D-B football

DandDD

23 minutes ago, BatmanDevil said:

I've not looked at all the possible playoff scenarios for 6A but every conference game is huge this year as always.The biggest thing DB can accomplish at Alcoa is just getting better against great competition while trying  to avoid another game like the first two.I'm usually not a moral victory kind of guy,but not getting smoked would be a great game against this years Alcoa team.The guy that scheduled Greeneville and Alcoa for this year,probably should have just done a one year deal when DB was somewhat loaded last year.

Yeah   I think a lot of people have always thought that the years when DBs schedule was somewhat weak (when they played a lot of local teams) that it hurt them come playoff time. So hopefully playing this type of schedule helps them prepare for making a little deeper run in the playoff. That's always been part of the discussion "DB goes 10- 0 and loses in the first round every year". Maybe eventually that won't be the case. Several years ago when they were in the Big East conference with some of the big schools down the road they had success. I think they won that conference something like 11 out of 12 years and actually made a couple of deep runs in the playoffs (quarterfinal or semi finals a couple of times). That conference was fairly strong and they would also play at least one good game outside of the conference. Somebody like Oak Ridge. I think it made them better. My hopes are that if they continue playing this type schedule that we will see some deeper runs in the playoffs. Maybe not this year but soon.

6 hours ago, BatmanDevil said:

I've not looked at all the possible playoff scenarios for 6A but every conference game is huge this year as always.The biggest thing DB can accomplish at Alcoa is just getting better against great competition while trying  to avoid another game like the first two.I'm usually not a moral victory kind of guy,but not getting smoked would be a great game against this years Alcoa team.The guy that scheduled Greeneville and Alcoa for this year,probably should have just done a one year deal when DB was somewhat loaded last year.

Yeah, wonder why he did it that way. lol

6 hours ago, DandDD said:

Yeah   I think a lot of people have always thought that the years when DBs schedule was somewhat weak (when they played a lot of local teams) that it hurt them come playoff time. So hopefully playing this type of schedule helps them prepare for making a little deeper run in the playoff. That's always been part of the discussion "DB goes 10- 0 and loses in the first round every year". Maybe eventually that won't be the case. Several years ago when they were in the Big East conference with some of the big schools down the road they had success. I think they won that conference something like 11 out of 12 years and actually made a couple of deep runs in the playoffs (quarterfinal or semi finals a couple of times). That conference was fairly strong and they would also play at least one good game outside of the conference. Somebody like Oak Ridge. I think it made them better. My hopes are that if they continue playing this type schedule that we will see some deeper runs in the playoffs. Maybe not this year but soon.

Except what they need now is a few coaches that can coach defense. 

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 2:14 PM, DandDD said:

I don't think they can beat Alcoa but the other 2 game are possible. Farragut on the road is tough but from what I saw from Farragut last night a win is possible. Bearden in Kingsport is very possible. If things go the Indians way a little then 7-3 is not out of the possibilities.

Science Hill and Sevier Counties quarterbacks were not very good throwing the ball. DB's secondary did a pretty good job of defending at crucial times against Science Hill but Sevier Counties QB couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Sevier Co. had receivers running wide open on half of their plays Friday night but their QB either never saw them or he over threw them by 10 yards. Lets face it, Science Hill and Sevier Co. are not very good football teams. Farragut and especially Bearden will torch DB's secondary. And both have good defenses so I don't think running Hicks 30 times will get it done. Alcoa is probably the best team in the state, all divisions. Their QB lit it up against Maryville, he'll have a easy time with DB. Just the truth.

3 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Science Hill and Sevier Counties quarterbacks were not very good throwing the ball. DB's secondary did a pretty good job of defending at crucial times against Science Hill but Sevier Counties QB couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Sevier Co. had receivers running wide open on half of their plays Friday night but their QB either never saw them or he over threw them by 10 yards. Lets face it, Science Hill and Sevier Co. are not very good football teams. Farragut and especially Bearden will torch DB's secondary. And both have good defenses so I don't think running Hicks 30 times will get it done. Alcoa is probably the best team in the state, all divisions. Their QB lit it up against Maryville, he'll have a easy time with DB. Just the truth.

Appreciate it WaCo!

2 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Except what they need now is a few coaches that can coach defense. 

I see that comment from you quite often on here. Do you have someone in mind?  If you are talking secondary coaching i'm not sure I've seen many High school teams around here that can play good pass coverage. There might be some teams with good secondary's but it's because they just have some really good athletes (speed, speed, and more speed). As far as defense as a whole there probably are some good coaches around. Don't know that I can name any off the top of my head.

If you can pressure most HS quarterbacks you can protect your secondary weaknesses. If not, a good HS quarterback will eat most teams up. 

I have all the respect in the world for Alcoa, for a small school they are beyond incredible.   But at the same time I just refuse to accept that a school the size of DB's band is going to shellack the Tribe.    DB had a couple of games to work out the kinks but have since outscored the last 2 opponents  to the tune of 79-21.     Kingsport is back on the 6A map.   Alcoa, you're next.   Tribe takes this one 26-24.     For those doubting Thomases amongst us, I'll go ahead and save you the time, you can just cut-and-paste this response:    "Oh come on blazer, you have been drinking too much of that Booneshine, the F5 Tornado is going to absolutely shred that whatchamacallit team from Kingsport..."