Sequoyah vs. McMinn Central

logcabinman

Really good defensive showing for the boys in blue against their cross creek rivals last Friday.  Score was not a good indicator of how the game went down.  Cherokees had a pick 6 late in the game, plus they hung an extra 8 on our freshman/jv with some of their starters, plus starting QB at the end.  Take away those, and 24 is not to bad considering we kept giving a short field playing a 6a school.  Need to find some offensive success to go along with a defensive effort like Friday.  

What are some thoughts?

14 minutes ago, charger05 said:

If Central can stop the turnovers, it will be close. Watched Sequoyah on Friday and felt like Tellico had a mental block going on against the Chiefs.

Sequoyah is full of try hard this season. Hard to coach that. They don't have any athletes that really stand out. But have a desire not to be outdone. I say Sequoyah by 4 tds. At a guess 42-14

• Like 1

1 hour ago, haweanbula said:

I think top to bottom Sequoyah have more play makers. It was a close game last year, but I feel Sequoyah is much improved and will play more consistently. 

With that being said, it is interesting because MCentral is much improved.  10-0 at half against a 6a foe.  If not for handing the ball back to Cherokees on short field, score could have easily been 0-0 at half.  Ran out of gas midway through third quarter.  I look for a good game, just as last year.

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 12:08 PM, logcabinman said:

With that being said, it is interesting because MCentral is much improved.  10-0 at half against a 6a foe.  If not for handing the ball back to Cherokees on short field, score could have easily been 0-0 at half.  Ran out of gas midway through third quarter.  I look for a good game, just as last year.

I like your optimism but can't understand why you think Central is much improved.  A 39-0 loss to a 6A team loaded with freshmen and sophomores (that probably won't make it to the playoffs) in a pouring rain doesn't show me much on Central's part. McMinn had over 400 yards of offense, 340 yards of that rushing, running a new offense. Central knew McMinn was going to run the ball but couldn't stop them. I thought your son played a very good first half defensively. Central has no depth and their offense looked worse than it was last year.
Tellico beat Central 3 times, in a spring scrimmage, in a scrimmage a couple weeks ago, and again in the jamboree. Tellico lost by a lot to Sequoyah, so I'd have to go with Sequoyah by 2-3 touchdowns.

13 hours ago, hohmaster said:

I like your optimism but can't understand why you think Central is much improved.  A 39-0 loss to a 6A team loaded with freshmen and sophomores (that probably won't make it to the playoffs) in a pouring rain doesn't show me much on Central's part. McMinn had over 400 yards of offense, 340 yards of that rushing, running a new offense. Central knew McMinn was going to run the ball but couldn't stop them. I thought your son played a very good first half defensively. Central has no depth and their offense looked worse than it was last year.
Tellico beat Central 3 times, in a spring scrimmage, in a scrimmage a couple weeks ago, and again in the jamboree. Tellico lost by a lot to Sequoyah, so I'd have to go with Sequoyah by 2-3 touchdowns.

Like I said at first, I'll know more after a few more games.  The Tellico scrimmage means nothing really.  I do agree we need to get some things going offensively.  Think about the field position we gave McMinn all night, do you realize how many turnovers we had.  Yes it matters that it is a bigger school cause it is all about depth.  About 55 of those yards came towards the end of the half when we were trying to rest some DL.  about 95 yards came at the game when we had our JV/Freshmen in.  I agree depth can be is an issue, but these are good kids that didn't quit.  Yes I do think our defense is a bit better this year.  You are correct I will always be optimistic, why not.  

14 minutes ago, logcabinman said:

Like I said at first, I'll know more after a few more games.  The Tellico scrimmage means nothing really.  I do agree we need to get some things going offensively.  Think about the field position we gave McMinn all night, do you realize how many turnovers we had.  Yes it matters that it is a bigger school cause it is all about depth.  About 55 of those yards came towards the end of the half when we were trying to rest some DL.  about 95 yards came at the game when we had our JV/Freshmen in.  I agree depth can be is an issue, but these are good kids that didn't quit.  Yes I do think our defense is a bit better this year.  You are correct I will always be optimistic, why not.  

IT'S GREAT TO BE OPTIMISTIC BUTTTT YOU HAVE TO REALISTIC AT THE SAME TIME.