Lipscomb Academy

Fortnite

On 9/12/2018 at 3:12 PM, Fortnite said:

I believe the have’s/have not’s referenced facilities and coaching. CPA is a good example in both football and basketball as the “have’s”. Admin has done well identifying exceptional young coaches for both sports coupling it with excellent facilities. Whether or not an athlete is receiving direct benefits at some of these schools or indirect benefits in many unique forms, will continue to be gray areas the TSSAA needs to reign in. 

CPA has built largely on kids who have been there forever too. They have developed and invested in their own. 

• Like 1

Nice pick Boog. You should get on with Herbie on Saturday mornings. Last year those pirates were up 3-0 at half and dusted the Stangs in the second half. Stangs had 6 starters out for that game as well. Should be interesting to see how they play after knocking a loop to GCS last week and having those Bucs coming up to the city. Onward Christian Soldiers -

2 hours ago, Fortnite said:

Nice pick Boog. You should get on with Herbie on Saturday mornings. Last year those pirates were up 3-0 at half and dusted the Stangs in the second half. Stangs had 6 starters out for that game as well. Should be interesting to see how they play after knocking a loop to GCS last week and having those Bucs coming up to the city. Onward Christian Soldiers -

very similar book when those stangs visited Vermont Ave in Chattaboogie last season

Booger just sayin ;-)

• 2 months later...
On 9/12/2018 at 7:00 AM, MrFootball1 said:

I think people automatically assume that being in Dll means every kid that can play ball gets in for free. Goodpasture turns away really good football players because the parents expect to get a free education. Some schools have more money and donor money to make it easier to get a kid in school. Kids that qualify for financial aid can get it if ithe money is available. I agree with everything you’re saying.

There is a lot of confusion regarding “financial aid”, “recruiting”, and “scholarships” in the D1 and D2 classifications.  To be clear, it has always been and still is a rule that D1 and D2 schools cannot “recruit” athletes.   Both classifications of schools cannot actively reach out  (recruit) to a player or their family at anytime.   Both classifications CAN actively engage with a student athlete once the student or family member initiates the contact with the school.   Secondly, both classifications can provide Financial Aid to their students, but ONLY D2 schools can offer financial aid and allow that particular student to play sports.  Thirdly, all financial aid applications must go thru an independent clearinghouse that determines the amount of financial aid each family qualifies for based on financial need, and they set the maximum dollars that can be offered as aid.  Fourth, the school then determines how much aid they are willing to provide up to the amount the clearinghouse approved.    In most cases, there is still a portion of the tuition that the student’s family is responsible to pay.  Assuming all of these athletes go to school for free is inaccurate   

I’m not saying that all schools play by the rules, I’m just saying that’s the playing field.   

• Like 1

On 9/10/2018 at 9:41 PM, BreadTruck44 said:

I dislike reading or hearing a person who is obviously uninformed about CPA insinuate that they pay athletes...  This is our second year in D2. CPA had a very small financial aid budget previously in D1.  There has not been a big influx of athletes since we moved to D2.  Tuition, while expensive, has not greatly increased to pay the tuition of these new athletes that do not exist.  And I can also guarantee you that Coach Martin’s goal is building strong character young men and preparing them to be good husbands and fathers. 

Currently, CPA is not part of this arms race.  Why am I replying when there are so many skeptics out there?  I’m not sure...  I guess I hate to see the hard work and results of the coaches and staff explained away with the “have” / “have nots” rhetoric.

I agree it’s tough to read uninformed comments but I have real issues with your comments above.   Not sure how long you’ve been around CPA but there was a time athletes magically showed up at their school while living hours away from the school during the D1 “no financial aid” days.  Your comment above that CPA had a very small financial aid budget previously in D1 is funny as it was and still is against TSSAA rules to offer ANY financial aid to a student who plays a sport in the D1 division.  In D1, if any student is receiving financial aid, that student is not eligible to play sports.  

I would agree that CPA hasn’t had an influx of athletes recently but there is no way they can claim they’re not part of or never have been part of the arms race as some of the questionable actions in the past have helped the overall athletic program to gain momentum   

I agree that Coach Martin is doing a great job working with his players and is building men of character.   Great coach!  

24 minutes ago, LetsGoToWork said:

I agree it’s tough to read uninformed comments but I have real issues with your comments above.   Not sure how long you’ve been around CPA but there was a time athletes magically showed up at their school while living hours away from the school during the D1 “no financial aid” days.  Your comment above that CPA had a very small financial aid budget previously in D1 is funny as it was and still is against TSSAA rules to offer ANY financial aid to a student who plays a sport in the D1 division.  In D1, if any student is receiving financial aid, that student is not eligible to play sports.  

I would agree that CPA hasn’t had an influx of athletes recently but there is no way they can claim they’re not part of or never have been part of the arms race as some of the questionable actions in the past have helped the overall athletic program to gain momentum   

I agree that Coach Martin is doing a great job working with his players and is building men of character.   Great coach!  

Getting caught up from September?

I assume you are talking about the basketball program in regards to the players showing up? I’ve heard the complaints, but I have no insight into what was going on there in the past whether good or bad. I follow football and baseball closely since Coach Martin and Nesbitt arrived, although I do know Coach Pack and some assistants he had. 

The financial aid budget while in D1 shouldn’t be funny. There were some students that received aid but did not play in games per the D1 rules. I am well aware of the rules. I guess I thought that would be clear to the reader. 

Does that make sense?

43 minutes ago, BreadTruck44 said:

Getting caught up from September?

I assume you are talking about the basketball program in regards to the players showing up? I’ve heard the complaints, but I have no insight into what was going on there in the past whether good or bad. I follow football and baseball closely since Coach Martin and Nesbitt arrived, although I do know Coach Pack and some assistants he had. 

The financial aid budget while in D1 shouldn’t be funny. There were some students that received aid but did not play in games per the D1 rules. I am well aware of the rules. I guess I thought that would be clear to the reader. 

Does that make sense?

Not sure what was discussed in Sept as I just joined the discussion.  Yes Mostly b-ball, but a few of those guys who came to play b-ball played football too. The only reason I commented on your financial aid budget comment during D1 days is that it wasn’t pertinent to the discussion unless there was some connection to student athletes.  Maybe I missed something in translation.   I just don’t buy that CPA isn’t in the arms race.  

I do think there is an argument that can be made that football program had nothing to do with the questionable maneuvers but overall it was supported by the athletic department and leadership.  I just think that continues to speaks volumes.  

Good luck Friday night. 

32 minutes ago, LetsGoToWork said:

Not sure what was discussed in Sept as I just joined the discussion.  Yes Mostly b-ball, but a few of those guys who came to play b-ball played football too. The only reason I commented on your financial aid budget comment during D1 days is that it wasn’t pertinent to the discussion unless there was some connection to student athletes.  Maybe I missed something in translation.   I just don’t buy that CPA isn’t in the arms race.  

I do think there is an argument that can be made that football program had nothing to do with the questionable maneuvers but overall it was supported by the athletic department and leadership.  I just think that continues to speaks volumes.  

Good luck Friday night. 

Thank you.

I really don’t care enough to try to clarify to you the point I was making. I’m not sure why I was even posting on a “Lipscomb” thread.

Welcome to CoachT.

• 2 weeks later...