Incoming Freshman and Transfers

CHSBLUE

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 7:17 AM, durdon said:

Historically, this would be true but not with these  freshman that are coming up this year.  Theses are not kids that been just wrestling and winning here in TNAAU league but kids that have been traveling and winning out on the National Middle School circuit which is now crazy hard and competitive.  These kids are all ready for TSSAA and everyone of them will be on the podium And most will make the finals.  Last year we had a handful of TN kids who had been on the national circuit and everyone made podium and most won it.   This is our first big group and they are going to shake up the state tournament this year. 

Bond, Mcafee and Roller will all be on the podium with Darylrimple at 106 in private school and this will make the 106 weight in private school the most competitive it has been in years for any division. 

Ivey will meet Mcdaniel in big school state finals at 106 and that will be a match to watch as it will be 2 of the best 106’s that we have ever had in big school state finals. 

Uhrochuk’s little brother should win 106 small school easy even though he will be way undersized. 

I left Easton off my list by mistake but if he makes 113 he will meet Bates in the state private school finals and that will be a match to watch. 

If Shires makes 113 for big school he will win it. If not he will make the podium at 120. 

Mike said both of the Payne’s are not wrestling this year but both would be on the podium in private school if they were. 

All 3 of Pigeon Forges incoming freshman, josh Parton(who I left off by mistake) Foreman and Dalon will most likely win state in small school this year and both Forman and Dalon are at middleweights but they are that good. 

The younger Bowers will make the podium at 26. 

I left Dendy off my list too which was a major oversight but Garrison will be in the mix at 38 in Private School.  He has a chance to win it as a freshman.  

The other two kids to watch are Ashton Davis and David Harper.  They are the 2 most accomplished freshman big men probably ever in TN history but their weights are extremely difficult for freshman.  If Davis cracks the Cleveland lineup he will make the podium and Harper has a shot by the end of the year to make the finals. 

Several talented kids here but I think Durdon is chugging the Kool Aid.  There have been many talented wrestlers come out of middle school and as CBG stated, circumstances dictated less success.  Some of these young men will be very successful but I think you are setting some up for premature failure with unrealistic expectations and hype.  Time will tell.  Please save this post and revisit in February.  

• Like 1

106 private and 106 large school should be very strong this year great crop of little dudes coming up. If i had to give my top 5 kids coming up who i think can really make an impact and compete for a state title i would go with Shires, Ivy, Eason, Bowers ,and Dalon. Shires is definitely going to be a kid I watch this year tough as nails strong as heck for his size and a work ethic that you don't see from kids that age. Anyone know if there is a chance he might go 106? Great crop of youngs should make for an exciting year down there in Tennessee  

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:15 PM, FargoStrut said:

Arent Cannedy and Mason going to Greeneville and why no love for these 2 kids? Is it bc they are both relatively new to the TNAAU/ TSSAA scene??

They are both extremely talented and among the best without question. I wasn't sure where they were going to school either or if they were Tennessee residents. They will be on the podium without a doubt in February 

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:44 AM, ObserverW said:

Several talented kids here but I think Durdon is chugging the Kool Aid.  There have been many talented wrestlers come out of middle school and as CBG stated, circumstances dictated less success.  Some of these young men will be very successful but I think you are setting some up for premature failure with unrealistic expectations and hype.  Time will tell.  Please save this post and revisit in February.  

Ive been involved with youth wrestling for a long time and I find the opposite to be true. There are always late bloomers or new comers who make an impact on the high school scene but its been my experience that the extremely talented and accomplished middle school kids continue to do so. These kids and parents have vested a lot of time over the years and the ones that have risen to he top have done so because they love the sport and that usually doesn't change when they get to high school. To be honest the kids that have traveled the middle school national circuit have wrestled tougher competition than they will in their Tssaa state tournament unless they come in at one of the middle weights or higher. The Aau state tournament  has upwards of 1000 kids , 14 mats , no public / private split or classification. Its 140+ teams battling it out for 1 single champion. These kids aren't going to feel any undue pressure in my opinion as they are used to it.  You can go back and look at the Aau middle school Team Tennessee from years past and those same kids are the ones winning multiple titles in high school for the most part   

