these private school athletic programs providing financial aide ie paying athletes to play on their campus. The “have nots” are building strong character. Let alone all those D2 A schools who’ve been doing that for years and trying to just just stay afloat financially. 

I dislike reading or hearing a person who is obviously uninformed about CPA insinuate that they pay athletes...  This is our second year in D2. CPA had a very small financial aid budget previously in D1.  There has not been a big influx of athletes since we moved to D2.  Tuition, while expensive, has not greatly increased to pay the tuition of these new athletes that do not exist.  And I can also guarantee you that Coach Martin’s goal is building strong character young men and preparing them to be good husbands and fathers. 

Currently, CPA is not part of this arms race.  Why am I replying when there are so many skeptics out there?  I’m not sure...  I guess I hate to see the hard work and results of the coaches and staff explained away with the “have” / “have nots” rhetoric.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2018 at 9:41 PM, BreadTruck44 said:

I dislike reading or hearing a person who is obviously uninformed about CPA insinuate that they pay athletes...  This is our second year in D2. CPA had a very small financial aid budget previously in D1.  There has not been a big influx of athletes since we moved to D2.  Tuition, while expensive, has not greatly increased to pay the tuition of these new athletes that do not exist.  And I can also guarantee you that Coach Martin’s goal is building strong character young men and preparing them to be good husbands and fathers. 

Currently, CPA is not part of this arms race.  Why am I replying when there are so many skeptics out there?  I’m not sure...  I guess I hate to see the hard work and results of the coaches and staff explained away with the “have” / “have nots” rhetoric.

I think people automatically assume that being in Dll means every kid that can play ball gets in for free. Goodpasture turns away really good football players because the parents expect to get a free education. Some schools have more money and donor money to make it easier to get a kid in school. Kids that qualify for financial aid can get it if ithe money is available. I agree with everything you’re saying.

I believe the have’s/have not’s referenced facilities and coaching. CPA is a good example in both football and basketball as the “have’s”. Admin has done well identifying exceptional young coaches for both sports coupling it with excellent facilities. Whether or not an athlete is receiving direct benefits at some of these schools or indirect benefits in many unique forms, will continue to be gray areas the TSSAA needs to reign in.