Tennessee high school football preseason all-state team for 2018

kwc

Tennessee high school football preseason all-state team for 2018

Tom Kreager, USA TODAY Network - TennesseePublished 12:00 p.m. CT Aug. 16, 2018 | Updated 5:06 p.m. CT Aug. 16, 2018

Whitehaven's Bryson Eason (middle) along with his teammates
Whitehaven's Bryson Eason
State_Football_Division-II-AA_22

Lausanne's Eric Gray

The 2018 high school football season kicks off this week in Tennessee. 

Here is the USA Today Network - Tennessee's preseason all-state team as compiled by high school sports editor Tom Kreager.\

OFFENSE

Greeneville's Cade Ballard (2) and Garrin Shuffler

Greeneville's Cade Ballard (2) and Garrin Shuffler (5) celebrate the team's 54-13 loss in the Class 4A state championship game at Tucker Stadium in Cookeville, Tenn., Friday, Dec. 1, 2017. (Photo: Andrew Nelles / The Tennessean)

Cade Ballard

Greeneville, Sr.

Quarterback

Why chosen: The Army commitment and Class 4A Mr. Football had 3,794 yards, including 3,128 passing yards with 38 touchdowns and just five interceptions. He also ran for 21 TDs.

Eric Gray

Lausanne, Sr.

Running back

Why chosen: The Michigan commitment won his second straight Mr. Football award and ran for 3,151 yards with 49 touchdowns. He was the Tennessee Gatorade player of the year.

RB DaÕJoun Hewitt, Davidson Academy

RB Da'Joun Hewitt, Davidson Academy (Photo: Wade Payne / The Tennessean)

Da’Joun Hewitt

Davidson Academy, Sr.

Running back

Why chosen: The Purdue commitment and Division II-A Mr. Football finalist rushed for 2,352 yards with 41 touchdowns in 2017.

WR Trey Knox, Blackman

WR Trey Knox, Blackman (Photo: Helen Comer / DNJ)

Trey Knox

Blackman, Sr.

Wide receiver

Why chosen: The four-star prospect had 52 catches for 667 yards a year ago and has 1,377 receiving yards for his career.

September 22, 2017 - East High School's Keveon Mullins

September 22, 2017 - East High School's Keveon Mullins runs with the ball during Friday night's game at Christian Brothers High School.  (Photo: Brad Vest/The Commercial Appeal)

Keveon Mullins

Whitehaven, Sr.

Wide receiver

Why chosen: The South Carolina commitment had 52 catches for 1,011 yards with eight touchdowns a year ago at Memphis East before transferring to Whitehaven.

WR Lance Wilhoite, Franklin Road Academy

WR Lance Wilhoite, Franklin Road Academy (Photo: Mike Clark)

Lance Wilhoite

Franklin Road Academy, Sr.

Wide receiver

Why chosen: The Oregon commitment had 69 catches for 1,089 yards with 13 touchdowns in 2017.

Marcus Henderson

Memphis University School, Jr.

Offensive line

Why chosen: Henderson is the No. 17 offensive tackle for the Class of 2020. He ranks as the No. 4 overall prospect in Tennessee according to the 247Sports Composite.

MBA's Jackson Lampley poses for a portrait in Nashville,

MBA's Jackson Lampley poses for a portrait in Nashville, Tenn., Tuesday, June 19, 2018. (Photo: Andrew Nelles / The Tennessean)

Jackson Lampley

Montgomery Bell Academy, Sr.

Offensive line

Why chosen: The Tennessee commitment helped lead a Big Red offense that averaged nearly 300 yards per game en route to last year’s Division II-AAA runner-up finish.

lK38caqO_400x400.jpg

Melvin McBride

Whitehaven, Sr.

Offensive line

Why chosen: McBride helped anchor a Whitehaven offense that piled up 3,847 yards and reached the Class 6A semifinals.

TN-Briarcrest-Toned-0012

Briarcrest's Omari Thomas is a highly-regarded offensive line prospect in the class of 2020. (Photo: Brad Vest/The Commercial Appeal)

Omari Thomas

Briarcrest Christian, Jr.

Offensive Line

Why chosen: Thomas is the No. 20 prospect in the country at offensive tackle for 2020 and the state’s No. 5 overall prospect according to the

_Knoxville Catholic's Bryn Tucker (55) and Alcoa's Andrew Coulter (55) run drills before the start of their football scrimmage on Tuesday, July 31, 2018.

Knoxville Catholic's Bryn Tucker (55) and Alcoa's Andrew Coulter (55) run drills before the start of their football scrimmage on Tuesday, July 31, 2018. (Photo: Saul Young/News Sentinel, )

Bryn Tucker

Knoxville Catholic, Jr.

Offensive line

Why chosen: Tucker was a key blocker for Catholic’s high-powered offense that averaged 43 points a game a year ago and is the top prospect in Tennessee for 2020.

Notre Dame's Cameron Wynn (3) battles Lausanne's Richard

Notre Dame's Cameron Wynn (3) battles Lausanne's Richard Kinley (3) during the first half of the Division II-AA state championship game at Tucker Stadium in Cookeville, Tenn., Saturday, Dec. 2, 2017. (Photo: Caitie McMekin / News Sentinel)

Cameron Wynn

Notre Dame, Sr.

