Fulton @ Powell

92Dragon

22 hours ago, HTV said:

No, he didn't get fired. Firing a favorite son who had just gone 14-1 and finished a few yards from a gold ball would have gotten the principal run out of town. 

Ha. I highly doubt that. You don't go to the BlueCross Bowl and then pop up at Kings Academy a year later. That would have had his career going in reverse. He may not have been officially fired but something fishy was going on. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, matchesmalone2 said:

You don't go to the BlueCross Bowl and then pop up at Kings Academy a year later.

You do if 1) you're burned out, 2) you're going to be compensated handsomely, and 3) you're given full control. In Matt's case, I think all of those things were true. I will never blame a guy for moving on to another job when there is a lot more $ and freedom involved. In hindsight though, some people learn that the grass isn't always greener...

1 hour ago, matchesmalone2 said:

Ha. I highly doubt that. You don't go to the BlueCross Bowl and then pop up at Kings Academy a year later. That would have had his career going in reverse. He may not have been officially fired but something fishy was going on. 

I'm telling you that you don't have a clue what you are talking about.  

Look, Pal.  You can argue if you want, but pretty much everybody on this forum knows me.  I was about as close to that situation as anybody not on the coaching staff could be.   Don't give a rats behind what you "doubt".  Matt wasn't fired.  He took a year off from coaching while still teaching at Powell and then left for TKA.  It was his decision - period.  

Edited by HTV

20 hours ago, OneEyedKing said:

i've known matt for year.s grown up with him. The one thing i know about him is that he is a man of great character. i just try and tell it like it is. you know me though.

HTV is correct. I am a good friend with a man that was on staff after the 2011 playoff run. Matt was a victim of poor circumstance. I would have left as well. However, I do know that Matt recruits harder than Coach Butch Jones did when he was gainfully employed by our hallowed University on the Hill.

Prediction:

UT- 29

ETSU- 29

1 hour ago, ClarkGriswild said:

HTV is correct. I am a good friend with a man that was on staff after the 2011 playoff run. Matt was a victim of poor circumstance. I would have left as well. However, I do know that Matt recruits harder than Coach Butch Jones did when he was gainfully employed by our hallowed University on the Hill.

Prediction:

UT- 29

ETSU- 29

Depends on what one calls "recruiting", and Matt is no better nor worse than pretty much anybody else in Knox County is or isn't.  That game is played county wide and beyond,     

33 minutes ago, HTV said:

Depends on what one calls "recruiting", and Matt is no better nor worse than pretty much anybody else in Knox County is or isn't.  That game is played county wide and beyond,     

Haha sometimes you show your youth. Matt is much worse than most. You don't win at Powell without recruiting.

6 hours ago, ClarkGriswild said:

Haha sometimes you show your youth. Matt is much worse than most. You don't win at Powell without recruiting.

Do what?  Look at my Avatar pic.  Those are two of my four grandchildren.  I'm no young pup.  

Look, you can argue until the cows come home that Matt "is much worse" than most.  And there is nothing you can't tell me about the Powell program, at least going back 30 years, that I am not aware of.  

And I can go in to my phone and pull out texts messages or calls from just about every head coach and dozens of assistants in Knox County, along with about half of the ADs, where I have had conversations with them.  I know how the game is played.  

So, define "recruiting", please.  There are rules, that have to be followed.  There are gray areas, and I promise you that those gray areas are played by just about everybody in town.  

I suggest that if you have any information concerning Coach Lowe or any coach in the county and beyond that you contact Bernard Childers at the TSSAA office.  His number is   (615) 889-6740.  Otherwise, your clams are baseless and cowardice.  

Edited by HTV