AA Teams to Watch 2018

knightsfan

Thought it would be good to start some threads for specific classifications. As for AA Volleyball, just some teams to throw out there: Knoxville Catholic, Portland, Hume-Fogg, Camden. I don't know how Sullivan South is this year, but I expect them to be in the thick of things like usual.  I know I am missing some from Chattanooga area so feel free to put other teams please. Also, would like to hear how the teams I have mentioned, and others, are looking so far this year. I will say Camden appears to be doing REALLY good so far, and definitely is a team to watch. I know they made it to the Gold bracket of the Knoxville tournament this past weekend. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well Portland, Camden, and Nolensville have seemed to be battle tested thus far. Hume-Fogg should finally get tested this weekend in the back to the boro tournament. Outside of Page and maybe one or two others, Hume-Fogg hasn't really played too many teams that are notable. Both Camden and Nolensville will be there along with some more competition too. Hume-Fogg plays Camden in the first pool match. What is more interesting is that it will very likely be Hume-Fogg/Nolensville vs Camden/Portland in sub state. Those will be very tough sub states. Does anyone have any info from the East and West (SS, Knox Cath, Dyersburg, etc)?

• 2 weeks later...

The best AA school I have seen is Portland. They gave Dickson County their only loss. They're very good. I have also seen Camden play a couple of times, and they are really good as well. Great setter. They know how to play to win. Very smartly coached. White House Heritage is improved, but unfortunately are in the same region with Portland & Camden. This is another instance of a really stacked region where more than a couple of teams could compete in state, but not all will get the chance! Hume Fogg and Nolensville are decent as well, but not at the same level as Portland/Camden.

Edited by Rockstar89

Also, someone above mentioned Dyersburg. They are really down this year. I am not sure what happened to them. They have gone to the state tournament 10 years in a row or something like that... That said, I am not sure that they even won a game at the Wilco tournament this past weekend. Including losing to a couple of single A teams. I would imagine that Crockett County has a chance to win District 14 over them this year. And that Jackson South Side will win Region 7.

Based on what I have seen thus far, I would agree with Rockstar, but I think Nolensville can definitely be up there with Camden and Portland. Hume-Fogg has been slumping lately, much like Page has. They will have to change this if they hope for any chance in making it to the State Tournament. Also, I would watch out for Knoxville Catholic too, for what it is worth.

• 2 weeks later...

I would watch out for Anderson County. They were in AAA for the last 8 years and Farragut got them in the Regionals.  Last year they lost in the sub state to South, but this year they have a team of all freshman and Sophs.  This group won back to back middle school sectionals, and have played together in a closed club for the last 4 years with high quality club coaches.  They have gotten better every week as the young players learn.  They are the biggest AA team in size I have seen, and they are athletic and well coached.  They may be a year away but if they beat Catholic in the Regional on Tuesday they could be a tough out.

Right now I think Portland is the best team, and the team to beat.  They are solid and experienced.  I think they will repeat.  Catholic, South and Camden are my other top 4.  Catholic has Cunningham who is their best player by far, if she gets enough sets they could beat Portland.  They have a strong Libero and a good setter.  The other hitters aren’t as strong, but Cunningham can carry the load.

Hume Fogg is my unknown,  sometimes I think they look great, other times so so.  South is the same, they come out flat and look average, other times they look great.

i pick Portland over Catholic in the finals, but...AC has a strong winning tradition, and are loaded with big strong skilled players.  If they can get over their youth and get hot they would be my dark horse to make a push.  Still they they are next years team to beat but they are dangerous.

I would have to agree with you bratman for the most part. However, I would put Nolensville in that top 4 group with Camden, and Catholic. No offense to South, but I have seen Nolensville play some and they look pretty darn good. Hume-Fogg vs Nolensville should be a good match, but if I had to pick one right now, I think I would pick Nolensville, but if Hume-Fogg comes to play then all bets are off. Camden, Portland, Hume-Fogg, and Nolensville will all have to play each other in substate, and those could go anyway depending on who comes to play.

I totally agree on Nolensville.  Actually, I've seen Camden, Portland, and Nolensville up close this year and there's not a razor's edge between the 3.  I haven't seen Hume Fogg but know they have a couple of powerful hitters on that team.  To beat Portland, you have to somehow neutralize the Bullington kid as their offense totally runs through her, front row and back row.  Camden has one of the top setters in the state who can quickly turn into an offensive weapon if out of system.  They are also well coached; lots of role players on the team that frustrate their opponents.  If Nolensville can stay in system (passing can be suspect), they have some power across the front line.  It's a shame that only 2 of these 4 will make it to state.