Incoming Freshman and Transfers

CHSBLUE

2 hours ago, durdon said:

No koolaid here and we don’t have to wait till the end of the season either.  Let’s just look at last year...

Trey Bates – 1st 106 Big school
Trae McDaniel – 2nd 106 Big School
Hunter Borders – 1st 113 Big School
Daniel Uhorchuk – 1st  106 Small School
Trevor Lewis – 2nd 113 small school 
Riley Bennett – 2nd 126 small school
Wyatt McLemore – 2nd  132 small school
Joseph Skidmore – 2nd 152 Small School 
Christian Morris – 1st 106 Private 
Dyane Dalrymple – 2nd 106 Private 
Emory Taylor – 1st 113 Private 
Cody Chittum – 120 Private
Alex Whitworth – 1st 126 Private
Evan Anthony – 2nd 126 Private 
Cooper Flynn -1st 106 in Maryland

So 14 rising HS freshman and 8th graders made the finals. 

From last year's group, 5 of the 14 were runner up in small school and like it or not, being a state finalist in Tennessee small school does not make you a national contender.  7 others placed in their respective divisions at 106 & 113.  Many of the upcoming freshmen you spoke about in your original post will be 126 and above.  This makes a huge difference.  When you enter the middle and upper weights, you begin wrestling young men and are no longer dealing with pre-pubescent highly technical wrestlers.  Some of these freshmen with high level talent WILL lose to less talented wrestlers due to strength, maturity, and psychological factors.  And I stand by my statement that some will stagnate due to the level of competition in their high school room.  

On 8/23/2018 at 1:54 PM, ObserverW said:

You are missing my point.  It is not about the wrestler or their talent level, its about the team, coach, and room they are stepping into.  In youth they have the ability to travel and choose all of the above, once you enter a high school room, those options are severely limited for the most part.  For example, I agree that Sammy is top level talent but, with all due respect, Rossview has not proven to me yet that they can foster a freshman State Champion.  Especially if he is at 120 or higher.  There are so many factors that go into a championship that are out of ones control in the high school room.  The quality of your practice partner is one of those variables that an individual cannot control.  Maybe Shires will have a room full of studs to push him to the limit each day but if so, I haven't seen them around Rossview.  Another example is Braden Ivey.  I have only watched this kid a few times, but he is very good.  Unfortunately he is stepping into a room (assuming he is at Jefferson Co?) that absolutely does not have the talent to push him to be better.  He and McDaniel were very close a few years ago, my money now says McDaniel techs him.  And McDaniel is only going to grow further and faster while kids like Ivy, at no fault of their own, will stagnate in a non-competitive room.  Rooms like those at Beech where Noah had Palmer and Bates had Noah and they all had each other to push them to be better each day, those are the programs that can foster a freshman state champ.  That being said, if it can be done, 106 and 113 are the best opportunities.  

No way in blue hades is McDaniel tech falling Ivy. I'm not a gambler, but I'd be tempted put up a full month's salary that Ivy wins 106 this year. 

1 hour ago, ObserverW said:

From last year's group, 5 of the 14 were runner up in small school and like it or not, being a state finalist in Tennessee small school does not make you a national contender.  7 others placed in their respective divisions at 106 & 113.  Many of the upcoming freshmen you spoke about in your original post will be 126 and above.  This makes a huge difference.  When you enter the middle and upper weights, you begin wrestling young men and are no longer dealing with pre-pubescent highly technical wrestlers.  Some of these freshmen with high level talent WILL lose to less talented wrestlers due to strength, maturity, and psychological factors.  And I stand by my statement that some will stagnate due to the level of competition in their high school room.  

Many of the upcoming Freshmen could have been Freshmen last year. The difference is not as big as you think. I agree with Durdon on almost every point he's made.

3 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

No way in blue hades is McDaniel tech falling Ivy. I'm not a gambler, but I'd be tempted put up a full month's salary that Ivy wins 106 this year. 

Ha!!!  I would take that bet all day long.  We are talking about the same Fargo All American McDaniel, correct?  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ObserverW said:

Ha!!!  I would take that bet all day long.  We are talking about the same Fargo All American McDaniel, correct?  