Athlete

Why chosen: Wynn had over 2,000 all-purpose yards a year ago as a running back, wide receiver and kick returner. He also is a standout in the defensive backfield.

P Garrett Taylor, Oakland

P Garrett Taylor, Oakland (Photo: Helen Comer / DNJ)

Garrett Taylor

Oakland, Sr.

Kicker

Why chosen: Taylor has a big leg and will handle the kicking and punting duties for the Patriots. Forty-seven of his 56 kickoffs were touchbacks in 2017.

DEFENSE

DL Christian Cantrell, Oakland

DL Christian Cantrell, Oakland (Photo: Helen Comer / DNJ)

Christian Cantrell

Oakland, Sr.

Defensive line

Why chosen: Cantrell recorded 101 tackles, including 16.5 for loss, and had seven sacks in 2017.

Memphis Central lineman Trevis Hopper committed to

Memphis Central lineman Trevis Hopper committed to Memphis in April 2018. (Photo: George Walker IV/The Tennessean)

Trevis Hopper

Memphis Central, Sr.

Defensive line

Why chosen: The Memphis commitment and 2016 Class 5A Mr. Football recorded 58 tackles, including 18 for loss in 2017. He also had nine sacks.

Christian Brothers High School 4-star lineman Bill

Christian Brothers High School 4-star lineman Bill Norton (middle) makes a block during the first day of fall camp.  (Photo: Mark Weber/The Commercial Appeal)

Bill Norton

Christian Brothers, Sr.

Defensive line

Why chosen: The Georgia commitment was the Division II-AAA Mr. Football. He recorded 60 tackles, including 21 for loss, and had 16 sacks with two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries.

Tymon Mitchell (73) runs a drill during Franklin Road

FRA's Tymon Mitchell has committed to Georgia (Photo: Mike Clark / For The Tennessean)

Tymon Mitchell

Franklin Road Academy, Sr.

Defensive line

Why chosen: The three-star prospect had 74 tackles including 11 for loss, and tallied three sacks.

Cane Ridge's Quentin Barnes (2) advances past Whitehaven's

Cane Ridge's Quentin Barnes (2) advances past Whitehaven's Bryson Eason (20) during the first half of the Class 6A semifinal at Cane Ridge High School in Antioch, Tenn., Friday, Nov. 24, 2017. (Photo: Andrew Nelles / The Tennessean)

Bryson Eason

Whitehaven, Jr.

Linebacker

Why chosen: Eason recorded 111 tackles, including 20 for loss, and had five sacks. He also intercepted three passes.

Drew Francis, West High School

Drew Francis, West High School (Photo: Caitie McMekin/News Sentinel)

Drew Francis

Knoxville West, Jr.

Linebacker

Why chosen: Francis had 91 tackles, including 29 for loss, and had 11 sacks. He also recovered two fumbles with two interceptions.

LB Kane Patterson, CPA

LB Kane Patterson, CPA (Photo: Michael Murphy / The Tennessean)

Kane Patterson

Christ Presbyterian Academy, Sr.

Linebacker

Why chosen: The Ohio State commitment had 64 tackles with a pair of sacks in 2017.

Notre Dame's Jeffrey Watkins (34) is tackled for a

Notre Dame's Jeffrey Watkins (34) is tackled for a first-down by Lausanne's Erek Campbell (27) during the first half of the Division II-AA state championship game at Tucker Stadium in Cookeville, Tenn., Saturday, Dec. 2, 2017. (Photo: Caitie McMekin / News Sentinel)

Erek Campbell

Lausanne, Sr.

Defensive back

Why chosen: Campbell had 79 tackles with five interceptions and recorded two sacks in 2017.

MUS senior Maurice Hampton is committed to play football

MUS senior Maurice Hampton is committed to play football and baseball for LSU. (Photo: The Commercial Appeal file photo)

Maurice Hampton

Memphis University School, Sr.

Defensive back

Why chosen: The LSU commitment has seven career interceptions along with 96 catches for 1,293 yards.

Farragut's Wyatt Lucas is grabbed by Hardin Valley's

Farragut's Wyatt Lucas is grabbed by Hardin Valley's Noah Moro on Thursday, October 26, 2017.  (Photo: SAUL YOUNG/NEWS SENTINEL)

Wyatt Lucas

Farragut, Sr.

Defensive back

Why chosen: Lucas forced seven turnovers and picked off six passes. He also had 36 tackles.

Oakland’s Woodi Washington (5) runs the ball as Cookeville’s

Oakland’s Woodi Washington (5) runs the ball as Cookeville’s Ben Loftis (32) moves in for the tackle during the third round of play-off games against Cookeville on Friday, Nov. 17, 2017, at Oakland. (Photo: HELEN COMER/DNJ)

Woodi Washington

Oakland, Sr.

Defensive back

Why chosen: The Oklahoma commitment had 41 tackles and five interceptions a year ago.

Briarcrest kicker Noah Grant is following in his dad's

Briarcrest kicker Noah Grant is following in his dad's footsteps while making a name for himself as well. (Photo: Submitted photo)

Noah Grant

Briarcrest, Christian, Sr.

Punter

Why chosen: Grant is a five-star punter and No. 24 in the country according to Kohl’s professional camps

Edited by kwc