The Gutts @ The Ridge

SweetScience

56 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

Cats, I thought the defenses played really well, but with all of the dropped passes it made it seem sloppy on our end. I have seen a lot worse though. The Guts had a great defensive game plan I thought. We had a lot of problems blocking their front 7. 

Each defense had a major breakdown in the secondary on the TD pass by each team and our defense let them off the hook after they started on the 2 yard line when we didn't make on 4th down (come on Gaddis...take the three points). Did you agree with that call to go for it on 4th down from the 2 yard line? I think our defense played pretty well. Their defense let us get wide open FOUR times but we only caught one of them!!!!

2 minutes ago, catswild said:

Each defense had a major breakdown in the secondary on the TD pass by each team and our defense let them off the hook after they started on the 2 yard line when we didn't make on 4th down (come on Gaddis...take the three points). Did you agree with that call to go for it on 4th down from the 2 yard line? I think our defense played pretty well. Their defense let us get wide open FOUR times but we only caught one of them!!!!

I think Gaddis made the right call to go for it on 4th down from the two because we missed a short field goal later in the game and we seem to miss a PAT every game. The receiver was wide open but the QB threw it too far.

Friday night was a great high school football game, mistakes and all by both teams. My main question is, what is the status of the big renovation project to Blankenship Field. Have been coming there for years and it seems to be stuck in the 70s except for the visitor side. Took some time before the game on Friday to explore the home stands and my does it need some updating. The field also look like it was in rough condition too. What is the status of the renovation? It is needed badly.

24 minutes ago, AdmiralDude said:

Friday night was a great high school football game, mistakes and all by both teams. My main question is, what is the status of the big renovation project to Blankenship Field. Have been coming there for years and it seems to be stuck in the 70s except for the visitor side. Took some time before the game on Friday to explore the home stands and my does it need some updating. The field also look like it was in rough condition too. What is the status of the renovation? It is needed badly.

LOL...nobody seems to know anything around here and I don't believe a word anyone says about it. But you're right, it's badly needed.

40 minutes ago, bonkers said:

I think Gaddis made the right call to go for it on 4th down from the two because we missed a short field goal later in the game and we seem to miss a PAT every game. The receiver was wide open but the QB threw it too far.

A case could be made for both, but OR PAT percentage went way up when they switched kickers for extra points and kept the bigger leg kicker for kick offs. Both are doing what they are best at and the overall kicking has improved. Fact. 

56 minutes ago, catswild said:

I never insulted Farragut...I think they're a very good team. I just don't agree with your statement of them being 1-2 TDs better than OR. That's no insult to Farragut at all...it's simply a difference of opinion. You're way too sensitive. But I do think that if we catch just one of those passes and kick an extra point...OR wins...but we didn't, so end of story. Now it's on to West and whoever you play.

That's fine.  Good luck against West.  I may not personally care for OR, but as I indicated in a previous post I think highly of Coach Gaddis and I wish him and his guys much success the rest of the way.

1 hour ago, FHS_Admiral said:

That's fine.  Good luck against West.  I may not personally care for OR, but as I indicated in a previous post I think highly of Coach Gaddis and I wish him and his guys much success the rest of the way.

Thanks. I also think highly of Coach Courtney. I'm glad we found something we agree on. Good luck against Jeff County and the rest of the way.

It's a shame Farragut isn't in 5A anymore. I wouldn't mind at all seeing these 2 go at it later in the year. I hope like last year that we continue to improve as we get closer to the playoffs. Last years team was one of the most enjoyable to watch grow in my 39 years as a Wildcats fan. I hope to see the same this year. One question for Admirals fans. Who do you guys consider your biggest rival? OR or Bearden? I love the Farragut OR rivalry.

2 hours ago, SweetScience said:

It's a shame Farragut isn't in 5A anymore. I wouldn't mind at all seeing these 2 go at it later in the year. I hope like last year that we continue to improve as we get closer to the playoffs. Last years team was one of the most enjoyable to watch grow in my 39 years as a Wildcats fan. I hope to see the same this year. One question for Admirals fans. Who do you guys consider your biggest rival? OR or Bearden? I love the Farragut OR rivalry.

For me it's OR as the biggest rival followed by Bearden.  Bearden back in the 80s was a big rival no doubt, but beating them was expected and more of the norm for Farragut.  Beating OR on the other hand was special because it didn't happen too often in those days.  Even though Farragut has had a good run recently against OR, beating OR will always be extra special to me!

24 minutes ago, rebelsrecruit said:

The pick six wasn't a "tipped" ball. It hit the kid square in the hands!!! OR fans keep talking about dropped passes. If farragut scores on that play its 21-7 and farragut was dominating at that point of the game. That was a gimme pick 6 that gave OR a chance. I think farragut should've ran the ball in that situation. I've seen a lot of talk about #7 on Farragut but that #16 is the real deal. Another difference in the game was QB play. #11 for farragut is one heck of a passer and can read what the defense gives him. The OR QB is one heck of a player but he should be receiving passes not throwing them.

That's true, but if OR doesn't overthrow a wide open guy in the EZ they go up 14-0. That would've changed the whole perception of the game. When we didn't get that TD momentum shifted. So we can go either way with the missed opportunities. Either way, Farragut was the better team that night. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rebelsrecruit said:

As a CAK you are complaining about the level of competition Farragut plays??? I watch a different HS team almost every week and you can call holding on every play if want. I thought OR got a few call that favored them. The pass interference in the end zone and the personal foul farragut had on the long run from their own goal line??

Well, since you asked, first I've been an OR fan since the late 70's when I moved there from out of state. I'm an alum who moved to Knoxville. My kids starting attending CAK in Knoxville and at that point, I started supporting that program as well and still do. My kids are out of school now and as always, I support both programs. 

I was responding to an earlier Farragut fan's post that OR would be the toughest competition they've played this year. I agree. I also believe Farragut was OR's toughest competition so far. 

I prefaced my comments about the penalties with, "Not that it effected the overall game..." Those were two blatant bad HS ref moments. My commentary was more about the refs, not their effect on that game. While I'm sure there were bad calls favoring OR (thus the two I mentioned didn't change the overall game) the two you cited, I believe, were correctly called. I was close enough to the personal foul to see it first hand. Anyway, good folks can disagree. That's the way I saw the game when I made the post and I stand by it. Good luck to your team, whomever that may be. 

Edited by Govolsknox
  • Like 1