If McDaniel didn't tech Kodiak Cannedy 2 seasons ago, he ain't teching Braden Ivy this season. I know how good McDaniel is, I coached against him as a middle schooler and it appears you're sleeping heavily on Ivy. Ivy placed 2nd last year at Super 32 and outside of Ashton Davis he was the best P4P middle school wrestler last year in TN.

Don't think because he's in Morristown that he's lacking quality partners or coaches either. Ivy travels as much or more than most kids in the state and for anyone to think any kid in TN is going to tech fall him doesn't have a clue. 

Edited by JSamson7

32 minutes ago, JSamson7 said:

If McDaniel didn't tech Kodiak Cannedy 2 seasons ago, he ain't teching Braden Ivy this season. I know how good McDaniel is, I coached against him as a middle schooler and it appears you're sleeping heavily on Ivy. Ivy placed 2nd last year at Super 32 and outside of Ashton Davis he was the best P4P middle school wrestler last year in TN.

Don't think because he's in Morristown that he's lacking quality partners or coaches either. Ivy travels as much or more than most kids in the state and for anyone to think any kid in TN is going to tech fall him doesn't have a clue. 

Key word, "MIDDLE SCHOOL" and you make my point even stronger.  Two years ago or even last year McDaniel would not tech Ivy, but McDaniel has one high school season under his belt wrestling some very good wrestlers.  Yes, Ivy travels and sees good competition but he is still wrestling on the Middle School level.  McDaniel just took 2 AA from Fargo against High School wrestlers.  When Ivy places at Super 32 in high school I will be impressed.  And this is not a dig at Ivy, I believe he is a great wrestler, my point is that placing in Super 32 Middle School is not comparable to the HS tournament.  You cannot extrapolate that a S32 MS placer will be a HS placer.  I think Ivy will do well, again I believe he is a great wrestler, just not on the level of McDaniel.  

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news here, but being in Morristown is a handicap to a wrestler like Ivy.  He absolutely does not have the same quality partners that some in other areas do.  Morristown might get there but when was the last time they had a state medalist?  And I get that he has traveled all over as a middle school and youth wrestler, but once the high school season starts, he will only wrestle his school's schedule.  I have no idea what type of schedule Morristown (I'm not even sure which Morristown school he is attending) wrestles but I hope to see them at some big tournaments so we can all see how this shakes out.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ObserverW said:

Key word, "MIDDLE SCHOOL" and you make my point even stronger.  Two years ago or even last year McDaniel would not tech Ivy, but McDaniel has one high school season under his belt wrestling some very good wrestlers.  Yes, Ivy travels and sees good competition but he is still wrestling on the Middle School level.  McDaniel just took 2 AA from Fargo against High School wrestlers.  When Ivy places at Super 32 in high school I will be impressed.  And this is not a dig at Ivy, I believe he is a great wrestler, my point is that placing in Super 32 Middle School is not comparable to the HS tournament.  You cannot extrapolate that a S32 MS placer will be a HS placer.  I think Ivy will do well, again I believe he is a great wrestler, just not on the level of McDaniel.  

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news here, but being in Morristown is a handicap to a wrestler like Ivy.  He absolutely does not have the same quality partners that some in other areas do.  Morristown might get there but when was the last time they had a state medalist?  And I get that he has traveled all over as a middle school and youth wrestler, but once the high school season starts, he will only wrestle his school's schedule.  I have no idea what type of schedule Morristown (I'm not even sure which Morristown school he is attending) wrestles but I hope to see them at some big tournaments so we can all see how this shakes out.  

Ivy has more than you think working for him.

Edited by JSamson7

• 4 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:07 PM, JSamson7 said:

Trae McDaniel (Cleveland) over Brayden Ivy (Morristown-Hamblen West) (Fall 3:47

Edited by Nainten
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

Check the score of that match before Ivy got caught.... 

Ivey got caught? It was 2-2 going into the 2nd. Trae reversed him so it was 7-2 before he pinned him in the 2nd. Did u say you’d bet you’re salary that Ivey wins 106? Lol let me screen shot that post haha

Edited by fooseball95
  • Like 1