AA Teams to Watch 2018

knightsfan

So I saw Nolensville and Hume-Fogg play last night in a thriller for the region finals. First of all congrats to Nolensville on winning the region tournament, well deserved. Nolensville won 3-2, however I would argue that Hume-Fogg let this one get away from them. First set was tight (no one ever had more than a 3 point lead, was tied most of the set), and both teams made unforced errors, Nolensville won 25-23. Then in second set, and I would argue this is what cost Hume-Fogg, Hume-Fogg was rolling up, 19-11, and then imploded and lost the 2nd set 23-25. In the 3rd and 4th sets Hume-Fogg didn't implode this time winning both sets (I believe something like 25-16, and 25-17). In the 5th set, it was someone tight for the first 8 points or so, but Nolensville broke away and won the 5th set 15-9. Overall, I don't think Nolensville played their best game, and I don't think Hume-Fogg did either. I was more impressed with how Hume-Fogg's younger players stepped up in the middle, especially in the blocking department. They caused problems all match. pgd66 is spot on, Nolensville will go as far as the setter takes them. If she is having a good game, and they are passing, then they will be tough to beat. Last night, there was definitely times where the passing and setting was off. Their best OH #2 didn't appear to have a good game (by her standards) either, which is another reason I don't think they played their best game. I will say if both teams have that many errors in the sectionals, then I believe Camden and Portland will come out of this tough sectional group.

Also, in regards to Camden pgd66 is right again. Camden will not beat themselves, they are very well coached, and don't make many errors. They hit the corners well, and as mentioned their best player is their setter. To beat Camden, you just have to limit your errors (easier said then done), and play a solid team game. When Hume-Fogg played camden in the siegel tournament, Camden won 2-1, and the 3rd set was like 18-16 I think. Although, I would say Hume-Fogg probably tripled them in errors that match, and that is what cost them. I unfortunately haven't gotten to see Portland yet, but I had talked with them last year, and figured they would be good again, based on who they returned. I think Camden and Portland will come down to Portland not making a ton of unforced errors. If they don't I think they will win, but it should be a great match either way. 

Is there anyone who has a shot against Camden or Portland in Region Semifinals? If not, then good luck to all 4 teams in sectionals. Should be a lot of fun. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I saw that Portland won 3-1. So portland hosts Hume-Fogg and Camden goes to Nolensville. My guess, and I hope I am wrong, is that Portland wins in 4 or 5, and that Camden wins in 5, because of Camden's prior experience. That being said, Right before the playoffs last year Hume-Fogg had beaten Portland in a tournament (close match), and Hume-Fogg kept their main core from that team, I know Portland lost some key positions (from what I had heard), but kept some of their best players. Granted that was last year, and it is a whole different season now. So I am hoping that Hume-Fogg can come up with the upset again. Good luck to all of the teams.

The Final 8 AA teams are: Sullivan South, Knoxville Catholic, East Hamilton, Upperman, Camden, Portland, Jackson South Side, and Chester County.

I honestly am not surprised Camden and Portland advance so easily. I still think they are my picks for the final. Although Sullivan South and Knoxville Catholic will be in the mix as well.

Agreed Rockstar, I was not at the hume fogg vs portland game, but I heard the set scores were 26-24, 25-21, and 25-23. Sounds like it was a decent game, but Hume-Fogg just couldn't get that 1 or 2 points they needed to make it very interesting. Congrats to both Portland and Camden. I will say I thought Nolensville would have one a set or two, but I wasn't there either, nor do I know what the set scores were. I think the final 3 will be Portland, Camden, and Knox Cath. With the finals being a rematch of last year (I believe) between Portland and Knox Cath. Good luck to all the teams that made it to state!

So i see the AA State bracket is up. I think they did a pretty good job ( i know it is luck of the draw but still) at splitting the best teams up. Maybe switch either portland or SS with one of the teams from the first game, but still i think it is very balanced. I think the last 4 in the tournament will be Portland, Knox Cath, East Hamilton (because of the loser's bracket draw, and I think they are a pretty good team), and either SS or Camden ( I will go with Camden). I think if Camden can get by Knox Cath, then the state championship will be Portland vs Camden, or Portland vs Knox Cath. I will be excited to see how this turns out. For first round my picks are: Upperman, Portland, Camden, and Knox Cath. Good luck to everyone!

Edited by knightsfan

Interesting bracket... Tough draw for Sullivan South (or really anyone) getting Portland in round 1.

The Camden/Knox Cath game is a great potential 2nd round game.

Some of these teams have great records (East Hamilton/Upperman), but I haven't really seen them in the big tournaments or heard their names mentioned in volleyball circles, so don't know that I can take them serious until I see how they do against teams that I KNOW are very good (Portland, Camden, Knox Cath)

I'm still gonna pick Portland & Camden in the finals, but Camden is probably gonna have to beat Knox Cath twice to get there and that is gonna be tough! I'll be pulling for Camden, but Portland is my pick to win it all.