1 hour ago, YOUTHCOACH16 said:

Ive been involved with youth wrestling for a long time and I find the opposite to be true. There are always late bloomers or new comers who make an impact on the high school scene but its been my experience that the extremely talented and accomplished middle school kids continue to do so. These kids and parents have vested a lot of time over the years and the ones that have risen to he top have done so because they love the sport and that usually doesn't change when they get to high school. To be honest the kids that have traveled the middle school national circuit have wrestled tougher competition than they will in their Tssaa state tournament unless they come in at one of the middle weights or higher. The Aau state tournament  has upwards of 1000 kids , 14 mats , no public / private split or classification. Its 140+ teams battling it out for 1 single champion. These kids aren't going to feel any undue pressure in my opinion as they are used to it.  You can go back and look at the Aau middle school Team Tennessee from years past and those same kids are the ones winning multiple titles in high school for the most part   

You are missing my point.  It is not about the wrestler or their talent level, its about the team, coach, and room they are stepping into.  In youth they have the ability to travel and choose all of the above, once you enter a high school room, those options are severely limited for the most part.  For example, I agree that Sammy is top level talent but, with all due respect, Rossview has not proven to me yet that they can foster a freshman State Champion.  Especially if he is at 120 or higher.  There are so many factors that go into a championship that are out of ones control in the high school room.  The quality of your practice partner is one of those variables that an individual cannot control.  Maybe Shires will have a room full of studs to push him to the limit each day but if so, I haven't seen them around Rossview.  Another example is Braden Ivey.  I have only watched this kid a few times, but he is very good.  Unfortunately he is stepping into a room (assuming he is at Jefferson Co?) that absolutely does not have the talent to push him to be better.  He and McDaniel were very close a few years ago, my money now says McDaniel techs him.  And McDaniel is only going to grow further and faster while kids like Ivy, at no fault of their own, will stagnate in a non-competitive room.  Rooms like those at Beech where Noah had Palmer and Bates had Noah and they all had each other to push them to be better each day, those are the programs that can foster a freshman state champ.  That being said, if it can be done, 106 and 113 are the best opportunities.  

Edited by ObserverW
  • Like 2

On 8/21/2018 at 11:44 AM, ObserverW said:

No koolaid here and we don’t have to wait till the end of the season either.  Let’s just look at last year...

Trey Bates – 1st 106 Big school
Trae McDaniel – 2nd 106 Big School
Hunter Borders – 1st 113 Big School
Daniel Uhorchuk – 1st  106 Small School
Trevor Lewis – 2nd 113 small school 
Riley Bennett – 2nd 126 small school
Wyatt McLemore – 2nd  132 small school
Joseph Skidmore – 2nd 152 Small School 
Christian Morris – 1st 106 Private 
Dyane Dalrymple – 2nd 106 Private 
Emory Taylor – 1st 113 Private 
Cody Chittum – 120 Private
Alex Whitworth – 1st 126 Private
Evan Anthony – 2nd 126 Private 
Cooper Flynn -1st 106 in Maryland

So 14 rising HS freshman and 8th graders made the finals. All of these kids have one thing in common, they all competed on travel middle school teams on the national circuit.  Most were on Hydrasports or Minions. Borders, Bennett and Lewis only competed a few times but the rest extensively. Most if not all of these kids that didn’t compete in HS as 8th graders competed at VAC the year before. And all of them won a Middle School state title. These kids dominated 126 and below.  And, Mclemore and Skidmore placed at man weights. 

Last year was the first group of Freshman entering TN that had extensive national travel experience and that was only for 2 years at most.   This years group of freshman have 3 years of Competing on the national circuit. This years group of Freshman is twice as loaded as last years group and they have a ton more experience.  Some of the kids entering this year are some of the best freshman to ever come into TSSAA.  No MS kids in TN history have accomplished what Ivey, Bond, Foreman, Dendy, Davis and Harper have.  David Harper is by far the single best freshman big man to ever to come into TSSAA.  There is a reason why Blair wanted him so bad. He has a legit shot to make the finals at 195.

Edited by durdon