Cordova at Whitehaven, Week 3

kwc

Cordova rolled on Southwind last week. It took Whitehaven until the last two miniutes of the game to beat Ridgeway. How does every one see this game? Cordova looked good offensively last week. They got a TD on the opening kick-off. Their defence slowed the Southwind run game. Southwind's passing game is pretty non-existent.

Input people .. input. Let's chop it up.

Edited by kwc

2 hours ago, Havengrad04 said:

Last week was a good wake up call. I like how we were able to respond to adversity but think we’ll play much better this week. Cordova coming in with a chip on their shoulder and a new coach. Still early in the season and we’re working out kinks but we roll in this one 

Considering that coach D is operating outside of his comfort zone, I tend to agree about working out the kinks comment. Our talent surplus is with the receiving corps. Coach D is more comfortable with ground and pound. That's not were we are overly blessed with this team. It is a work in progress.

I see improvements with each game. However, Cordova isn't a slouch either. Throw in the fact that we've lost Bryson for at least two games.

10 hours ago, coach10ac said:

Time to spice things up!! Lol.....are we gone talk about the big elephant in the room??? Where are those wimberley goons? Word is none of the kids from east will be eligible to play for Cordova this year..Da Haven didn have anything to do with that....feel sorry for those young men!!

coach10ac, you are correct. Coach and everybody else is baffled that TSSAA's final ruling was to make those 3 kids ineligible. They did everything they were supposed to. They filed the hardship and even got a letter from East's Executive Principal saying they were in good standing and the move was NOT for athletic reasons. They still made those kids ineligible under the coaching link. Otherwise, they would be eligible, like the other 12 kids that left the overall bad situation at East. They are clearly not about the kids. Justin Lynn was at Cordova before coach even got the job. So that is a double whammy for that kid. Believe me, they are a different offense with that kid pulling the trigger.

It is mystifying that kids from Kingbury are eligible to play at East under the same situation with a coaching link present. Cordova is asking how that can be and their kids are not. 

Anyway, I figure it to be a good and exciting contest between two good teams that may meet again sometime in November. Cordova's offense is more explosive than Whitehaven's.

Keys:
Cordova needs a fast start, but has ability to come from behind with explosive plays.
Special Teams may play a factor. A kickoff return or punt return for TD can be difference in game.
Both teams have been good at causing turnovers, so the turnover battle is crucial in this one. 
This game is a strength check for both teams, and will help both make adjustments going forward.

• Like 1

This will be an interesting game to watch.  Cordova has a few playmakers but hasn't been tested.  They beat a Southwind team that struggled to score against 1A Freedom Prep in the jamboree.  I think that team has about 25 to 30 kids on the team. (if that)  No way that should have been a 7 -6 win unless they are who we've seen so far.  ( I think they are)  Coach Slocum has shown he can get his team ready as the season progresses.  The Southaven game was a good win for Cordova.  I'm not sure how good Southaven is but they're normally pretty tough.  They lost to 28-6 to a good Olive Branch,Ms. team last week.  

Whitehaven has shown flashes of what they can be.  They are nowhere close right now.  What we saw against a Ridgeway team that was worked over by MUS was disappointing.  Whitehaven  looked very undisciplined and sloppy to say the least.  MUS actually did the same thing to Whitehaven in their scrimmage as well from what I've heard.  I wasn't their to witness that one.   Is MUS that good or is Ridgeway and Whitehaven that bad??  Whitehaven beat up on 2a Fairley  pretty good in the first game, which they should have done.  

My prediction is Cordova will find a way to lose this game, as they have in the past when they play Whitehaven.  

Right now Cordova looks better on the field.  Whitehaven looks great on paper.