Has a 3A team ever beaten a defending 6A state champ before last night?

32hammer

1 hour ago, 32hammer said:

I dont think its ever happened before, but would like to see if anyone else knows

I can't recall that ever happening before lastnight. But I know alot of 6A teams won't even play 3A school, because of that same reason scared of losing to 3A school. So that's way I respect 6A teams that do play 3A schools.

17 hours ago, Red Rebels said:

Like I said on Twitter @The_Red_Rebels , There have only been four different 6A Champions. Maryville, Whitehaven, Ravenwood, and White Station. I don't think they have ever played a 3A team besides Maryville. I don't care if they play any other 3A teams, let them play Alcoa. 

2 great teams played each other Friday night. The accomplishments of both make a victory by either much more significant . For a 3A team to beat a defending 6A state is a huge accomplishment. When that 6A team has Maryville's resume,  its an even bigger accomplishment.  I hope I didnt sound disrespectful to the Maryville players or coaches. Love my Maryville kids. Many of us may have let our emotions get the best of us  a little Friday night, but we really are Blessed to get to enjoy what these teams are doing. 

1 hour ago, 32hammer said:

2 great teams played each other Friday night. The accomplishments of both make a victory by either much more significant . For a 3A team to beat a defending 6A state is a huge accomplishment. When that 6A team has Maryville's resume,  its an even bigger accomplishment.  I hope I didnt sound disrespectful to the Maryville players or coaches. Love my Maryville kids. Many of us may have let our emotions get the best of us  a little Friday night, but we really are Blessed to get to enjoy what these teams are doing. 

When I went to see Alcoa scrimmage Bradley and the way their defensive line totally destroyed the Bears offensive line I sat there and wondered , did Bradley suffer that bad from graduation or has Alcoa went to another level. Well Friday Night answered that question for all of us. If I'm going to lose to Alcoa I want it to be against a team I feel there are very very few teams that could beat them. In my opinion there is only one team in the state that can match up with them on the line of scrimmage either side and that is Oakland but I would give Alcoa the edge on the defense line.. Alcoa has something this year they have never had before and that is depth. From what I see that will be their strength for the near future for the next few years anyway. In the past Maryville just had to many fresh weapons in the end but that changed this past week. Anyone with a thread of knowledge of football from Maryville realizes that. In the last quarter most Maryville fans had no doubt we could pull the ballgame out. I wasn't even worried with four minutes to go but Maryville beat Maryville in the end on this one. Now we will have to move on and not look back in the mirror about what could of been and learn from the mistakes. I have no doubt in my mind at all that Alcoa and Maryville are truly one of the best five teams in the entire state along with Oakland and we have got to see three of them this year.

Alcoa still plays a lot of kids both ways. The big difference is they don't have linemen going both ways. In past Maryville games vs Alcoa Maryville always had better Quarterback play. Alcoa had the better Quarterback this year. Walker Russell is a great player. This year's Alcoa team is by far the most balanced offense they have had under Gary Rankin.