AA Teams to Watch 2018

knightsfan

Someone above mentioned East Hamilton in final 4... again I haven't seen them play, and though they are a team that hasn't lost a game in a long while, their schedule is super weak. They split with Hume Fogg who is a decent team, but that's arguably their best win all year.

Same with Upperman. A great record, but two of their three losses are to Watertown. A decent, but not amazing single A team. So I don't know that I can see them going very far against teams like Portland/Camden who are battle tested.

There's a reason why they play the games, though...you never know what is going to happen!

14 hours ago, Rockstar89 said:

Someone above mentioned East Hamilton in final 4... again I haven't seen them play, and though they are a team that hasn't lost a game in a long while, their schedule is super weak. They split with Hume Fogg who is a decent team, but that's arguably their best win all year.

Same with Upperman. A great record, but two of their three losses are to Watertown. A decent, but not amazing single A team. So I don't know that I can see them going very far against teams like Portland/Camden who are battle tested.

There's a reason why they play the games, though...you never know what is going to happen!

I said they would reach final 4 because they would have a much easier time getting through the losers bracket if they lose to camden. I think Camden, Knox Cath, and Portland are better than East Hamilton, but I am looking at the brackets. (please check me on this) I believe they wouldn't play a Knox Cath, Camden, or SS until the final 4 if they lose to Camden in the first game. That Is why i think they would be a final 4 team. I see SS having to play either Camden or Knox Cath in the second round of losers bracket (assuming Portland beats SS), but of course anything can happen. So my analysis can go right out the door haha. I agree with analysis with Upperman, and they did get a very favorable first round draw. I think we know the top 3, and I just believe based on who is left I have East and SS at 4. SS has a much harder road to the final 4 then East would, at least in my eyes. 

1 hour ago, kr1416 said:

Blind Draw LOL the two Kingsport  teams AA South and AAA DB draw Portland and Brentwood.  It looks a bit funny if you ask me. 

It's the state tournament. Would you expect an easy first-round match-up? 

In any case, the double-elimination format ensures that the cream rises. If they are unfairly seeded, they'll blow through the loser's bracket and rematch in the Final.

5 hours ago, Osage said:

It's the state tournament. Would you expect an easy first-round match-up? 

In any case, the double-elimination format ensures that the cream rises. If they are unfairly seeded, they'll blow through the loser's bracket and rematch in the Final.

Agreed somewhat, I do expect some easy first round matchups in AA bracket, although I expected Sullivan South to put up more of a fight: 25-23, 25-14, 25-13. I know Hume-Fogg lost to Portland in Sectionals: 24-26, 21-25, and 23-25. We really won't know much about how this will turn out until Camden and Knox Catholic play each other. I think Portland will beat Upperman in straight sets personally.

What I think I have learned with Camden is, people can have more talent than them, but the key to beat them is to not commit errors, or hurt yourself in any way. If you can keep from doing that, and you have some talent then I personally believe you can beat Camden. I mean I believe, outside of setter and coaching, that Portland, Hume-Fogg, and Nolensville probably had more talent than Camden, but make a lot more errors than them when they play. My gut had been telling me that the finals would be Portland and Knox Catholic again, because if those teams don't make errors against Camden, then I think they can beat them. Now don't get me wrong, i have a TON of respect for Camden, and I do think they are VERY GOOD, So I can definitely be wrong here. That is just my opinion. 

Edited by knightsfan

Well, I am the first to admit my wrong-ness on this one! It seems your hunch may be correct as they have corrected themselves in a big way to go up 2-1 and closing in on winning a 3rd. I wish I could 'see' this one and what is going on instead of just following scores online! What happened after the first set????

I would normally say maybe one of the teams got over nerves, but both were at state last year i believe. I wish I knew as well. Camden should win their next game, and then play probably Upperman, then they would be in the final 4. So they are in the "easier" side of the losers bracket I would say. Avoid SS, and loser of East and Knox Cath.