Oak Ridge and DB

bounder

12 hours ago, toocool said:

Whiten had a terrible interview and that’s putting it nicely. JC is who we got and we might as well get behind him at least for this season.

I agree that coach Christian is the man and hope everything gets turned around for the players this year.I would however be interested in what the qualifications and hidden agenda was for each person doing that interview if coach Witten didn't meet their standards.Would have been interesting if Elizabethton was on Dobyns Bennett's schedule this year.Regardless ,Coach Witten has already proven his qualifications at Science Hill

11 hours ago, blazer1set said:

I know it is a different sport, but how in the world did Buck Van Huss do it?    He certainly was not one of the GOB's at least in the sense we are talking about here..

The Van Huss era was before the GOB's were formed. The GOB's came together when Clark became head coach. Van Huss didn't need to be part of any "I've got your back club" He was a winner.

21 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

The Van Huss era was before the GOB's were formed. The GOB's came together when Clark became head coach. Van Huss didn't need to be part of any "I've got your back club" He was a winner.

You got that right, "Van Huss was a winner" is such an understatement.     I remember going to some of his practices during the 70's, it now reminds me a little of Pat Summit.      He didn't know much about football but if somehow he was HC in football now those first 2 scores would be reversed.    Well that is neither here nor there, you have to work with what you have.     These next 3 games are going to be tough but I seriously think there are some wins in the last half of the season.      I am still picking the Tribe over the Hill by a slim margin.    I saw the Hill last week, Ooltewah should have won by 2 scores but the Owls kept shooting themselves in the foot at the most inopportune times.   But give the Hill credit for banging out the win.   The Hill has a lot of speed in the backfield and they run the read option pretty well.   On defense they do not look that good, and they did benefit from a very bad PI call against the Owls during a critical 3rd down.    But hey, bad calls usually even out and the Hill won fair and square.

2 hours ago, baseballfan19 said:

What they did to Billy Seals tells me all I need to know about DB. They weren't interested in hiring the best available, they wanted the status quo.  And it's a shame because JC is a good guy, but he's going to be the whipping boy.

What did they do to him?  I thought he was the hire, and they offered, and then he called back and turned it down.

3 hours ago, baseballfan19 said:

What they did to Billy Seals tells me all I need to know about DB. They weren't interested in hiring the best available, they wanted the status quo.  And it's a shame because JC is a good guy, but he's going to be the whipping boy.

33 minutes ago, johndeere said:

What did they do to him?  I thought he was the hire, and they offered, and then he called back and turned it down.

Yep,I have heard a couple different things including he turned it down thinking he was getting some BS.I would like to know the 100% story on that.

3 hours ago, BatmanDevil said:

Yep,I have heard a couple different things including he turned it down thinking he was getting some BS.I would like to know the 100% story on that.

To get the 100% story you'd have to talk to Seals. But I'd say at this point he couldn't care less about whats going on in Kingsport. If you look at how this started and how it's ended up I'd say there's a 99.9% chance he was getting some BS. Does anyone remember who was on that search committee?

9 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

To get the 100% story you'd have to talk to Seals. But I'd say at this point he couldn't care less about whats going on in Kingsport. If you look at how this started and how it's ended up I'd say there's a 99.9% chance he was getting some BS. Does anyone remember who was on that search committee?

My memory isn't what it once was.I can think of a couple names but I would hate to be wrong

On 8/26/2018 at 10:11 PM, WaCoJaCo said:

At least one of the Good ole Boys lol. Everybody knows by now that the hire was a done deal long before the so called search committee was ever formed. The whole thing was a farce. It was pretty lame to say the least that they would form a search committee to do a "nation wide" search do a few token interviews and then give the job to an assistant with zero head coaching experience. Witten probably thought they were serious, came into the interview and told them everything he was going to do to turn the program into a winning one. That would mean he was planning on trimming out the dead weight and bringing in a few "real coaches" with him. And you know the "Good ole Boys" weren't going to have that.

Actually, no I was not one of those interviewing him but I spoke with someone who did sit in on the interview and if you would have heard what he had to say, you would have said no thanks as well. The city of Kingsport interviewed several people and was turned down several times.  A former player at DB basically called out the administration and told them that they needed to stay in house and that’s what they did. We will see what happens at the conclusion of this season but everyone might as well get behind with who we have now because bashing the staff this early in the season is a little premature. And with those saying we have talent on this team, your wrong, because we do not have the talent we’ve had in years past. Particularly on the defensive side of the ball.